PDA

View Full Version : Bush Says His Beliefs Unshaken By Poor Poll Numbers

Gold9472
03-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Bush says his beliefs unshaken by poor poll numbers

http://today.reuters.com/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyID=2006-03-10T181356Z_01_N10296043_RTRUKOC_0_US-BUSH-POLLS.xml

(Gold9472: Dicatators don't care about polls.)

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:14 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Down in public opinion polls, President George W. Bush said on Friday he realizes he has made some unpopular decisions but that it "comes with the territory" and he will stand by his beliefs.

"I know some would like me to change, but you can't be a good decision-maker if you're trying to please people. You've got to stand on what you believe, that's what you've got to do, if you're going to make decisions that are solid and sound," he said.

During a question-and-answer session with a national newspaper group, Bush became his most animated when talking about the way he handles his job.

A year into his second term, Bush is beset with a job approval rating below 40 percent, with Americans disapproving of his handling of the Iraq war and the U.S. economy.

His support for an Arab company's attempt to take over management of six U.S. seaports, a plan that caused a rebellion among Republicans worried about a security threat, has also caused him to suffer in the polls.

Bush got started on the topic when asked about a Colorado teacher who had been suspended for criticizing his State of the Union speech in January as "Hitleresque."

"Yes, I think people should be allowed to criticize me all they want -- and they do," Bush said to laughter.

He said polls will not cause him to abandon his core beliefs.

"I understand some of the things I've done are unpopular. But that's what comes with the territory. If you're afraid to make decisions and you only worried about, you know, whether or not people in the classroom are going to say nice things about you, you're not leading," he said.