Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Court prevents release of most 911 calls made on 9/11

somebigguy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7en
    So the 9/11 calls were from a group of people at a time? They were individuals making those calls, fearing for their lives. So, the 'War on Terror' should allow full breaches into indivdual rights, simply because we were attacked? Are you so willing to give up your rights?

If we open the door to ignoring privacy rights due to the 'War on Terror', what is next?
    Maybe you're right. Personal calls between family members may be kept private, however, other communications such as those between firefighters should be released. Additionally, 9/11 calls should be released. Any situations where privacy was not to be expected.

The Freedon Of Information Act does not cover things like this. The information should be allowed declassified if, 1) it is not a matter of National Security and 2) it does not infrindge on the rights of others.

Privacy being a STRONG deciding point in the Judicial system would prevent the 'FOIA' from overruling.
    What about Independent Investigators?
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

So the 9/11 calls were from a group of people at a time? They were individuals making those calls, fearing for their lives. So, the 'War on Terror' should allow full breaches into indivdual rights, simply because we were attacked? Are you so willing to give up your rights?

If we open the door to ignoring privacy rights due to the 'War on Terror', what is next?
    I don't think that's what SBG is saying... the reason that people like he, me, Christopher, etc... exist is because we don't think the "investigation" was "thorough" (I say "thorough" because that in an UNDERSTATEMENT).

I think SBG wants them released because they should be part of the investigation... now my question is... were they? I don't even know.

Se7en Guest
    Let me make something clear first of all. I have nothing but respect for either one of you, and although I might take a different view on issues, in no way diminishes that respect.

With that being said, you weigh a very tough issue of privacy v. availability of info. Each situation should be examined individually. We can't make a blanket decision to just let everything out, without first examining each case. There might be sensitive info that shouldn't be released, as well as the concern for the families.

I think the courts made the decision that releasing *all* calls would violate privacy, however, I suspect that individual families that brought suits to allow the release of 911 calls made by their family members, would be heard and ruled in favor of.

Guess we will have to see what the families do next.

There's a section in the "9/11 Report" called, "Civilians, Fire Safety Personnel, and 911 Calls" pg. 285

If anybody needs a copy of the 9/11 Report, I have one available.

somebigguy Guest
    As I've said, any communications where privacy was not to be assumed, should be released.

Let me make something clear first of all. I have nothing but respect for either one of you, and although I might take a different view on issues, in no way diminishes that respect.

With that being said, you weigh a very tough issue of privacy v. availability of info. Each situation should be examined individually. We can't make a blanket decision to just let everything out, without first examining each case. There might be sensitive info that shouldn't be released, as well as the concern for the families.

I think the courts made the decision that releasing *all* calls would violate privacy, however, I suspect that individual families that brought suits to allow the release of 911 calls made by their family members, would be heard and ruled in favor of.

Guess we will have to see what the families do next.
    I agree with you in regards to your "blanket decision". Of course we shouldn't be allowed access to every single 911 call ever made, or anything else like that, etc... However, in regards to a murder investigation, the family members should be allowed access to the last voice their loved one ever made...

BTW... I don't think every family member will listen to every other family members' tape... I think they will listen to the ones that are related to them, etc...

Because the original 9/11 Commission/Report was a sham, they should at least be allowed to an Independent Commission for further study...

Of course, to get the PTB (Powers That Be) to say that the original Commission was a sham, will be next to IMPOSSIBLE, so we're back at square 246