PDA

View Full Version : I give up!

Partridge
03-08-2006, 05:33 PM
[Partridge: I'm going to elope with the Tooth Fairy and live in Shangri-La!]

Gallup: More Than Half of Americans Reject Evolution, Back Bible
E&P (http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002154704)

A Gallup report released today reveals that more than half of all Americans, rejecting evolution theory and scientific evidence, agree with the statement, "God created man exactly how Bible describes it."

Another 31% says that man did evolve, but "God guided." Only 12% back evolution and say "God had no part."

Gallup summarized it this way: "Surveys repeatedly show that a substantial portion of Americans do not believe that the theory of evolution best explains where life came from." They are "not so quick to agree with the preponderance of scientific evidence."

The report was written by the director of the The Gallup Poll, Frank Newport.

Breaking down the numbers, Gallup finds that Republican backing for what it calls "God created human beings in present form" stands at 57% with Democrats at 44%.

Support for this Bible view rises steadily with age: from 43% for those 18 to 29, to 59% for those 65 and older. It declines steadily with education, dropping from 58% for those with high school degrees to a still-substantial 25% with postgraduate degrees.

Newport wraps it up: "Several characteristics correlate with belief in the biblical explanation for the origin of humans. Those with lower levels of education, those who attend church regularly, those who are 65 and older, and those who identify with the Republican Party are more likely to believe that God created humans 'as is,' than are those who do not share these characteristics."

Gallup has asked this question, in different forms, going back to 1982, but has consistently shown support at 45% or higher for the notion that "God created man in present form."

The most recent poll, last September, posed the question this way: "Which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin and devlopment of human beings." This produced the 53% who chose "God created man exactly how Bible describes it."

PhilosophyGenius
03-08-2006, 05:38 PM
The pollster should also ask them if they also think the world was created in 7 days, God created light right after, and humans suddenly appeared. That way people would know how stupid they are.

EminemsRevenge
03-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Didn't you see the election result that got GW back in the saddle???

Gold9472
03-08-2006, 06:53 PM
"God created man exactly how Bible describes it."

Where is your God now? God created man so they could destroy themselves? Is that why God did what it did?

Good Doctor HST
03-08-2006, 08:31 PM
[Partridge: I'm going to elope with the Tooth Fairy and live in Shangri-La!]

(GD HST: Come visit me. I'll be in the Lost City of Atlantis boning Cinderella....)

Gold9472
03-08-2006, 08:32 PM
(GD HST: Come visit me. I'll be in the Lost City of Atlantis boning Cinderella....)

Hey man, that's my girl!

Gold9472
03-08-2006, 08:32 PM
It took me forever to win her over from Santa Claus.

Good Doctor HST
03-08-2006, 09:14 PM
I got the following from a Rutgers University site. The author's explaining why Christians believe the bible. Here's his take on the historical evidence:

"Individual Christians consider different kinds of evidence important. Not all of the evidence is of the sort that would be acceptable to a scientist or historian.

Certainly historical evidence is important to many people. Because Christianity is founded on God's actions in history, it is important for the Biblical accounts to be seen as consistent with archaeological evidence and any other cross-checks that can be made.

Unfortunately the most critical events can't be cross-checked. We don't have the Egyptians' records of being drowned in the Red Sea (no surprise -- ancient chronicles normally don't record defeats), nor do we have the Roman or Jewish records of Jesus' trial and the subsequent events. Thus we end up assessing the Biblical records somewhat as we would eye-witness testimony: in terms of its plausibility, whether it is the sort of thing someone would make up, etc. (Note that I am not saying that the Biblical accounts actually are eye-witness testimony. The accounts of Jesus' life appear to have been written by immediate followers of the Apostles. It is likely that they are based on information from the Apostles, but the actual authors are not witnesses.)"

(GD HST: Well...... I'm convinced!)

Gold9472
03-08-2006, 09:16 PM
That would be like me writing about Pearl Harbor.

Good Doctor HST
03-08-2006, 09:18 PM
That would be like me writing about Pearl Harbor.

Yeah, and you'd be getting your information from government files, and we know how reliable and honest they are.

Gold9472
03-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Yeah, and you'd be getting your information from government files, and we know how reliable and honest they are.

Exactly.