The Independent Film Channel to Present The 9/11 Film Retrospective in New York City

http://www.911blogger.com/2006/07/in...o-present.html

7/25/2006

Independent Filmmaker John Albanese (“Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometime”) strikes agreement with The Independent Film Channel to present The 9/11 Film Retrospective in New York City, January 2007.

Visit www.crisisinamerica.org for more information on how to submit films for consideration.

“In May of 2006 when I released my independent film during the Tribeca Film Festival at the Tribeca Screening Room, I never could have anticipated that my film would, within weeks, receive international exposure, make the Google Top 100 list, get translated into foreign languages and ultimately get referenced by Congressman Curt Weldon in two of his press office’s press releases.

The demographics are clear. The American public’s growing interest in understanding and disseminating information pertaining to the events of that day in undeniable and clear.

The public is clearly demanding more.

Whether it is information pertaining to the lingering health concerns of New York City residents, issues associated with the ongoing war on terror, issues of accountability and/or clarifying the historical record on exactly what DID happen on that day, or simply an examination of how 9/11 has impacted one individual life – film offers us a unique opportunity to reach the public. Film offers the public a catharsis for healing and understanding.

When 9/11 researcher Nicholas Levis brought to me the idea of organizing a Film Retrospective in New York City, it seemed like a no-brainer. How could we not?

But, as life tends to sometimes get in the way, I was recently diagnosed with coronary artery disease and forced to undergo an emergency angioplasty to restore circulation to my heart. Confronted with questions of my own mortality I was forced to ask myself whether I should, or could, pursue this goal. Did I really want to take on the pressures and stress of launching a Film Retrospective in NYC? Did I really want to run afoul of many of my previous 9/11 activist partners, (as the 9/11 movement in NYC remains fractious, with many different competing agendas and passions – and many previous 9/11 partners who may feel chagrined by my decision to act without them.)?

But upon my discussions this week with representatives of the Independent Film Channel, I have decided that this is simply too important an opportunity to allow any interpersonal, physical or competing activists’ sensitivities to upset. The opportunity to take the issue of 9/11 directly to the public, and to normalize this subject in the public’s eyes, is simply too important to squander. This is a war that we must win.

So, I ask for the entire 9/11 community’s support in promoting this event. I ask for partners, past and present, to rally behind the idea that we can collectively tear down the barriers of ignorance by packing these theaters to the rafters – and sending a clear message to the powers that be that the public, in increasing numbers and strength, is organizing to demand accountability on 9/11.”

Peace
John Albanese

John Albanese, creator of Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime, has secured coverage by the Independent Film Channel of a film retrospective he is putting together for January 2007.

They are taking submissions up until November 1st, 2006, in the following categories:
  • Documentary Film
  • Dramatic (Original or Adaptation)
  • Short Subject Film (Documentary or Dramatic)
  • Music Video

You can find more details on his website here.