Thread: Rep. McKinney Won't Be Charged In Scuffle

Rep. McKinney Won't Be Charged In Scuffle

Rep. McKinney Won't Be Charged in Scuffle

http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8I9I7580.html

(Gold9472: Ok Cynthia. You have nothing holding you back now. We are on the verge of finally ending this nightmare. Half of your constituency supports a new investigation into 9/11. We need you to speak up as you've NEVER done before.)

By LAURIE KELLMAN
    Jun 16, 5:32 PM (ET)

WASHINGTON (AP) - A grand jury declined to indict Rep. Cynthia McKinney on Friday in connection with a confrontation in which she admitted hitting a police officer who tried to stop her from entering a House office building.

The grand jury had been considering the case since shortly after the March 29 incident, which has led to much discussion on Capitol Hill about race and the conduct of lawmakers and the officers who protect them.

"We respect the decision of the grand jury in this difficult matter," said U.S. Attorney Kenneth Wainstein.

His statement, released late Friday, also included support for the officer involved, Paul McKenna, and the Capitol Police. He said, "This is a tremendously difficult job, and it is one that Officer McKenna and his colleagues perform with the utmost professionalism and dignity."

With that, Wainstein closed a case that has simmered with racial and political tension.

The encounter began when McKinney tried to enter a House office building without walking through a metal detector or wearing the lapel pin that identifies members of Congress.

McKenna did not recognize her as a member of Congress and asked her three times to stop. When she ignored him, he tried to stop her. McKinney then hit him.

McKinney described the encounter as "racial profiling," insisting she had been assaulted and had done nothing wrong.

McKinney is black. McKenna is white.

She received little public support for that stance, even within the Congressional Black Caucus.

Wainstein, meanwhile, referred the matter to a federal grand jury, which then subpoenaed several House aides thought to have witnessed the encounter. McKenna, too, testified.

Members of the CBC privately urged McKinney to put the matter behind her. The next morning, she appeared on the House floor to apologize.

"I am sorry that this misunderstanding happened at all, and I regret its escalation, and I apologize," McKinney, D-Ga., said April 6. "There should not have been any physical contact in this incident."
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Call Cynthia, and tell her that the time is NOW

Washington Office:
    320 Cannon House Office Building
    Washington DC, 20515
    Phone: 202-225-1605
    Fax : 202-226-0691

4th District Address
    North DeKalb Mall
    2050 Lawrenceville Highway, Suite D-46
    Decatur, Georgia 30033
    Phone: 404-633-0927
    Fax : 404-633-0968

borepstein Guest
    The time for what?

Quote Originally Posted by borepstein
    The time for what?
    To bring the focus back to 9/11, because she now knows that she has half of America backing up a new investigation. She could have a press conference. She could speak on the House Floor. She could make a motion for a new investigation. She could do a lot of things I would think.

Cloak & Swagger Guest
    She could, but I don't think she will.
    I'm fairly certain she cut a deal to shut up about 9/11 in order to have this other stuff dropped.
    She had her moment.
    She got them good that one time, she was all over Rummy about that letter she requested regarding the missing trillions and war games etc. Rummy kept sidestepping the questions, bringing in other people to answer, and even they had nothing significant to say.

The biggest thing gotten from that confrontation was Myers' refusal to tell her who was in charge of the Wargames. Aside from the pure enjoyment.

You shouldn't allege that she made a deal to keep quiet about things unless you know for sure. We have to call, and let her know that half her constituency wants a new investigation into 9/11. What was the purpose of the Zogby Poll if not to use it for this kind of thing? Ultimately, I don't think she could keep forever quiet.

Also understand this is "wishful thinking" talking.

borepstein Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    To bring the focus back to 9/11, because she now knows that she has half of America backing up a new investigation. She could have a press conference. She could speak on the House Floor. She could make a motion for a new investigation. She could do a lot of things I would think.
    The remark about half of America is at this point slightly exaggeratory, but I see your point. I tend to think that now is just as good a time as any, strategically speaking. Tactically a time right after one of the Administration's many predictable failures may be a good time. By that I mean a situation akin to the aftermath of Katrina last September.