Thread: Dissent: Figuring Out What Works--Direct Action, Popular Resistance - Video Inside

Dissent: Figuring Out What Works--Direct Action, Popular Resistance - Video Inside

Dissent: Figuring Out What Works--Direct Action, Popular Resistance - Chicago Conference
    Rebecca Cerese, Chuck Knowles, Janice Matthews, Ralph Schoenman
    Thanks to www.911truth.org

Video
    Click Here (144MB)

Dissent is the foundation upon which our country was built and on which all positive social change occurs. From the first revolutionary Declaration of Independence from King George and Great Britain people have been fighting to manifest the American ideal of equal access under the law for all citizens with the touchstone of these words:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, - That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

We will explore some important movements throughout history, that were fueled by the power of people and have worked effectively to garner social change. Regular citizens taking a stand, demanding answers and accountability from our government, and achieving varying degrees of success in their endeavors. In recent years, marches and protest that had worked in the past have proven to be less effective. By looking at success stories from our past, and from around the world we hope to brainstorm on a new wave of dissent movements that can help to bring about real change. Come join us and share your ideas.

Ralph Schoenman will join Rebecca Cerese, Chuck Knowles & Janice Matthews, to share his thoughts on "Treason at the Top," addressing the structure of power in the U.S. and, in particular, what it means to build a mass movement.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

AuGmENTor Guest
    Well, only 20 mins left, I have lost any hope of them breakin out the shotguns and the torches and headin for the whitehouse.... Sigh

If you want people killed, that's how you go about it. We are not our enemy.

AuGmENTor Guest
    Yeah I know dude, sometimes I just get a bit carried away thinkin about this shit. I look at it like there is a cancer, and the only way to heal ourselves of it is to get rid of the cancerous flesh. Really, what do you think would solve the whole thing once and for all?

Quote Originally Posted by AuGmENTor
    Yeah I know dude, sometimes I just get a bit carried away thinkin about this shit. I look at it like there is a cancer, and the only way to heal ourselves of it is to get rid of the cancerous flesh. Really, what do you think would solve the whole thing once and for all?
    Rep. Barbara Lee

Mr. Speaker, members, I rise today really with a very heavy heart. One that is filled with sorrow for the families and the loved ones who were killed and injured this week. Only the most foolish and the most callous would not understand the grief that has really gripped our people, and millions across the world. This unspeakable act on the United States has really forced me, however, to rely on my moral compass, my conscience, and my God for direction. September 11th changed the world. Our deepest fears now haunt us. Yet, I am convinced that military action will not prevent further acts of international terrorism against the United States. This is a very complex and complicated matter. Now this resolution will pass, although we all know that the President can wage a war even without it. However difficult this vote may be, some of us must urge the use of restraint. Our country is in a state of mourning. Some of us must say, "Let's step back for a moment, let's just pause just for a minute, and think through the implications of our actions today so that this does not spiral out of control." Now, I have agonized over this vote. But I came to grips with it today, and I came to grips with opposing this resolution during the very painful, yet very beautiful memorial service. As a member of the clergy so eloquently said, "As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore."

AuGmENTor Guest
    Well, I guess that answers it, kinda.... Although I think you found a loophole. If we don't take it back by force, what do we do? I don't think a petition exists that will ever make whoever is most responsible for this say, "oh, yes, so sorry for the mistake, we'll step down now..." It just doesn't sound right. I have killed in the name of these United States Of America before. And it's like a weight around my neck to know that it was done to satisfy someone with their own agenda. NOT with the best intrest of this country at heart. My belief system dictates that at some point I will be held accountable for the lives I have taken. What do I say, "Sorry, I was just following orders?" I guess what I'm saying is, if the rotten core of this cancer that has taken over our country has to be surgically removed (and the renegade white blood cells that defend it) so be it. People less deserving have died on foreign soil and on THIS soil because of these people.

If we don't take it back by force, we take it back by refusing to pay our taxes, and other things of that nature.

AuGmENTor Guest
    Well I'm on that already. But I'm just one guy. How many of us would have to stop before we saw a difference, and what do you think would be the result? Also, what are the "other things of that nature," specifically?

We can protest the vote.

AuGmENTor Guest
    You mean like the two we already know were stolen right out from under us, that the sheep ACCEPTED? I have no political affiliation, but a crime is a crime. And I have little doubt that they yanked those two. And those were obvious. How many that we know nothing about? You ever see the SOAD Video for "Boom"? see all those people protesting? Where did that get us? Total up the # of people represented in that video, (they give you the city name and # of protesters, in case you haven't seen it) That was ALOT of protest, all for naught. Ah well, something will happen, I'm sure.