Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wis. Lawmaker Wants Lecturer Fired For 9/11 Conspiracy Views

Wis. Lawmaker Wants Lecturer Fired For 9/11 Conspiracy Views

Wis. lawmaker wants lecturer fired for 9-11 conspiracy views

http://wfrv.com/wisconsinwire/WI--In...rces_news_html

(Gold9472: SUPPORT KEVIN BARRETT!!!)

Thursday June 29, 2006

MADISON, Wis. (AP) A state lawmaker is calling on the University of Wisconsin-Madison to fire a part-time instructor who has spoken out on his beliefs that figures in the U.S. government, not al-Qaida, were behind the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Kevin Barrett is scheduled to teach a class in the fall in the UW-Madison Department of Languages and Cultures of Asia, UW-Madison Provost Patrick Farrell confirmed in a statement Thursday.

But Farrell said Barrett's comments on a Milwaukee radio talk show "raised some legitimate concerns about the content and quality of instruction in his planned fall course, 'Islam: Religion and Culture.'''

During his appearance Wednesday night on Jessica McBride's show on WTMJ, Barrett disputed most of the widely accepted information about the attacks that brought down the World Trade Center in New York City when airliners were flown into the twin towers.

Among other things, he claimed the group believed to have carried out the attacks was ``a bunch of losers who couldn't even fly planes,'' and that evidence indicates the buildings were brought down by controlled demolitions.

He acknowledged discussing Sept. 11 in teaching classes, but said it was only to give both sides of the issue, not to convert anyone to his point of view.

"I'm trying to teach them how to think, not what to think,'' he told McBride.

On Thursday, state Rep. Stephen Nass, R-Whitewater, issued a statement demanding Barrett be fired immediately, calling him an embarrassment and accusing him of spewing "garbage.''

"Mr. Barrett is free to stand on the street corner and advocate his nutty left-wing views. However, the taxpayers and tuition-paying families shouldn't pay this man one cent to perform his voodoo in a UW classroom,'' Nass' statement read.

Farrell said UW officials would give Barrett's course plans a close review.

"We plan to meet with Mr. Barrett to discuss those plans, review his syllabus, his reading list and examine past supervisor and student evaluations. We expect to complete this process within 10 working days,'' he said.

"Mr. Barrett is entitled to his own personal political views. But we also have an obligation to ensure that his course content is academically appropriate, of high quality, and that his personal views are not imposed on his students.''

There was no immediate response when The Associated Press left a message at a phone listing for Kevin J. Barrett on Thursday night and also tried all other similar listings for comment from him.

According to Farrell, Barrett accepted a one-semester appointment as an associate lecturer beginning Aug. 28. He termed it a 50 percent appointment with a salary of $8,247.

He said Barrett received his doctorate from UW-Madison in 2004 in African languages and literature and folklore, and has taught only one other course since that time at UW-Madison.

This fall's course would be the first taught by Barrett on Islam at UW-Madison, he said.

Barrett also is scheduled to teach in the fall at Edgewood College, a private liberal arts college in Madison.

Ed Taylor, an Edgewood College spokesman, said Barrett was a part-time adjunct faculty member due to teach a class in the fall called ``Topics in Human Issues: Challenge of Islam.''
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Provost’s statement regarding lecturer Kevin Barrett

http://www.news.wisc.edu/12696.html

June 29, 2006

University of Wisconsin-Madison Provost Patrick Farrell issued the following statement in regard to radio talk show statements made Wednesday, June 28, by Kevin Barrett, who is scheduled to teach a class this fall in the department of languages and cultures of Asia:

"Mr. Barrett's statements regarding the events of Sept. 11 have raised some legitimate concerns about the content and quality of instruction in his planned fall course, 'Islam: Religion and Culture.'

"My office, along with officials in the College of Letters and Science and his department, will immediately undertake a review of his plans for teaching this course and his past teaching performance. We plan to meet with Mr. Barrett to discuss those plans, review his syllabus, his reading list and examine past supervisor and student evaluations. We expect to complete this process within 10 working days.

"Mr. Barrett is entitled to his own personal political views. But we also have an obligation to ensure that his course content is academically appropriate, of high quality, and that his personal views are not imposed on his students."

Barrett has accepted a one-semester appointment as an associate lecturer beginning on Aug. 28. This is a 50 percent appointment that has a salary of $8,247. Barrett received his Ph.D. from UW-Madison in 2004 in African languages and literature and folklore, and has taught only one other course since that time at UW-Madison. This fall would be the first time Mr. Barrett taught a course on Islam at UW-Madison.

Lecturer Backed On Talk About 9/11

Lecturer backed on talk about 9/11
    Lawmaker calls for his firing

http://www.madison.com/tct/mad/topst...=89596&ntpid=1

By Aaron Nathans
    6/30/2006

A University of Wisconsin-Madison lecturer should have the right to speak in class about his theory that the U.S. government was behind the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, several students and staffers said in spot interviews this morning.

The interviews also revealed a surprising level of skepticism about the government.

"There's a lot that goes on, we never hear things that are covered up," said Susi Irwin, a classified staffer at UW-Madison enjoying a break with her colleagues on the Union Terrace. "As open as this country is, there are a lot of things we don't know."

And one heavily tattooed man, studying and too busy to chat, said in response to the lecturer's theory: "Wouldn't be surprised."

Kevin Barrett, a UW-Madison lecturer scheduled to teach an introductory class on Islam this fall, said on a Milwaukee radio talk show Wednesday that the United States helped bring down the World Trade Center towers to justify the war in Iraq. State Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said Barrett should be fired.

Provost Patrick Farrell said in a statement on Thursday that the university will review Barrett's plans for the course and his past teaching performance. Barrett, who received his doctorate from UW-Madison in 2004, has a one-semester appointment paying $8,247. This will be his first class on Islam at UW-Madison.

Irwin's colleague, Roberta Mecum, wondered aloud whether the United States is "like the rest of the world," repressing people's right to think.

"What happened to free speech?" Mecum said. "What about the guy who said the world is round instead of flat? He was a heretic, too."

Mecum added that the reaction of President Bush and Vice President Cheney to the news of the attacks showed that they were caught off guard.

A group of first-year occupational therapy graduate students was sitting at a table by the water at the terrace, having just finished an exam.

"I'd rather be shown all sides of it than one side," said Summer Shepstone. "I don't believe most things presented as fact."

"The media tells you everything. What's true, anyways?" said Erin Tauscher.

"The media's controlled by the government," Shepstone said.

"I hope to God it's not true," chimed in Jessica Klatt, referring to Barrett's theory.

"I tend to not even listen to the news," said Katie Knapp.

Inside the Memorial Union, at the cafeteria, Tanya Schulze, a junior, said she trained for the Air Force last year but suffered an injury and received an honorable discharge.

She said Barrett should not be allowed to give the lecture, but he should not be fired.

"That's really tough, with free speech. But I think that's crossing a big boundary," Schulze said. "It's almost like polluting someone's mind."

Wafik Lotfallah, an Egyptian math lecturer, said he strongly disagrees with Barrett's point of view. Lotfallah, who is Christian, said there is a belief among "a fraction" of Muslims that their own people could not be capable of such an awful act.

"I believe that Muslims did it," Lotfallah said. "There's a wide spectrum of Muslim ideology."

"Freedom of speech allows people to talk violently, not act violently. He isn't talking violently, just saying something wrong," Lotfallah added.

Paul Holden of Madison, having breakfast with a newspaper on the terrace, said Nass was just trying to score political points by beating up on the university.

"Steve Nass does not understanding sifting and winnowing," Holden said.

Schulze, who described herself as conservative, said she couldn't understand Barrett's mindset.

"I don't think we'd be sending our troops over and dying for our freedom if we did it ourselves. We're not stupid," Schulze said.

'A bunch of losers': During his appearance Wednesday night on Jessica McBride's show on WTMJ, Barrett disputed most of the widely accepted information about the attacks that brought down the World Trade Center in New York City when airliners were flown into the twin towers.

Among other things, he claimed the group believed to have carried out the attacks was "a bunch of losers who couldn't even fly planes," and that evidence indicates the buildings were brought down by controlled demolitions.

He acknowledged discussing Sept. 11 in teaching classes, but said it was only to give both sides of the issue, not to convert anyone to his point of view.

"I'm trying to teach them how to think, not what to think," he told McBride.

Barrett wrote a widely read opinion column for The Capital Times last month expressing similar views.

The Associated Press contributed to this story. E-mail: anathans@madison.com

borepstein Guest

Letter To The Editor: Rep. Nass Is A Threat To Academic Freedom

Carola Pfortner: Legislator is threat to academic freedom
    A letter to the editor

http://www.madison.com/tct/opinion/l...=89636&ntpid=0

6/30/2006

Dear Editor: State Rep. Nass is calling for the firing of Kevin Barrett, a teacher at UW-Madison and Edgewood College who dared to share his admittedly nonconformist opinion on his own time. Nass states, "Tuition-paying families shouldn't have to pay the salary of someone with such views."

As the parent of three current college students, I beg to differ. We pay $37,000 annually, including Edgewood College and UW-Madison tuition. I would be glad to have such a spunky teacher challenge my kids.

Look up "academic freedom" in Webster's dictionary and find this definition: "freedom to teach or to learn without interference (as by government officials)." It turns out, Rep. Nass is the one who constitutes a threat to academic freedom with his demand.

Universities actually are supposed to produce free-thinkers provoked to have their own opinions by staff that does not walk in lock step and that dares to think beyond the conventional (duh, to use my kids' favorite exclamation).

I don't invest my life earnings in the education of my children to have some small-minded, bone-headed legislator interfere with the very spirit of higher education! A university resisting such threats to academic freedom is actually worth my financial support. UW and Edgewood: Keep Barrett and await my parental monies.

Carola Pfortner
    Madison
    6/30/2006

Jessica McBride And Steve Nass Exposed As MUJCA Agents!

Jessica McBride and Steve Nass Exposed as MUJCA Agents!
    Ambush Interview A False-Flag Attack

http://mujca.com/mujcaagents.htm

By Kevin Barrett

A lot of people thought my letter to the Secret Service was pretty funny. Dylan Avery of Loose Change had it posted even before MUJCA did, and it bounced around the blogosphere like the magic bullet pinging around Kennedy’s limousine.

If you thought THAT was funny, get a load of Jessica McBride’s latest diatribe! If I had to invent a perfect fictional character to publicize MUJCA-NET, I could never have come up with anything half so delicious as the walking talking blond-joke known as Jessica McBride, Ann Coulter’s evil twin. A rabid-as-she-is-vapid Bush-cultist spewing unintentionally hilarious venom in my general direction, Jessica is giving us publicity we couldn’t pay for if Jimmy Walter’s rich uncle died and left everything to MUJCA.

Slow-witted as she seems, Jessica is probably one shapely, well-shaven leg up on her intended audience, the dwindling twenty-something percent of the country that approves of Bush’s performance. Jessica’s ambush interview of me, presumably pre-arranged with Rep. Steve Nass in a harebrained scheme to give me the Ward Churchill treatment and have me fired from my job at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, has completely backfired. I have been getting strong support from ordinary folks on the street, from letter-writers to the local papers, from my colleagues, from the several mainstream media interviewers I’ve met (and the surprisingly balanced stories I’ve read)—in fact, from every quarter except one: that ever-shrinking demographic group of Bush supporters known as TFMs, who are apparently the target group of the backfired McBride-Nass hatchet job attempt to shore up Republican support.

Political analyst Max Udargo explains the predicament that drove them to this pathetic, desperate act:

http://www.udargo.com/mub/2006/05/bu...upporters.html

Bush Losing Core Supporters

WASHINGTON, May 11 – President Bush appears to be losing support among a key group of voters who had hitherto stood firmly with the president even as his poll numbers among other groups fell dramatically.

A new Gallup poll shows that, for the first time, Bush’s approval rating has fallen below 50% among total fucking morons, and now stands at 44%. This represents a dramatic drop compared to a poll taken just last December, when 62% of total fucking morons expressed support for the president and his policies.

The current poll, conducted by phone with 1,409 total fucking morons between May 4 and May 8, reveals that only 44% of those polled believe the president is doing a good job, while 27% believe he is doing a poor job and 29% don’t understand the question.

The December poll, conducted by phone with 1,530 total fucking morons, showed 62% approved of the president, 7% disapproved and 31% didn’t understand the question.

Faltering approval ratings for the president among a group once thought to be a reliable source of loyal support gives Republicans one more reason to be nervous about the upcoming mid-term elections. “If we can’t depend on the support of total fucking morons,” says Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA), “then we’ve got a big problem. They’re a key factor in our electoral strategy, and an important part of today’s Republican coalition.” (for the rest of Udargo’s story, see: http://www.udargo.com/mub/2006/05/bu...upporters.html)

An important part, hell – they’re all the Republicans have left, and Jessica McBride and Steve Nass know it. Well, maybe they know it...they do give some signs of being TFMs themselves.

Let’s take a closer look at some of McBride’s barely-passable sophomore j-school prose. Jessica writes:

“We've been at war for several decades with Islamo fascist terrorists who want to destroy our way of life.”

Jessica, I have some news for you. First, there is no such word as “Islamo.” Second, the main international conflict used to be the Cold War, and semi-morons like you used to brainwash the TFMs into hating the evil Commies, not the evil Muslims. Remember how the CIA recruited Osama, a.k.a. Tim Osman, to fight for us against the Russkies in Afghanistan? Right. I thought you didn’t. For you, the whole universe began on 9/11/01. Since then, WE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AT WAR WITH THE ISLAMO FASCIST TERRORISTS WHO WANT TO DESTROY OUR WAY OF LIFE, just like in Orwell’s 1984, they had ALWAYS been at war with Oceana, not Eurasia, or was it vice-versa. How could all of your pre-9/11 memories have been erased so completely, Jessica? You not that young, Toots. Could it have been through an Apocalypse of Coercion?

Jessica is trying to bring straying Bush voters like Bill Snarpel back into the fold:

Bill Snarpel of Enid, Oklahoma is a total fucking moron who voted for Bush in both 2000 and 2004. But he says he won’t be voting for Bush in 2008. “I don’t like it that he was going to sell our ports to the Arabs. If the Arabs own the ports then that means they’ll let all the Arabs in and then we’ll all be riding camels and wearing towels on our heads. I don’t want my children singing the Star Spangled Banner in Muslim.”

Bill’s fictional comment reads just like a real-life comment on a pro-Jessica blog—it’s hard to tell the reality from the satire these days.

Here’s another comment that raises the question, just who is the TFM here – Jessica or her intended audience?

He (Kevin Barrett) refused to say that Osama bin Laden is an evil man, although I asked him this question several times.

Better luck next time, Jessica – maybe you should try water-boarding me while you repeat the question over and over, like the CIA torturers your lovely cult-leader—I mean, president—has unleashed.

But seriously, folks, I could not believe my ears as Jessica kept sputtering in radio baby-talk, “Is Osama a weely, weely evil man? IS HE?? IS HE??!” My incredulous response was, “Jessica, I feel like I’m talking to a three year old.” The question remains: is Jessica a mental three-year-old, or is it her intended audience? Either way, Jessica is a perfect illustration of the infantilization of the American mind post-9/11 that Susan Sontag famously deplored:

“The discontent between last Tuesday’s monstrous dose of reality and the self-righteous drivel and outright deceptions being peddled by public figures and TV commentators is startling, depressing. The voices licensed to follow the event seem to have joined together in a campaign to infantilize the public.” Susan Sontag, 9/01

Jessica McBride and Rep. Steve Nass are still living in the America of mental three-year-olds that the 9/11 false-flag attacks were designed to create. But the rest of America is growing up. Since the Nass-McBride ambush attempt, I have yet to hear an unfriendly word from my colleagues, from the media folks who have interviewed me, or from the vast majority of ordinary citizens, who have by and large opposed Nass’s call to have me fired from the University of Wisconsin. The online poll is running heavily in my favor, all but one of the call-ins on Ben Merens Wisconsin Public Radio show were supportive, the University administration is standing tall for free speech, my in-box is so clogged with congratulations that I barely have time to do anything else but acknowledge them...and best of all, people are rolling on the floor laughing at Jessica McBride’s blathering rant.

The McBride-Nass ambush attempt fell so flat, and played out so perfectly for me and for MUJCA, that conspiracy theorists are already asserting that it was a MUJCA-sponsored set-up. Now, for the first time, it can be revealed that they are right. “Jessica McBride” is in fact the nom-de-plume of an America-hating conspiracy theorist named Cruella Bin Snottin, who has infiltrated the Wisconsin Republican party on behalf of MUJCA’s devious plan to destroy Western civilization. Cruella, hats off to you—you played your role to the hilt! Never could I have imagined such histrionic perfection in my wildest satirical dreams!

And “Steve Nass,” better known as “the man with one N too many,” is – buckle your hats and hold on to your seat belts – really the guy with one S too many. “Steve Nass” is actually a dumb-ass white-guy persona developed by the Muslim hip-hopper Nas, who decided that hip-hop was dead and decided to disguise himself as a parody of a white total fucking moron to see if he could get himself elected to office. It was all part of a scientific experiment, designed by Nas, to test the hypothesis that “In America, if you’re white, you can get away with anything” – a variation on the better known Charlie Rangel theory that George W. Bush “pretty much debunks the myth of white superiority once and for all.”

So there you have it. The conspiracy has been revealed: Nas can quit the Wisconsin Legislature, let his bleached-out skin redarken, and spark a rebirth of hip-hop; Cruella can slink back to her Afghan cave to rejoin Osama’s harem; and, assuming the University of Wisconsin Provost’s Office continues to do their job sensibly, I can get back to preparing to teach a class on the religion of Islam.

Jessica McBride Interviews MUJCA Co-Founder Kevin Barrett - Audio Inside

Jessica McBride Interviews MUJCA Co-Founder Kevin Barrett
    Thanks to www.911blogger.com

In the almost 4 years I've been interested in the truth regarding 9/11, I have heard 100's of interviews by some of the most amazing individuals. Dr. David Ray Griffin. Barrie Zwicker. Carol Brouillet. Ray McGovern, and so many others. I, myself, have been interviewed on occasion.

That being said, this interview between Jessica McBride, and MUJCA Co-Founder Kevin Barrett, in my opinion, is by far the best I've ever heard.

Kevin, you deserve to be congratulated for keeping your cool while Jessica obviously attempted to slander you, and put you in with the likes of Ward Churchill.

According to Jessica, you're a terrorist sympathizing Government hating extremist who can't tell the difference between good and evil. Personally, I think you're a nice guy.

The information you presented, and in the way you presented it was brilliant. I think I can speak for everybody in saying that we support you, and we think Rep. Nass crossed the line. Thank you Kevin for everything that you do.

Part I
    Click Here

Part II
    Click Here

Part III
    Click Here

Part IV
    Click Here

Michael Wolsey Interviews MUJCA Co-Founder Kevin Barrett - Audio Inside

Michael Wolsey Interviews MUJCA Co-Founder Kevin Barrett

Audio
    Click Here

This broadcast features an interview with Kevin Barrett, founder of the Muslim-Jewish-Christian Alliance for Nine Eleven Truth or MUJCANET.^ Kevin Barrett has taught English, French, Arabic, American Civilization, Humanities, African Literature, Folklore, and Islam at colleges and universities in the San Francisco Bay area, Paris, and Madison, Wisconsin. Kevin recently appeared on the Jessica McBride radio talk show, after which he was attacked by members of the Wisconsin state legislature who have called for his ouster from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, where he is currently scheduled to teach a course in Islamic studies this fall.

Investigation Over 9/11 Teachings

Investigation Over 9/11 Teachings

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2006/07/03/madison

7/3/2006

Two months before the start of the fall semester, one syllabus at the University of Wisconsin at Madison is getting a very thorough review.

Patrick Farrell, Wisconsin’s provost, announced last week that he would review everything about the course “Islam: Religion and Culture,” in light of comments made on a radio show by the instructor, Kevin Barrett. In his remarks, Barrett said that the United States planned the 9/11 attacks as a way to start a war in the Middle East. Barrett also indicated that he planned to share his views during the course this fall.

Barrett, a temporary instructor, received his Ph.D. from Madison in 2004 in African languages, literature and folklore. He has taught one other course at Madison, but it was not about Islam. Barrett is a founder of a group called the Muslim-Jewish-Christian Alliance for 9/11 Truth. On that group’s Web site, he elaborates on the views that he discussed on the radio, writing, for example, about the “big lie” of 9/11 and of the “compelling evidence” that the attacks were “an inside job.”

The comments set off politicians throughout the state, many of whom are calling on the university to immediately fire Barrett. In a typical statement, Wisconsin Rep. Steve Nass, a Republican, said: “This case isn’t about academic freedom. I firmly believe this is a case of protecting students from the academic garbage that Mr. Barrett spews.” He added that Barrett is “free to stand on the street corner and advocate his nutty left-wing views. However, the taxpayers and tuition-paying families shouldn’t pay this man one cent to perform his voodoo in a UW classroom.”

On the radio show and in an interview with a Wisconsin newspaper, Barrett said that he would share his views in class (noting that he would also share what he considers the official, whitewashed version of the events). Madison officials and educators elsewhere typically have an easier job defending the right of professors to espouse views that are widely seen as lies if those views aren’t shared in class. Northwestern University, for example, has repeatedly resisted calls to fire Arthur R. Butz, an engineering professor who is a Holocaust denier, but who doesn’t discuss the Holocaust in class.

In his announcement that Barrett’s plans for the fall course would be reviewed, Farrell stressed the fact that Barrett had talked about views he would share in class. “Mr. Barrett is entitled to his own personal political views. But we also have an obligation to ensure that his course content is academically appropriate, of high quality, and that his personal views are not imposed on his students,” Farrell said.

The review will include the planned syllabus, the reading list, and past teaching evaluations. Farrell said this review was appropriate to deal with “legitimate concerns about the content and quality of instruction.”

Barrett did not respond to messages seeking his comment.

Recent News Coverage Of Kevin Barrett - Video Inside

Recent News Coverage Of Kevin Barrett
    Thanks to www.911blogger.com and DBLS

Click Here (Quicktime)

Click Here (Windows Media Player