Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tobacco May Kill 1 Billion This Century

Cloak & Swagger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    The ONLY thing in my opinion that the Tobacco companies did that was wrong, was lace the tobacco with addictive substances, and say early on that there's nothing wrong with smoking.

It's ultimately the person's decision as to whether or not they want to smoke.
    Gold, are you sure it's just the addictive substances, and not the other hundreds and hundreds of additional ingredients worth being concerned about?
    I agree that it is the person's decision.
    But I also believe that the tobacco companies share the responsibility with public in properly informing smokers and non-smokers on everything that is in their cigarettes.
    The public should be informing themselves more often, and more thoroughly, but even with the information there, people don't seem to care much.
    In those instances, it makes me really wonder if there's something genetically inherent in the human being that makes him/her embrace whatever guilty pleasure even at the ultimate expense of death.
    Sure, the environment can instill the fixation, and western culture has no shortage of influence in that regard. But when the people are basically being told that they're killing themselves, and they keep doing it, well, I'm likely to believe that there's simply a genetic predisposition to seek temporary pleasure at the expense of death + tax, and these companies are simply capitalizing on this trait.

YouCrazyDiamond Guest
    It does seem like a hit piece on tobacco.

For instance, the number of total deaths expected in the 21st century is not mentioned.

And the fact that people make a choice that will potentially shorten their lives by a few years is their's to make. I doubt, however, that it takes all that big a toll one way or the other on human civilization, not even with regard to total costs.

How long we live does not really matter, either. What matters is what we do while we are here.

And yes, it is disgustingly sinister that the tobacco is laced with other ingredients to enhance the addictive qualities. I'll bet these are at least as bad and probably harder on the body with regard to carcinogenic action.

Also, that "fairness" about not subjecting other people to the smoke is most appropriate.