Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom DeLay... a hypocrite? You don't say!

Good Doctor HST Guest

Tom DeLay... a hypocrite? You don't say!

Report: DeLay agreed to let comatose father die
    House majority leader helped make difficult decision in 1988

The Associated Press: Updated: 3:07 p.m. ET March 27, 2005

LOS ANGELES - House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, who has helped lead a congressional effort to keep Terri Schiavo alive, joined members of his own family nearly 17 years ago in allowing doctors not to take extraordinary measures to extend his father’s life, a newspaper reported Sunday.

DeLay had just been re-elected to his third term in Congress in 1988 when his father, Charles DeLay, was severely injured in an accident. As the elder DeLay’s vital organs began failing, the family chose not to connect him to a dialysis machine or take other measures to prolong his life, the Los Angeles Times reported Sunday, citing court documents, medical records and interviews with family members.

“There was no point to even really talking about it,” Maxine DeLay, the congressman’s 81-year-old mother, told the Times. “Tom knew, we all knew, his father wouldn’t have wanted to live that way.”

'Entirely different'
    DeLay helped push through Congress a special law allowing Terri Schiavo’s parents to ask federal courts to order their brain-damaged daughter’s feeding tube reinserted after state courts allowed it to be removed. However, after hearing their pleas, federal judges refused to intervene.

The Texas Republican also accused Schiavo’s husband and the courts of “an act of barbarism” against Schiavo, who doctors say is in a persistent vegetative state.

The congressman declined to be interviewed about his father’s case, but a press aide said it was “entirely different than Terri Schiavo’s.”

“The only thing keeping her alive is the food and water we all need to survive. His father was on a ventilator and other machines to sustain him,” said DeLay spokesman Dan Allen.

Charles DeLay, 65, and his brother and their wives were trying out a tram the brothers had built to carry their families up and down a slope from their Texas home to the shore of a lake when the tram jumped the tracks on Nov. 17, 1988.

Charles DeLay was pitched headfirst into a tree. Hospital admission records showed he suffered multiple injuries, including a brain hemorrhage.

Doctors advised that he would “basically be a vegetable,” said the congressman’s aunt, JoAnne DeLay, who suffered broken bones in the crash.

Like Schiavo, Charles DeLay had no living will, but he had reportedly expressed to others his wish not to be kept alive by artificial means.

He died on Dec. 14, 1988. He hadn’t shown any signs of being conscious, except that his pulse rate would rise slightly when younger son Randall entered the room, Maxine DeLay said.

“There was no chance he was ever coming back,” she said of her husband.

911=inside job Guest
    delay is a real piece of shit!!!!!

danceyogamom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Doctor HST
    Report: DeLay agreed to let comatose father die
    House majority leader helped make difficult decision in 1988

The Associated Press: Updated: 3:07 p.m. ET March 27, 2005

LOS ANGELES - House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, who has helped lead a congressional effort to keep Terri Schiavo alive, joined members of his own family nearly 17 years ago in allowing doctors not to take extraordinary measures to extend his father’s life, a newspaper reported Sunday.

DeLay had just been re-elected to his third term in Congress in 1988 when his father, Charles DeLay, was severely injured in an accident. As the elder DeLay’s vital organs began failing, the family chose not to connect him to a dialysis machine or take other measures to prolong his life, the Los Angeles Times reported Sunday, citing court documents, medical records and interviews with family members.

“There was no point to even really talking about it,” Maxine DeLay, the congressman’s 81-year-old mother, told the Times. “Tom knew, we all knew, his father wouldn’t have wanted to live that way.”

'Entirely different'
    DeLay helped push through Congress a special law allowing Terri Schiavo’s parents to ask federal courts to order their brain-damaged daughter’s feeding tube reinserted after state courts allowed it to be removed. However, after hearing their pleas, federal judges refused to intervene.

The Texas Republican also accused Schiavo’s husband and the courts of “an act of barbarism” against Schiavo, who doctors say is in a persistent vegetative state.

The congressman declined to be interviewed about his father’s case, but a press aide said it was “entirely different than Terri Schiavo’s.”

“The only thing keeping her alive is the food and water we all need to survive. His father was on a ventilator and other machines to sustain him,” said DeLay spokesman Dan Allen.

Charles DeLay, 65, and his brother and their wives were trying out a tram the brothers had built to carry their families up and down a slope from their Texas home to the shore of a lake when the tram jumped the tracks on Nov. 17, 1988.

Charles DeLay was pitched headfirst into a tree. Hospital admission records showed he suffered multiple injuries, including a brain hemorrhage.

Doctors advised that he would “basically be a vegetable,” said the congressman’s aunt, JoAnne DeLay, who suffered broken bones in the crash.

Like Schiavo, Charles DeLay had no living will, but he had reportedly expressed to others his wish not to be kept alive by artificial means.

He died on Dec. 14, 1988. He hadn’t shown any signs of being conscious, except that his pulse rate would rise slightly when younger son Randall entered the room, Maxine DeLay said.

“There was no chance he was ever coming back,” she said of her husband.
    and there is no chance that Teri Shavo is coming back either ...

I must admit that I find the idea of starving to death a bit grewsome ... but I don't know that its any kinder to force her to live in this condition.

aren't all these pro life "doing the will of God" protesters simply deinying Teri the bliss of the afterlife?

somebigguy Guest
    Yeah, that starving thing kind of bugs me too. Seems like there should be a better way. She might be all drugged up and therefore not feeling any pain. Hopefully.

EminemsRevenge Guest
    Beat you to the punch, putz

NOW that i've joined the BB fray, we're gonna cross-pollinate

danceyogamom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by somebigguy
    Yeah, that starving thing kind of bugs me too. Seems like there should be a better way. She might be all drugged up and therefore not feeling any pain. Hopefully.
    well ... everyone *says* she can't feel anything.

but I believe the alternatives drift into euthanasia, and I'm not prepared for the protests on that one.

Good Doctor HST Guest
    I think it's funny when they show pictures of her before, with a kind of smile on her face when her family or husband was in..... now after the tube's out, all of the images they show are her with a more blank, unpleasant appearance.

The T.V. media sure know how to swing topics to one side, huh? She's braindead, has absolutely no control of her faculties, or anything physical, and she "smiles" when her family's near and "frowns" now that the tube has been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Doctor HST
    I think it's funny when they show pictures of her before, with a kind of smile on her face when her family or husband was in..... now after the tube's out, all of the images they show are her with a more blank, unpleasant appearance.

The T.V. media sure know how to swing topics to one side, huh? She's braindead, has absolutely no control of her faculties, or anything physical, and she "smiles" when her family's near and "frowns" now that the tube has been removed.
    You would like Uber... you really would.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Giggles Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by danceyogamom
    well ... everyone *says* she can't feel anything.

but I believe the alternatives drift into euthanasia, and I'm not prepared for the protests on that one.
    I think that as long as her parents can pay for her care let them. Then when they can't pay for her care any more let them let her go. So, instead of letting her starve to death just let her be euthanasia. It's the only respectful way to do things.

danceyogamom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles
    I think that as long as her parents can pay for her care let them. Then when they can't pay for her care any more let them let her go. So, instead of letting her starve to death just let her be euthanasia. It's the only respectful way to do things.
    I thought that was part of the issue ... Since she is still married, technically she is still her husband's responsibility financially. At least that is what I heard.

I'm not personally against euthanasia ... but lots of people are - and if they come out in droves to protest the removal of a feeding tube, just think on what would happen if Dr. Kavorkian showed up.