Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My Best Experiences In The 9/11 Truth Movement

Toward Justice

http://counterpunch.org/beattie09102010.html

By MISSY COMLEY BEATTIE
    9/10/2010

Our experiences and what we do with them shape and determine our trajectory. Often, they change us gradually; sometimes, they are immediately life altering. So much so that months, even years later, a thought, a song, even an aroma can transport us, abruptly, into the past. Some events are wonderful. Others are brutal.

The phone call from my sister, telling me that Chase was killed in Iraq, is among the brutal.

My nephew, Chase Comley, died a little over five years ago. He enlisted in the military because he believed our freedoms were in jeopardy, a message George Bush gaveled into the American psyche after 19 hijackers used planes as weapons to attack US symbols of power on 9/11.

This week, we mark the ninth anniversary of that turning point, the day that invokes images of death and destruction, and the date that heralded our post-9/11 world with its increased militarism/imperialism resulting in more death and destruction, mainstream media failure, the Patriot Act, a surveillance state, torture, indefinite detention, military tribunals, corporatism, economic collapse, and Islamophobia.

I have just watched 9/11 Press for Truth at the urging of Jon Gold, a friend and fellow member of Peace of the Action. Gold has worked diligently to bring justice for 9/11 families.

Less than two minutes into the film, George Bush says: “Today our fellow citizens, our way of life, our very freedom, came under attack.”

Members of the Bush Administration tell us there were no warnings. Condi Rice states: “No one could have imagined them taking a plane, slamming it into the Pentagon … into the World Trade Center, using planes as a missile."

We learn, however, that 14 nations alerted our intelligence agencies to the threats, and that on the eve of the event, Bush stayed at a resort whose roof was mounted with ground-to-air missiles, a safeguard never before taken.

The film navigates tragedy, fear, courage, hope, perseverance, strength, anticipation, disappointment, anger, disbelief, and futility. Its heroes are those who scratch and claw for honesty. They are the “Jersey Girls,” Lorie Van Auken, Patty Casazza, Mindy Kleinberg, and Kristen Breitweiser, four women whose husbands perished in the towers. There are other heroes, of course, but the Jersey widows, bound by heartbreak, researched, questioned, attempted to connect dots, and walked the halls of Congress. Eventually, they held a rally in DC to unite 9/11 families, form a larger group, and push for a formal investigation. Frustrated by the Bush Administration’s position and a lack of support from the public, they made the decision to open their private anguish to the press. Their efforts, finally, forced George Bush to authorize an independent commission to investigate 9/11.

Patty Casazza uses the word adversaries when she talks about the Bush Administration. It is not an antonym for hero. Villain is, but I’ll stick with Casazza’s noun. George Bush and Dick Cheney resisted the investigation of 9/11 and, thus, became adversaries of honesty and justice. Recall that they insisted on a not-under-oath tandem testimony.

Many readers have written and asked me to address 9/11 as an “inside job.” That’s not my intention. I have no knowledge to support grand conspiracy ideologies. My comprehension resides with family grief and an acknowledgement that the 9/11 Commission was a contrivance that failed to provide a thorough, transparent, and factual assessment.

Evidence can be manipulated or ignored. An investigator can look at what he or she wants and shift an examination in any direction. Even down a road leading nowhere.

A week after my nephew was killed, I poured my feelings into an essay. I was naïve, then, and believed my article might prevent other families from hearing the words my brother received: “We regret to inform you.”

The families who were unwilling to accept the government’s account of September 11, needed assurance that tragedies like theirs would never be repeated. They expected to find answers that would make the world safer for their children.

Their questions led to more questions:

Why did it take two hours for standard air defense operating procedures to be put in place when there was an obvious attack on the United States?

Why, when George Bush had been briefed (August 6, 2001) that Osama bin Laden was determined to strike within the United States, did he do nothing to prevent an attack?

Why, when the north tower was hit, were people told to remain in the building and why weren’t those in the south tower immediately evacuated?

Why was then Attorney General John Ashcroft told to avoid commercial air travel in the days before 9/11?

Why was Henry Kissinger selected to chair the 9/11 Commission when he had an obvious conflict of interest—one exposed by Lorie Van Auken when she asked if his consulting firm had any Saudi clients named bin Laden?

Why did the mainstream media fail to accomplish what Paul Thompson achieved when he compiled an online timeline of reports and articles that became the basis for his book, The Terror Timeline, whose content is the foundation for the film?

Why did the United States invade Afghanistan?

Why did the US allow Osama bin Laden to escape from Tora Bora?

Why were al-Qa’ida and Taliban members flown from Afghanistan to Pakistan?

What role did Pakistan play in 9/11, and why did the US ally with this country?

Why did the chief of Pakistani intelligence (ISI) order Ahmed Omar Saeed Sheikh, a man who was both a member of al-Qa’ida and the ISI, to wire $100,000 to Mohammad Atta?

Why did members of the Bush Administration meet with that same chief of Pakistani intelligence in the weeks and months prior to 9/11?

Why, given all that was exposed by Paul Thompson, did the 9/11 Commission find that the events of September 11, 2001 were the result of a “failure of imagination”?

Americans need to know what happened that day. Why? Not just because we owe it to those who died and to their families but, also, because every single day, our country commits acts of unspeakable horror in the name of 9/11.

Journalist Ron Suskind wrote an article, “Faith, Certainty and the Presidency of George W. Bush,” for the October 17, 2004 New York Times Magazine, in which he said:
    In the summer of 2002 … I had a meeting with a senior adviser to Bush. He expressed the White House's displeasure, and then he told me something that at the time I didn't fully comprehend -- but which I now believe gets to the very heart of the Bush presidency.

The aide said that guys like me were ‘in what we call the reality-based community,’ which he defined as people who ‘believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.’ I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. ‘That's not the way the world really works anymore,’ he continued. ‘We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.
    This is astonishing thought and language. It underscores the hubris of a power-mad administration. And it’s a glimpse into a mindset that, perhaps, allowed terrorists, “determined to strike within the United States,” an opportunity. The Bush Administration was, at the least, negligent. In a very deliberate way. The warnings were there and they were not obscure.

As George Bush concluded his address on 9/11, he said, “This is a day when all Americans from every walk of life unite in our resolve for justice and peace.”

Justice has not been served. Peace seems far from our grasp. The 9/11 Commission was a farce, conducted by “history’s actors,” those aligned with the distortion that: “… when we act, we create our own reality.”

This created “reality” promotes the fear necessary to prevent critical thinking at a time when a premium must be placed on “the judicious study of discernable reality.” Let us not be told what to think, what to believe. We need a REAL, independent criminal investigation of 9/11, justice for the families, justice for families whose troops were sent to avenge a disaster that possibly could have been averted, and justice for those who have died, their lands destroyed, in the countries we invaded in a revenge frenzy.

Please watch the movie, 9/11 Press for Truth, read Paul Thompson’s comprehensive book, The Terror Timeline, and never forget the words often attributed to Martin Luther King, Jr., an admirer of Theodore Parker, the 19th century abolitionist and Unitarian minister, who originally spoke them: “I do not pretend to understand the moral universe; the arc is a long one … But from what I see I am sure it bends toward justice.”
    No One Knows Everything. Only Together May We Find The Truth JG

Coleen Rowley just said this of my facts piece...

"I haven't read all of Jon's carefully researched facts but from what I have read, it's excellent. I'll be reading the rest of it shortly but I will be highly recommending it to all who have questions about 9-11." - Coleen Rowley

One of the stars of "Too Close For Comfort" just posted this on my wall...

The Man Who Helped the 9/11 Bill Fly

John Feal, a 44-year-old from Nesconset, Long Island, was a demolition supervisor at Ground Zero when a giant piece of steel fell toward him.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

By DEVLIN BARRETT
    12/23/2011

Of all the people who pushed a Ground Zero health bill through Congress this week, one of the most important wasn't a lawmaker but a profane, gum-chewing construction worker named John Feal. He only became involved because he was shut out of an earlier 9/11 compensation fund.

Congress passed the $4.3 billion measure Wednesday providing long-term health care and a new compensation program to those who became ill after working at the World Trade Center site. The president has said he will sign it.

The legislative victory came after intense last-minute negotiations. Mr. Feal, who by his own admission struggled to complete high school, played a critical role in hammering out details and then throwing his support behind a new version of the bill scaled back to satisfy Republican concerns about cost.

The two lead negotiators on the deal, New York Democratic senators Kirsten Gillibrand and Charles Schumer were beaming after the vote. An exuberant Mr. Schumer grabbed Mr. Feal.

"You're the man, baby!'' he hollered, though Mr. Feal was right next to him. "I learned what you were made of in that meeting yesterday!''

The 44-year-old from Nesconset, Long Island, was a demolition supervisor at Ground Zero when a giant piece of steel fell toward him. He jumped out of the way, but the steel caught his left foot.

Doctors later amputated part of it.

From a legal standpoint, the most important thing about the injury was its timing. A victim compensation fund created by Congress decreed that only injuries occurring in the first 96 hours were eligible for compensation. Mr. Feal was hurt about a day too late to qualify.

"I think about that all the time,'' he admitted. "What if I had just gotten compensation and gone away?''

Instead, he got angry. And he got loud.

Mr. Feal isn't the first person hurt by the Sept. 11 attacks to lobby Washington.

In 2004, a group of women who lost loved ones in the attacks successfully forced Congress to make sweeping changes to the nation's intelligence agencies. In tearful testimony, they shamed lawmakers to act by sharing their grief.

Mr. Feal shared his anger.

At one point, he threatened to run primary candidates against every single New York Democrat in Congress if they didn't get a vote in the House on the bill. He cursed. He cajoled. And after winning a legal settlement for his injury, he spent tens of thousands of dollars in his own money to provide buses to take the sick and ailing to Congress where they could confront lawmakers opposed to the bill.

In 2007, he tried to donate his kidney to an ill first responder. When tests showed they weren't a good biological match, he donated it to someone else.

He could often be seen in congressional hallways, wearing a bright plaid cap and barking orders to ill first responders—some of them barely able to walk—to track down this or that lawmaker.

Once the deal was struck, Mr. Feal said he found a quiet spot near Mr. Schumer's office and cried.

"How do you say that word, eu…, eu…, euphoria? I felt like the weight of the world was off my shoulders,'' he said. "Now I'm going to advocate for those who deserve this program, and I'm going to advocate against anyone who tries to defraud it.''

Lawmakers pile praise on Mr. Feal for his work, though he insisted he played only a small part, comparing himself to a sergeant among generals. And the final deal doesn't please everyone—a law firm that handled many Sept. 11 compensation claims said Thursday that the new fund had too many limitations. Mr. Feal said the deal was "a 6 or 7 out of 10,'' and would save lives.

After the vote Wednesday, Mr. Feal happened to run into Rep. Steny Hoyer, the No. 2 Democrat in the House, who had been a frequent target of Mr. Feal's wrath.

"I said, 'Congressman, I apologize for being a pain...the last couple of years, but I hope you know my heart was in the right place," Mr. Feal said.

This happened yesterday on Facebook.

Attached Images Attached Images

Here’s a message I got a while back on FB that I never saw…

“Hi Jon, this is _____, your former neighbor at ______________...its been a long while, i hope youre doing well. I just wanted very much to tell you i finally read your pdf and watched the 911 videos about these theories and am convinced so much of it is true. I owe you an apology for not looking into it sooner, but as you know i had some car accidents that took a lot of my energy. I never forgot how nice you were to give me the neck heating pad and monetary support in 2012. I really hope you are doing well, and if youd like to meet somewhere, that would be great. I feel i was lucky to live near to a real investigative documentary hero like you. Youre in my prayers. I hope your orange kitty is doing well too.”

"A lot of people have lost track of the 9/11 issue over the years, but Jon Gold has doggedly stuck with trying to uncover the full truth. He's been a champion for the 9/11 Families, the 9/11 First Responders, he has committed civil disobedience for this cause, wrote a book, did a radio show, turned that radio show into another book, gave the makers of 9/11: Press For Truth the money they needed to finish that film that I was a part of, and more. He's worth listening to, and we need more people like him." - Paul Thompson, creator of "The Complete 9/11 Timeline," and author of "The Terror Timeline: Year by Year, Day by Day, Minute by Minute: A Comprehensive Chronicle of the Road to 9/11--and America's Response"

I asked Paul Thompson for a testimonial for some "street cred" in the cause for truth, accountability and justice for 9/11. He honored me with this. I was also thinking about using it somehow, but I'm just honored he said it. Many thanks to him.