PDA

View Full Version : Swedes Plan To Colonize The Moon

Gold9472
03-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Swedes plan to colonise Moon

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03/17/swedish_moon_base/

By Lester Haines
Published Friday 17th March 2006 13:15 GMT

We always knew the Swedes were a shifty bunch - softening hearts worldwide with a pleasing blend of inoffensive europop, cheap yet effortlessly stylish flat-pack furniture and fun-loving, pnemuatic blonde fillies - but now the horrible truth can now be revealed: they're planning to colonise the Moon thereby ensuring their own survival as the Earth's resources dwindle and lesser nations are returned to a primitive Stone-Age state enslaved to Sweden's galactic ambitions*.

The proof comes in the form of the innocent-looking SMART-Centre which, according to various reports, has assembled a consortium of more than 50 partners - including Japan's Shimizu Corporation, US NASA contractor Orbitech and the UK's Cranfield University - to turn the centre's Dr. Niklas Järvstråt's dreams of extraterrestrial conquest into reality.

Järvstråt first pitched the idea of colonising the Moon over ten years ago. His plan is to establish a self-sustaining community "where the great circle of life can be sustained in its entirety by lunar raw materials and where all life-sustaining products will be manufactured in situ".

Here's more from SMART-Centre's blurb:

The colony aims to be self-sustaining in its requirements for sustenance, but it will nevertheless function in symbiosis with Earth. As a result, trade between the lunar colony and Earth will flourish, with the lunar colony contributing towards the development of research and scientific activities, such as, for example, the supply of alternative energy based on advancements in Helium3 fusion power, and provision of structural materials for spacecraft and satellites in earth orbit as well as deep space. At this time of potential fossil fuel shortages, threats of global warming, cultural clashes, and population explosion, this concept might well be what stops man's over-exploitation of Mother Earth by uniting governments and nations, scientists and laymen in mutual cooperation and understanding.

Yeah right. Once the Swedes have got their mitts on the Moon, we can see them indulging in "in mutual cooperation and understanding" with those of us left back on Earth.

I'm tempted, at this point, to stick in a reference to Hugo Drax and the creation of a race of blonde space superbeings, but since I have no doubt whatsoever that the Swedes will succeed in their dastardly plan, I'll instead point out to Järvstråt that his Moonstad will certainly need top-quality IT journalists to participate in its breeding programme. My CV's in the post, and I look forward to hearing from you shortly. ®