Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Media Is Telling Us That Iran Is Going To Attack U.S Or Israel On August 22nd

The Media Is Telling Us That Iran Is Going To Attack U.S Or Israel On August 22nd

August 22
    Does Iran have something in store?

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/...jrss=frontpage

(Gold9472: I also heard Tucker Carlson mentioned something about this, and it's also being published on WorldNetDaily.)

BY BERNARD LEWIS
    Tuesday, August 8, 2006 4:30 p.m. EDT

During the Cold War, both sides possessed weapons of mass destruction, but neither side used them, deterred by what was known as MAD, mutual assured destruction. Similar constraints have no doubt prevented their use in the confrontation between India and Pakistan. In our own day a new such confrontation seems to be looming between a nuclear-armed Iran and its favorite enemies, named by the late Ayatollah Khomeini as the Great Satan and the Little Satan, i.e., the United States and Israel. Against the U.S. the bombs might be delivered by terrorists, a method having the advantage of bearing no return address. Against Israel, the target is small enough to attempt obliteration by direct bombardment.

It seems increasingly likely that the Iranians either have or very soon will have nuclear weapons at their disposal, thanks to their own researches (which began some 15 years ago), to some of their obliging neighbors, and to the ever-helpful rulers of North Korea. The language used by Iranian President Ahmadinejad would seem to indicate the reality and indeed the imminence of this threat.

Would the same constraints, the same fear of mutual assured destruction, restrain a nuclear-armed Iran from using such weapons against the U.S. or against Israel?

There is a radical difference between the Islamic Republic of Iran and other governments with nuclear weapons. This difference is expressed in what can only be described as the apocalyptic worldview of Iran's present rulers. This worldview and expectation, vividly expressed in speeches, articles and even schoolbooks, clearly shape the perception and therefore the policies of Ahmadinejad and his disciples.

Even in the past it was clear that terrorists claiming to act in the name of Islam had no compunction in slaughtering large numbers of fellow Muslims. A notable example was the blowing up of the American embassies in East Africa in 1998, killing a few American diplomats and a much larger number of uninvolved local passersby, many of them Muslims. There were numerous other Muslim victims in the various terrorist attacks of the last 15 years.

The phrase "Allah will know his own" is usually used to explain such apparently callous unconcern; it means that while infidel, i.e., non-Muslim, victims will go to a well-deserved punishment in hell, Muslims will be sent straight to heaven. According to this view, the bombers are in fact doing their Muslim victims a favor by giving them a quick pass to heaven and its delights--the rewards without the struggles of martyrdom. School textbooks tell young Iranians to be ready for a final global struggle against an evil enemy, named as the U.S., and to prepare themselves for the privileges of martyrdom.

A direct attack on the U.S., though possible, is less likely in the immediate future. Israel is a nearer and easier target, and Mr. Ahmadinejad has given indication of thinking along these lines. The Western observer would immediately think of two possible deterrents. The first is that an attack that wipes out Israel would almost certainly wipe out the Palestinians too. The second is that such an attack would evoke a devastating reprisal from Israel against Iran, since one may surely assume that the Israelis have made the necessary arrangements for a counterstrike even after a nuclear holocaust in Israel.

The first of these possible deterrents might well be of concern to the Palestinians--but not apparently to their fanatical champions in the Iranian government. The second deterrent--the threat of direct retaliation on Iran--is, as noted, already weakened by the suicide or martyrdom complex that plagues parts of the Islamic world today, without parallel in other religions, or for that matter in the Islamic past. This complex has become even more important at the present day, because of this new apocalyptic vision.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

casseia Guest
    Whoa, whoa, whoa.

The last I read was that Iran was nowhere near being able to enrich uranium to the level necessary to make a bomb. If they have a nuke, they got it from someone. To echo the freaking tagline I've been hearing all day ("This has all the hallmarks of an al Qaeda plan") this has FALSE FLAG written all the fuck over it.

I don't know... I think this is either the media giving us, as George W. Bush said today, a "reminder" that there is danger in the world.

Or, there are legitimate terrorists who want to do us harm.

Or, the Powers that Be have become so completely arrogant in their power, that they're actually telling us when they're going to kill more of us.

They can not sustain the war in Lebanon. Not without pissing off countries like Russia.

They do need another attack in order to further their agenda of attacking Syria and Iran. I have no doubt about that.

casseia Guest
    I agree, and I have no doubt that there are Muslims who would like to blow us up. What I doubt is that there's a STATE that wants to do that. It's just ever so convenient, a great way to start WWIII.

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Pat Buchanan owned some idiot who was spreading this propaganda on Scarborough Country. The guy was talking about how the 22nd was going to be huge (as in the article) and Buchanan rebutted that Iran doesnt have the capability and that guys like that arnt stupid enough to do it because they know they'll be whiped out. The guy stayed quiet.

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Iran could obviously do serious damage to the globe but I don't think they would make the first move.

Iran DOES have the capability. They are in control of one of the largest terrorist organizations in the world. A LEGITIMATE terrorist organization. Not like "Al-Qaeda". If they wanted to, they could strike us anywhere in the world.

However, I think he does have a point in saying that Ahmadinejad is not that stupid.

Which is one of the reasons I wrote this.

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    It's known that Hezbollah has capable cells around the world and is funded/armed by Iran. But I really don't see Nasrallah giving the order to blow up Americans under Admadijad's orders knowing what the response would be in light of what's happening now.

In my opinion I dont think Hezbollah would use there cells to attack targets around the world unless things got critical in there country or Iran was attacked. Jihadists or not, Iran isn't making the first move otherwise they'd tell the UN to go f' themselves with all these resolutions.

Exactly. They wouldn't benefit from it. Not in the slightest. It would not benefit Iran to attack ANYONE because it would bring a nuclear holocaust down upon them.