PDA

View Full Version : Bush And Blair Privately Agreed WMD Not The Cause For Iraq Invasion

Gold9472
03-27-2006, 04:38 PM
What Bush and Blair Told the Press After Key 2003 Meeting on Iraq

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002236591

By Greg Mitchell
Published: March 27, 2006 10:55 AM ET

A front-page New York Times article this morning about a meeting between President George W. Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair on Jan 31, 2003, is receiving substantial international attention. It gets even more interesting when contrasted with what the two men told the press when they emerged from the closed-door session.

The Times article reviews for the first time the full text of a confidential memo of a two-hour meeting between President Bush and Prime Minister Tony Blair on Jan. 31, 2003. The memo makes clear that the White House was bent on attacking Iraq two months later no matter what, "even if international arms inspectors failed to find unconventional weapons," writes Don Van Natta, Jr.

The memo, written by Blair's top foreign policy adviser David Manning, declares that the two leaders believed that "diplomatic strategy had to be arranged around the military planning." Among other things, the two leaders predicted a quick war and "manageable" aftermath. Bush predicted that it was "unlikely there would be internecine warfare between the different religious and ethnic groups," and Blair agreed.

"The memo also shows that the president and the prime minister acknowledged that no unconventional weapons had been found inside Iraq," The Times relates. "Faced with the possibility of not finding any before the planned invasion, Bush talked about several ways to provoke a confrontation, including a proposal to paint a United States surveillance plane in the colors of the United Nations in hopes of drawing fire, or assassinating Mr. Hussein."

While continuing to emphasize the need to attack Iraq because of the threat of WMDs, the two men not only questioned the existence of WMDs but privately agreed this was not the cause for an invasion in any case.

So: What did the two leaders say when they completed their meeting and went out to meet the press that day?

What follows are excerpts from the transcript of their brief press conference:

THE PRESIDENT: Saddam Hussein is not disarming. He is a danger to the world. He must disarm. And that's why I have constantly said and the Prime Minister has constantly said this issue will come to a head in a matter of weeks, not months….

Q Thank you, sir. Mr. President, is Secretary Powell going to provide the undeniable proof of Iraq's guilt that so many critics are calling for?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, all due in modesty, I thought I did a pretty good job myself of making it clear that he's not disarming and why he should disarm. Secretary Powell will make a strong case about the danger of an armed Saddam Hussein. He will make it clear that Saddam Hussein is fooling the world, or trying to fool the world. He will make it clear that Saddam is a menace to peace in his own neighborhood. He will also talk about al Qaeda links, links that really do portend a danger for America and for Great Britain, anybody else who loves freedom.

As the Prime Minister says, the war on terror is not confined to just a shadowy terrorist network. The war on terror includes people who are willing to train and to equip organizations such as al Qaeda.

See, the strategic view of America changed after September the 11th. We must deal with threats before they hurt the American people again. And as I have said repeatedly, Saddam Hussein would like nothing more than to use a terrorist network to attack and to kill and leave no fingerprints behind. Colin Powell will continue making that case to the American people and the world at the United Nations….

Q Mr. President and Prime Minister, if I could, sir, the arms inspectors made their report on Monday this week. You've both made clear that it's a question of weeks, not months. And here we are at the end of the week and the Iraqis are suddenly inviting the arms inspectors back to Baghdad for further consultations. Could I ask both of you what you make of that?

THE PRESIDENT: Let's see if I can be polite. Saddam Hussein has had 12 years to learn how to deceive, and I would view this as more deception on his part. He expects to be able to convince 108 inspectors that he is open-minded. The only way that he can show that he is truly a peaceful man is to not negotiate with inspectors, is not to string the inspectors along, but to disarm in front of inspectors.

We know what a disarmed regime looks like. We know what it means to disarm. There's no negotiations. The idea of calling inspectors in to negotiate is a charade. If he is going to disarm, he must start disarming. That's the only thing he needs to talk to the inspectors about, is, here, I'm disarming.

THE PRIME MINISTER: Now, why are they calling back the inspectors? I think it's fairly obvious. It's because as the pressure grows, they want to play the same games as they've been playing all the way through. That's why it's important we hold to the path that we've set out. They have to disarm. They have to cooperate with the inspectors. They're not doing it. If they don't do it through the U.N. route, then they will have to be disarmed by force.

Q Mr. President, an account of the White House after 9/11 says that you ordered invasion plans for Iraq six days after September the 11th -- Bob Woodward's account. Isn't it the case that you have always intended war on Iraq, and that international diplomacy is a charade in this case?

THE PRESIDENT: Actually, prior to September the 11th, we were discussing smart sanctions. We were trying to fashion a sanction regime that would make it more likely to be able to contain somebody like Saddam Hussein. After September the 11th, the doctrine of containment just doesn't hold any water, as far as I'm concerned.

I've told you the strategic vision of our country shifted dramatically, and it shifted dramatically because we now recognize that oceans no longer protect us, that we're vulnerable to attack. And the worst form of attack could come from somebody acquiring weapons of mass destruction and using them on the American people, or the worst attack could come when somebody uses weapons of mass destruction on our friends in Great Britain….

And so, no, quite the contrary. My vision shifted dramatically after September the 11th, because I now realize the stakes. I realize the world has changed. My most important obligation is to protect the American people from further harm. And I will do that.

Thank you all very much.

beltman713
03-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Damn, these motherfuckers are so busted, again.

The question is, will this lead to anything this time?

Gold9472
03-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Damn, these motherfuckers are so busted, again.

The question is, will this lead to anything this time?

Actually... this is kinda old (http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8070) already...

PhilosophyGenius
03-27-2006, 06:06 PM
If they can get away with the DSM released, he can easliy get away with this.

Gold9472
03-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Soooooooo... the YBBS scooped the NYTimes?

Gold9472
04-21-2006, 05:19 PM
bump