Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gore: Bush Is "Renegade Rightwing Extremist"

Gore: Bush Is "Renegade Rightwing Extremist"

Gore: Bush is 'renegade rightwing extremist'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1786442,00.html

(Gold9472: Ya think?)

Oliver Burkeman and Jonathan Freedland
    Wednesday May 31, 2006

Al Gore has made his sharpest attack yet on the George Bush presidency, describing the current US administration as "a renegade band of rightwing extremists".

In an interview with the Guardian today, the former vice-president calls himself a "recovering politician", but launches into the political fray more explicitly than he has previously done during his high-profile campaigning on the threat of global warming.

Denying that his politics have shifted to the left since he lost the court battle for the 2000 election, Mr Gore says: "If you have a renegade band of rightwing extremists who get hold of power, the whole thing goes to the right."

But he claims he does not "expect to be a candidate" for president again, while refusing explicitly to rule out another run. Asked if any event could change his mind, he says: "Not that I can see."

Mr Gore, who appeared at the Guardian Hay literary festival over the bank holiday weekend, is promoting An Inconvenient Truth, a documentary and book detailing the climate change crisis that he warns "could literally end civilisation".

The new levels of attention he is receiving have led some Democrats to call on him to run again for president, while others have responded with anger that Mr Gore did not show the same level of passion in the 2000 campaign.

He has since acknowledged that he followed too closely the advice of his consultants during that campaign, and - before he started to scoff at the idea of running again - swore that if he ever did so, he would speak his mind.

In the years since, he has been a steady critic of specific Bush administration policies. He opposed the war on Iraq at a time when most prominent Democrats were supporting it, and more recently spoke out against what he called "a gross and excessive power grab" by the administration over phone tapping.

In the interview Mr Gore also distances himself from Tony Blair on the subject of nuclear power, which the prime minister has insisted is "back on the agenda with a vengeance". Mr Gore says he is "sceptical about it playing a much larger role," and that although it might have a part to play in Britain or China, it will not be "a silver bullet" in the fight against global warming.

In the US, Mr Gore's environmental campaign has sparked a backlash from some on the right who accuse him of scaremongering. A series of television advertisements, launched by a thinktank called the Competitive Enterprise Institute, argue that carbon dioxide emissions are a sign of American productivity and progress.

Mr Gore's true attitude towards a potential return to the White House - or, at least, a potential battle with Hillary Clinton for the Democratic nomination - remains unknown.

At the weekend, Time magazine reported that he was telling key fundraisers they should feel free to sign on with other potential candidates. The magazine quoted unnamed Democratic sources as saying that the former vice-president had also been asking the fundraisers to "tell everybody I'm not running".

Mr Gore would not find it difficult to raise millions of dollars, if he did decide to run. But while public denials might prove a wise campaign strategy - not least by prolonging the period of positive attention Mr Gore is now receiving - actively turning away fundraisers does suggest a firmer resolve not to re-enter electoral politics.

It is significant, however, that Mr Gore refuses to go beyond saying that he has no "plans" for such a campaign. "I haven't made a Shermanesque statement because it just seems odd to do so," he has said - a reference to the famous announcement by the civil war general William Sherman, who unequivocally refused to stand in the election of 1884. "If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve," General Sherman said.
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Please God let Gore become President in 08.

I don't trust him... He seems sincere, but there's just something I don't trust... he was once part of the click...

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold9472
    I don't trust him... He seems sincere, but there's just something I don't trust... he was once part of the click...
    I agree, he wasnt really my fav in 2000. But since Bush has been imposing his police state (or whatever you wanna call it), it's like Al Gore has got that fire he never had during the election. That's what America needs right now, someone with that fire burning inside them and Hillary or anyone else sure as hell dont have it.

Yeah, but... there's still something I don't trust. He was part of the inner circle, and it's hard to trust anyone from there.

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    I may be missing something but I've never read or heard any shady dealings Gore's been directly tied too. This may be a case of him being guilty by assosiation but who knows, I could be wrong. Haven't read anything which suggest others though.

Partridge Guest
    Do you really want Tipper Gore as First Lady?

Say goodbye to freedom of speech in music!

Anyway, Bush, Gore, Clinton, Cheney, Kerry, Edwards - they're all cut from the same cloth. Especially in Gore's case - you don't become Vice President if you don't represent the people that can afford to put you there.

PhilosophyGenius Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Partridge
    Do you really want Tipper Gore as First Lady?

Say goodbye to freedom of speech in music!

Anyway, Bush, Gore, Clinton, Cheney, Kerry, Edwards - they're all cut from the same cloth. Especially in Gore's case - you don't become Vice President if you don't represent the people that can afford to put you there.
    If you refering to censoring rap music then good, bring on Tipper Gore.

As far as being from the same cloth goes, from the democratic side you've either got Hillary or Kerry (S & B). Or your choice of any republican ( ). If that's the case then I'll take the new Al Gore out of this group any day of the week.

Holla!

AndrewLoweWatson Guest
    Call me naive, but I think Gore is an ok guy and way preferable to Hillary. But then I'm not an American so how should I know?

AndrewLoweWatson Guest
    I could not sleep for days after the 2000 election. I knew a great crime had taken place.