Bush to announce transfer of CIA detainees - ABC
Wed Sep 6, 2006 8:48am ET
WASHINGTON, Sept 6 (Reuters) - U.S. President George W. Bush will announce that about a dozen top foreign terrorism suspects held at secret CIA prisons will be transferred to Department of Defense custody and granted protections under the Geneva Conventions, ABC News reported on Wednesday.
Quoting an unnamed source familiar with the president's announcement, the network said the change would apply to all prisoners now being held by the CIA, including Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks and senior al Qaeda leader Ramzi Binalshibh.
The source said there are "about a dozen" prisoners now being held by the CIA.
Up to now, the U.S. government has not officially acknowledged the existence of the CIA prisons, which were revealed by the Washington Post last year, sparking international criticism of the Bush administration.