PDA

View Full Version : A New News Station Is Coming

Gold9472
04-03-2006, 06:09 PM
Barrie Zwicker just sent me this email...

Hello Friends and Colleagues:

I think The Real News deserves support -- strong support beginning now if you don't know about it already.

Log on at:

http://www.iwtnews.com/home

I have checked out the principals and IMO they are the real deal, with track records in honest TV documentaries and TV programs with a cutting edge.

They're got their shit together: no advertising, no money from any corner of the establishment. That way lies corruption and eventual loss of independence.

Check it out for yourself.

Real promise in The Real News.
Peace,
---B

somebigguy
04-03-2006, 06:29 PM
The Canadian Action Party sent me the goods on this yesterday.

Gold9472
04-03-2006, 06:30 PM
The Canadian Action Party sent me the goods on this yesterday.

I like the movie on the front page.

beltman713
04-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Is it Internet only, or are they going to try to get on cable and satellite too?

Gold9472
04-03-2006, 06:46 PM
No idear.

beltman713
04-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Did you hear about Ted Turner's recent rant about the sorry condition of the news media?

Gold9472
04-03-2006, 07:04 PM
No.

beltman713
04-03-2006, 07:12 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/29/ted.turner.media.ap/

Ted Turner blasts the media, Bush -- and himself
Turner on the Iraq war: 'This is a big waste of time'

Wednesday, March 29, 2006; Posted: 10:09 a.m. EST (15:09 GMT)

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- Ted Turner took shots Tuesday at the media for its coverage of sex and violence, at himself for losing control of the news network he founded, and at the Bush administration for going to war in Iraq.

The outspoken billionaire philanthropist made his comments as he was being honored for promoting global understanding.

"There's an awful lot of superfluous news, the pervert of the day and someone that shot seven people at a fraternity party," Turner told a crowd gathered at a downtown hotel. "Who needs it all?"

Turner, 67, said he regrets losing control of CNN, which he founded in 1980, to Time Warner Inc. after its merger with America Online.

"I had a sacred trust there and I let it go," Turner said. "I thought there was no way they could phase me out, and I was wrong."

In 2003, Turner resigned as vice chairman of what was then AOL Time Warner Inc. Then, last month, he said he wouldn't seek re-election to the board of what is now simply Time Warner.

As for Bush, Turner didn't mince words.

"We can't afford the war in Iraq," Turner said. "This is a big waste of time.

"I wish we would say, 'We won and we are going home.' We shouldn't be there. Bombing isn't a way of changing people's minds. You do that with education."

Bush lacks a true understanding of the world, Turner said.

"We had a president of the United States who had been out of the country but once before he was elected," he said.

He added, "And this guy has his finger on the nuclear trigger, too -- reformed alcoholic, nothing wrong with that."

White House spokeswoman Maria Tamburri addressed Turner's war criticism.

"Iraq remains a central front in the war on terror, and it's important for the security of our nation to have a Democratic Iraq as a friend and ally," she said.

She had no immediate comment on Turner's remarks about the president's alcohol use.

Bush pleaded guilty to drunken driving in 1976, when he was in his 30s. He has said he quit drinking when he was 40.

Turner, who was awarded the annual Delta Air Lines Prize for Global Understanding administered by the University of Georgia, was asked after the symposium whether he would consider running for president.

"I've thought about it a lot," Turner said, adding that he is almost 70 and his "opportunity has passed."

Gold9472
04-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Interesting.

BoneZ
04-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Is it Internet only, or are they going to try to get on cable and satellite too?
this is from the FAQ's:

Where will I see Independent
World Television?
The answer varies by country and community.

On satellite. We’re presently negotiating satellite carriage in each of our broadcast countries. In the United States, our alliance with LinkTV will bring IWTnews to 25 million U.S. homes through DirectTV and EchoStar.
On digital cable. We're negotiating with digital cable carriers to make our programming available through our own digital channel and Video on Demand.

Public broadcasters & public access stations. Varying by community, public broadcasters will carry individual IWTnews programs.
Online. All IWTnews programming will be webcast and free for viewing. We will also be rolling out short video news items and mini documentaries over the course of the next year on our web site. We plan to make use of new Bit Torrent applications to make online viewing faster, easier, and provide more context, choice and involvement.