Thread: Saddam Prosecutor "Accused" Of Bribery

Saddam Prosecutor "Accused" Of Bribery

Saddam prosecutor 'accused' of bribery
    Witness says prosecutor gave him $500 to give false testimony, threatened him if he ever told anyone about it.

http://www.middle-east-online.com/ENGLISH/?id=16609

By Thibauld Malterre - BAGHDAD
    5/31/2006

The chief prosecutor in the trial of Saddam Hussein over the mass killing of Iraqi Shiite villagers was forced to defend himself in court Wednesday against accusations he had fabricated the case.

And for a second time since the trial opened in October 2005, the judge ordered Saddam's half-brother, Barzan al-Tikriti, out of the court after they argued over the judge's ethnic origins.

Defense witnesses have accused prosecutor Jaafar al-Mussawi of coaching witnesses and offering bribes if they testified against Saddam over the crackdown against Shiites from Dujail village after an attempt on the former leader's life in 1982.

"He gave me 500 dollars and they threatened me if I ever told anyone about it," one witness said of Mussawi, in testimony that prompted defense calls for the trial to be adjourned.

"They wanted me to give false testimony against Saddam Hussein in an American military base in March or April 2004," added the anonymous witness who was 14 at the time of the assassination bid.

Defense witnesses charged Tuesday that the prosecutor had visited Dujail in 2004 to drum up testimony against Saddam - and they also claimed many of the alleged victims of the crackdown were still alive.

The prosecution says hundreds of villagers were rounded up after the assassination bid, many were tortured and 148 executed.

Saddam and his seven co-defendants are being tried on charges of crimes against humanity including murder and torture over the crackdown and face execution by hanging if found guilty.

At the start of the latest hearing, the defense showed a video of a man said to be Mussawi attending an anti-Saddam rally sponsored by several of the complainant witnesses in Dujail.

Mussawi denied he had ever been in Dujail and produced in court Abdel Aziz Mohammed Bandar, an official from the Shiite Dawa party, who looks remarkably like the prosecutor and had himself attended the rally.

The prosecutor struck back at his accusers, calling for the witness testimony of the past two days to be disallowed.

"We note that yesterday and today, there has been a fabricated attack against the prosecution, it is obvious that the witnesses are being coached and trained to do that," he said.

Mussawi said he would file a complaint against lead Saddam defense counsel Khalil al-Dulaimi and the Dubai-based Al-Arabiya channel that originally aired the footage from the Dujail rally.

Presiding judge Rauf Abdel Rahman criticized the defense witness allegations, saying: "How can you allow someone to submit testimony to condemn the prosecutor?"

Saddam himself then rose in defense of the witnesses, saying these threats could influence their testimony.

"None of the complainant witnesses get threatened," he said. "Maybe they can say Saddam Hussein is a dictator, but they can't say he is liar or that his hands aren't clean."

Later witnesses reiterated accusations that many of the supposed victims of the Dujail massacre were alive and well or had died of natural causes. And another witness still insisted the prosecutor had been to Dujail.

The trial was adjourned until June 5.

At one point in Wednesday's hearing, a visibly irate judge Abdel Rahman threw Barzan, the former leader's half-brother and Iraq's former intelligence chief, out of the courtroom.

"I have no complex against the Kurds, some of my best friends are Kurds," Barzan said during a long speech.

"Stop referring to me as a Kurd," retorted the judge as he ordered him out of the courtroom. "Every word he utters is like a poisoned knife directed against me."

One of the defense lawyers, meanwhile, said Tuesday that a defense witness who testified recently had been killed, a claim that could not be confirmed.

The trial has been marred by the murder of two defense lawyers and the January resignation of the first chief judge, as well as frequent outbursts by Saddam and his co-defendants.

So far, 46 defense witnesses have testified and once this testimony is complete, defense lawyers will give their closing statements, followed by defendants' final statements, which will mark the end of the trial.

The proceedings could conclude by the end of June, a US official close to the court said last week, with a verdict coming as early as July.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

madthumbs Guest