Thread: Marijuana May Stave Off Alzheimer's

Marijuana May Stave Off Alzheimer's

Marijuana may stave off Alzheimer's

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/10/05...eut/index.html

(Gold9472: Wait a second. I thought the FDA released a statement that said Marijuana had no medicinal value whatsoever?)

POSTED: 7:57 p.m. EDT, October 5, 2006

WASHINGTON, (Reuters) -- Good news for aging hippies: Smoking pot may stave off Alzheimer's disease.

New research shows that the active ingredient in marijuana may prevent the progression of the disease by preserving levels of an important neurotransmitter that allows the brain to function.

Researchers at the Scripps Research Institute in California found that marijuana's active ingredient, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, can prevent the neurotransmitter acetylcholine from breaking down more effectively than commercially marketed drugs.

THC is also more effective at blocking clumps of protein that can inhibit memory and cognition in Alzheimer's patients, the researchers reported in the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics.

The researchers said their discovery could lead to more effective drug treatment for Alzheimer's, the leading cause of dementia among the elderly.

Those afflicted with Alzheimer's suffer from memory loss, impaired decision-making, and diminished language and movement skills. The ultimate cause of the disease is unknown, though it is believed to be hereditary.

Marijuana is used to relieve glaucoma and can help reduce side effects from cancer and AIDS treatment.

Possessing marijuana for recreational use is illegal in many parts of the world, including the United States, though some states allow possession for medical purposes.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Eckolaker Guest
    You can't believe anything you hear from an organization with "Federal" in the title.

Show me an example of where I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckolaker
    You can't believe anything you hear from an organization with "Federal" in the title.

Show me an example of where I could be wrong.
    Federal Express?
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

YouCrazyDiamond Guest
    'United Federation of Potheads'

And there are just so many great benefits that I decided long ago to become a lifetime member.

Lol.