Thread: Norman Mineta Is Key

Norman Mineta Is Key

Norman Mineta Is Key

http://www.9-11commission.gov/archiv...2003-05-23.pdf

"During the time that the airplane was coming in to the Pentagon, there was a young man who would come in and say to the Vice President, "The plane is 50 miles out." "The plane is 30 miles out." And when it got down to "the plane is 10 miles out," the young man also said to the Vice President, "Do the orders still stand?" And the Vice President turned and whipped his neck around and said, "Of course the orders still stand. Have you heard anything to the contrary?"

How can Dick Cheney be monitoring Flight 77 for 50 miles from the PEOC? The 9/11 Report says he didn't get there until 9:58am. The Pentagon was hit at 9:37 according to the 9/11 Report.

Now you know why Norman Mineta's testimony was omitted from the 9/11 Report.

They re-wrote history to suit their needs.

The best accounts have Cheney at the PEOC by 9:10am.

On 9/13/2001, during Richard B. Myers confirmation hearings for Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he stated that the order to scramble took place "after the Pentagon was struck." So obviously the order Dick Cheney was referring to was not a scramble order, but a stand down order. The reason it took an hour and 45 minutes to scramble a plane, and the reason why the "young man" kept running in and out. Would he need to run in and out if the order was to shoot down the plane? No, he would have received that order, and awaited confirmation of the shoot down to report back to Cheney.

Keep in mind, on 9/11/2001, the responsibility for scrambling planes fell under the secretary of Defense.

CJCSI 3610.01A

Actual Document
    Click Here

As a Director for Operations of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Fry issued an 'Instruction', CJCSI 3610.01A, which superseded earlier Department of Defence procedures for dealing with hijacked aircraft. The document, dated June 1, 2001, effectively stripped commanders in the field of all authority to act expeditiously, by stipulating approval for any requests involving "potentially lethal support" must be personally authorized by the Secretary of Defense, then as now Donald Rumsfeld. The order further requires the Secretary of Defense to be personally responsible for issuing intercept orders.

Fry issued CJCSI 3610.01A for the purpose of providing "guidance to the Deputy Director for Operations (DDO), National Military Command Center (NMCC), and operational commanders in the event of an aircraft piracy (hijacking) or request for destruction of derelict airborne objects." The CJCSI further states, "In the event of a hijacking, the NMCC will be notified by the most expeditious means by the FAA. The NMCC will, with the exception of immediate responses as authorized by referenced, forward requests for DOD assistance to the Secretary of Defense for approval."
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

U.S. Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta grants Jefferson High School journalism students exclusive meeting

http://www.pacificatribune.com/localnews/ci_3754029

(Gold9472: I'm posting this story because it's blatently inaccurate.)

By Jane Northrop
    4/26/2006

Norman Mineta, U.S. Secretary of Transportation and the father of Pacifica's own David Mineta, surprised a group of Jefferson High School students when he visited campus April 18. He was in the Bay Area to meet with the mayor of San Francisco on the anniversary of the '06 earthquake and was rushing in between engagements, but his son persuaded him, and his two Secret Service agents and CHP detail, to give the Jeff students an hour of his time.

School personnel filled the theater to give as many students and teachers as possible an opportunity to hear Mineta. He gave them his insider's view about his momentous decision-making on Sept. 11, 2001. After the planes slammed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and crashed in the Pennsylvania woods, he was whisked away by Secret Service agents. He conducted his business that day from a secure bunker with the other members of cabinet. As U.S. Secretary of Transportation, he faced the decision about what to do with the nation's air traffic. Mineta made the decision to immediately ground all 4,600 planes coming in and out of the country, despite advisors who urged him to allow pilots to use their discretion about where to land, he told the students.

The students loved hearing about how he competed against Jeff athletes as a center for the San Jose High School prep basketball team. Not long after that, however, he and approximately 120,000 Japanese Americans were interned after the attack on Pearl Harbor. Mineta's family were forced to travel far away from their roots and business in California all the way to Wyoming. As a member of the House of Representatives in 1988, Mineta wrote the Civil Rights Act of 1988 that redressed those injustices. After 9-11, when the U.S. government learned of a large community of Arab Americans living in Detroit, Mineta received President Bush's personal assurance they would not be treated as badly as the Japanese Americans of the World War II era, he told the students.

Before he left Jefferson, he granted Jabari James, a reporter from the school's award-winning newspaper, the Tom-Tom, an exclusive 20-minute interview. Other reporters for Bay Area newspapers including the Pacifica Tribune - would have dearly loved to get in on that action.

"I really enjoyed having Secretary Mineta speak to us. I never imagined that I could meet someone as close to the president," James said.

Mineta, a Democrat, began his political career as a San Jose city councilman and mayor. He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1975. Former President Bill Clinton named him Secretary of Commerce. Crossing party lines, President Bush tapped Mineta to serve as his Secretary of Transportation.

Hi there... I was reading your column entitled, "U.S. Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta grants Jefferson High School journalism students exclusive meeting" by Jane Northrop, and I found something odd.

In that story, she states:

"School personnel filled the theater to give as many students and teachers as possible an opportunity to hear Mineta. He gave them his insider's view about his momentous decision-making on Sept. 11, 2001. After the planes slammed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and crashed in the Pennsylvania woods, he was whisked away by Secret Service agents. He conducted his business that day from a secure bunker with the other members of cabinet."

According to Norman Mineta's testimony before the 9/11 Commission, he arrived at the Presidential Emergency Operations Control Center by 9:20am, 17 minutes before the Pentagon was struck.

That contradicts what Ms. Northrop is reporting.

I'm wondering if Norman Mineta has either changed his story, or if Ms. Northrop misunderstood what he said.

Is it possible to get a transcript of what he said?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon Gold

MR. HAMILTON: Let me see if I understand. The plane that was headed toward the Pentagon and was some miles away, there was an order to shoot that plane down.

MR. MINETA: Well, I don't know that specifically, but I do know that the airplanes were scrambled from Langley or from Norfolk, the Norfolk area. But I did not know about the orders specifically other than listening to that other conversation.

MR. HAMILTON: But there very clearly was an order to shoot commercial aircraft down.

MR. MINETA: Subsequently I found that out.

9-11 rekindled painful memories, Mineta says

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...n/14980986.htm

(Gold9472: None of the memories I was looking for.)

By Frank Davies
    7/6/2006

ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Norman Mineta recalled vividly how the nightmare of 9-11 consumed his dream job as transportation secretary and ultimately rekindled bad memories of his own family's internment during World War II.

In the uncertain days after the 2001 attacks, when Arab-Americans feared hate crimes and government overreaction, President Bush turned toward Mineta at a Cabinet meeting.

"We know what happened to Norm Mineta in the 1940s, and we're not going to let that happen again," Bush vowed.

It was a defining moment for Mineta, the former congressman who leaves the job of Secretary of Transportation on Friday, 5 1/2 years after Bush made him the only Democrat to serve in his Cabinet.

"What the president said that day had a tremendous impact on me. It gave me a great feeling," Mineta said during an interview on the deck of his home overlooking Maryland's Rhode River, which feeds into Chesapeake Bay.

It also had an impact on policy. Mineta was a 10-year-old Japanese-American in San Jose, Calif., when his family was shipped to a camp in Wyoming after Pearl Harbor, the searing event of his childhood.

"It happened because many Americans could not distinguish between the people who flew those planes in the attack and those of us who were Americans too," Mineta said.

He didn't want history repeated and ordered airport screeners not to use racial or ethnic profiling.

"I've been criticized for going after blue-haired grandmothers at airports, but I just felt very strongly about this, and I had the president's backing," he said.

Mineta is leaving the Cabinet on good terms with Bush. The president asked him to stay on a few months longer, but Mineta said he has a good job opportunity, which he won't disclose, and can only negotiate further by leaving office.

Only two other original Bush Cabinet members still serve, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Labor Secretary Elaine Chao. At 74, Mineta is the oldest Cabinet member, recovering from serious back surgery. It doesn't seem to bother him when he and his wife, Deni, tool around the Chesapeake aboard their 29-foot Chris Craft cuddy.

The key to his longevity was his relationship with Bush, "my constituency of one," as Mineta puts it, and the recognition that transportation issues are not partisan or ideological.

Working on road, rail and airline issues for 20 years in Congress, Mineta was known for bipartisanship and a favorite mantra:

"There's no such thing as a Democratic highway or a Republican bridge."

He turned down Bill Clinton's offer of the transportation post so he could chair the House Public Works and Transportation Committee. Then he left Congress to become a Lockheed Martin vice president, followed by a brief stint as Clinton's commerce secretary in 2000.

When Bush offered him the transportation job, Mineta weighed the decision carefully.

(EDITOR: BEGIN OPTIONAL TRIM)

Clinton and Al Gore encouraged him to take the job. Former House colleagues warned him of pitfalls. Republican Bill Cohen, Clinton's defense secretary, told him about life as a political outsider in the Cabinet.

"This job was something I was always interested in," said Mineta. "But I didn't want to be seen as a turncoat to Democrats. I told President Bush I would remain a Democrat."

Mineta said he forged an agreement with Bush that allowed him latitude on transportation issues. Unlike former Cabinet members Paul O'Neill and Christine Todd Whitman, who chafed at having policy dictated by White House officials, Mineta said he had the elbow room to work on Amtrak, fuel efficiency standards and other issues.

But there was a tradeoff: Mineta would not intrude on the big controversial issues, from the war in Iraq to the debates over detention and interrogation in the war on terrorism. Some Democrats criticized Mineta for staying in the Cabinet, but he was comfortable with compartmentalizing.

"I didn't get into other people's bailiwicks," he said. "And I didn't expect Rumsfeld to say, `Hey, Norm, you guys are really sucking air on Amtrak.'"

Mineta's record as the longest-serving transportation secretary will be dominated by 9-11, and the actions he took to secure airports, seaports and restore the confidence of the flying public.

On that dark day, working the phones in the White House bunker, Mineta gave the official unprecedented order after three hijacked airliners hit the World Trade Center and Pentagon: "Bring all the airplanes down."

There was no contingency plan for doing this. Monte Belger, deputy administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration, said he would ground all flights "per pilot discretion."

Mineta shot back: "Screw pilot discretion. We have to do this now."

Fourteen months later, Mineta completed a transformation of airline security, meeting 36 mandates on time, from explosive-detection devices at all but a handful of airports to a federal workforce of 65,000 airport screeners, now part of the Homeland Security Department.

"He was just the right person for that job after 9-11. He knew airlines and what had to be done," said former Sen. Alan Simpson, a Wyoming Republican and longtime Mineta friend. He then recalled a conversation with Bush:

"I told George he really picked a good one in Norm. He said, `Boy, do I know that.'"