PDA

View Full Version : Was The Tsunami A Sign From God?

Gold9472
03-13-2005, 02:38 PM
I've been hearing a lot of "hoo-ha" lately about how Christian Fundamentalists are stating that the Tsunami was a "Sign From God", essentially vindicating their belief that the Muslim religions are "Evil".

Thoughts on those %@$^@#$%^ individuals?

danceyogamom
03-13-2005, 03:07 PM
I've been hearing a lot of "hoo-ha" lately about how Christian Fundamentalists are stating that the Tsunami was a "Sign From God", essentially vindicating their belief that the Muslim religions are "Evil".

Thoughts on those %@$^@#$%^ individuals?

I find it rather odd to make it about the Christian God being against Muslims, since Thailand is almost entirely a Buddist country ...

Gold9472
03-13-2005, 03:18 PM
I find it rather odd to make it about the Christian God being against Muslims, since Thailand is almost entirely a Buddist country ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp/hi/image_maps/05/1/1104843605/img/image.gif

Countries Hit By Tsunami/Death Tolls/Religious Affiliations

Indonesia
111,171 people died, while more than 127,000 others remain missing. The exact number of victims will probably never be known. The number of homeless is estimated at 800,000.

Muslim 88%, Protestant 5%, Roman Catholic 3%, Hindu 2%, Buddhist 1%, other 1% (1998)

Sri Lanka
Toll: At least 31,000 people are known to have died, and thousands more are missing. The number of homeless people is put at between 800,000 and one million.

Buddhist 70%, Hindu 15%, Christian 8%, Muslim 7% (1999)

India's South East Coast
Toll: More than 8,800 people are confirmed dead in mainland India, 7,968 of them in Tamil Nadu and almost 600 in Pondicherry (see below for data on the Andaman and Nicobar islands). Thousands more are still missing. At least 140,000 Indians, mostly from fishing families, are in relief centres.

Hindu 81.3%, Muslim 12%, Christian 2.3%, Sikh 1.9%, other groups including Buddhist, Jain, Parsi 2.5% (2000)*

*I could only find India

India's Andaman And Nicobar Islands
Toll: At least 1,894 of the islands' 400,000 people are confirmed dead and more than 5,500 are missing - 4,500 from Katchall island alone.

Hindu 81.3%, Muslim 12%, Christian 2.3%, Sikh 1.9%, other groups including Buddhist, Jain, Parsi 2.5% (2000)*

*I could only find India

Thailand
Toll: More than 5,300 are confirmed dead. More than 1,700 foreigners from a total of 36 countries are among the dead.

Buddhism 95%, Muslim 3.8%, Christianity 0.5%, Hinduism 0.1%, other 0.6% (1991)

Maldives
Toll: At least 82 people have died and 26 are missing. About 12,500 have been displaced.

Sunni Muslim

Malaysia
Toll: At least 68 people are confirmed dead.

Muslim, Buddhist, Daoist, Hindu, Christian, Sikh; note - in addition, Shamanism is practiced in East Malaysia

Burma
Toll: Burma's military junta has put the death toll at 59, but the World Food Programme (WFP) says this may be an underestimate. One WFP employee found 200 households where at least one person was missing. Hundreds of Burmese migrants workers living in Thailand are also thought to have died.

Buddhist 89%, Christian 4% (Baptist 3%, Roman Catholic 1%), Muslim 4%, animist 1%, other 2%

Bangladesh
Toll: Two people have been reported dead in Bangladesh.

Muslim 83%, Hindu 16%, other 1% (1998)

Somalia
Toll: Between 150 and 200 Somalis are thought to have died, with thousands more homeless and many fishermen still unaccounted for. As many as 30,000 people may have been displaced.

Sunni Muslim

Kenya
Toll: One person drowned in Kenya.

Protestant 45%, Roman Catholic 33%, indigenous beliefs 10%, Muslim 10%, other 2%

note: a large majority of Kenyans are Christian, but estimates for the percentage of the population that adheres to Islam or indigenous beliefs vary widely

Tanzania
Toll: Ten people were killed in Tanzania.

mainland - Christian 30%, Muslim 35%, indigenous beliefs 35%; Zanzibar - more than 99% Muslim

Seychelles
Toll: One person was killed in the Seychelles.

Roman Catholic 86.6%, Anglican 6.8%, other Christian 2.5%, other 4.1%

Sources
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html (I knew that would come in handy)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/4126019.stm

danceyogamom
03-13-2005, 03:24 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/bsp/hi/image_maps/05/1/1104843605/img/image.gif

Countries Hit By Tsunami/Death Tolls/Religious Affiliations

Indonesia
111,171 people died, while more than 127,000 others remain missing. The exact number of victims will probably never be known. The number of homeless is estimated at 800,000.

Muslim 88%, Protestant 5%, Roman Catholic 3%, Hindu 2%, Buddhist 1%, other 1% (1998)

Sri Lanka
Toll: At least 31,000 people are known to have died, and thousands more are missing. The number of homeless people is put at between 800,000 and one million.

Buddhist 70%, Hindu 15%, Christian 8%, Muslim 7% (1999)

India's South East Coast
Toll: More than 8,800 people are confirmed dead in mainland India, 7,968 of them in Tamil Nadu and almost 600 in Pondicherry (see below for data on the Andaman and Nicobar islands). Thousands more are still missing. At least 140,000 Indians, mostly from fishing families, are in relief centres.

*I could only find India

India's Andaman And Nicobar Islands
Toll: At least 1,894 of the islands' 400,000 people are confirmed dead and more than 5,500 are missing - 4,500 from Katchall island alone.

*I could only find India

Thailand
Toll: More than 5,300 are confirmed dead. More than 1,700 foreigners from a total of 36 countries are among the dead.

Buddhism 95%, Muslim 3.8%, Christianity 0.5%, Hinduism 0.1%, other 0.6% (1991)

Maldives
Toll: At least 82 people have died and 26 are missing. About 12,500 have been displaced.

Sunni Muslim

Malaysia
Toll: At least 68 people are confirmed dead.

Muslim, Buddhist, Daoist, Hindu, Christian, Sikh; note - in addition, Shamanism is practiced in East Malaysia

Burma
Toll: Burma's military junta has put the death toll at 59, but the World Food Programme (WFP) says this may be an underestimate. One WFP employee found 200 households where at least one person was missing. Hundreds of Burmese migrants workers living in Thailand are also thought to have died.

Buddhist 89%, Christian 4% (Baptist 3%, Roman Catholic 1%), Muslim 4%, animist 1%, other 2%

Bangladesh
Toll: Two people have been reported dead in Bangladesh.

Muslim 83%, Hindu 16%, other 1% (1998)

Somalia
Toll: Between 150 and 200 Somalis are thought to have died, with thousands more homeless and many fishermen still unaccounted for. As many as 30,000 people may have been displaced.

Sunni Muslim

Kenya
Toll: One person drowned in Kenya.

Protestant 45%, Roman Catholic 33%, indigenous beliefs 10%, Muslim 10%, other 2%

note: a large majority of Kenyans are Christian, but estimates for the percentage of the population that adheres to Islam or indigenous beliefs vary widely

Tanzania
Toll: Ten people were killed in Tanzania.

mainland - Christian 30%, Muslim 35%, indigenous beliefs 35%; Zanzibar - more than 99% Muslim

Seychelles
Toll: One person was killed in the Seychelles.

Roman Catholic 86.6%, Anglican 6.8%, other Christian 2.5%, other 4.1%

Sources
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html (I knew that would come in handy)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/4126019.stm

yes, I realize more countries than Thailand were hit ... but my point was not all of the places affected are Muslim ... and with your map - it show that it goes beyond Muslim and Buddist ... some of those are Christian countries as well ...

so if it is a sign from God, maybe he's trying to speak to humanity in general. Telling us to quit all of our petty immature sibling squabbles and get along ...

Gold9472
03-13-2005, 03:38 PM
yes, I realize more countries than Thailand were hit ... but my point was not all of the places affected are Muslim ... and with your map - it show that it goes beyond Muslim and Buddist ... some of those are Christian countries as well ...

so if it is a sign from God, maybe he's trying to speak to humanity in general. Telling us to quit all of our petty immature sibling squabbles and get along ...

Ok... now that I've got my edits done, and your quote correct...

Sadly, I haven't really looked at the numbers for the Tsunami... This wasn't to prove to you that only Muslims were hit, etc...

It was more to show me who was affected by the Tsunami...

Because of the thread's purpose, I added the religions, etc... To make it a more interesting "Debate".

Gold9472
03-13-2005, 03:42 PM
The thing that I find most interesting about those facts is that India was hit harder than Thailand, yet why is Thailand buried in our brains?

danceyogamom
03-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Ok... now that I've got my edits done, and your quote correct...

Sadly, I haven't really looked at the numbers for the Tsunami... This wasn't to prove to you that only Muslims were hit, etc...

It was more to show me who was affected by the Tsunami...

Because of the thread's purpose, I added the religions, etc... To make it a more interesting "Debate".

I think the demographics are extremely interesting ... it shows how far reaching this was and how it hit regardless of religion or political beliefs.

Gold9472
03-13-2005, 03:44 PM
I think the demographics are extremely interesting ... it shows how far reaching this was and how it hit regardless of religion or political beliefs.

It shows to those religious zealouts out there who think this was a sign from God, that God is angry at a lot of people, that's for sure...

danceyogamom
03-13-2005, 03:46 PM
It shows to those religious zealouts out there who think this was a sign from God, that God is angry at a lot of people, that's for sure...

unfortunately, I seriously doubt it showed religious zealouts anything. They view God the way they want to, and interpret earthly actions/events in ways that best suits their beliefs and agenda.

so the blanket statement that it was God punishing the Muslims will most likely stick, since that is a very convenient and supportive statement to their beliefs. *sigh*

Gold9472
03-13-2005, 03:58 PM
unfortunately, I seriously doubt it showed religious zealouts anything. They view God the way they want to, and interpret earthly actions/events in ways that best suits their beliefs and agenda.

so the blanket statement that it was God punishing the Muslims will most likely stick, since that is a very convenient and supportive statement to their beliefs. *sigh*

Yes, but why do we have "Thailand On The Brain" when India was hit harder?

Gold9472
03-13-2005, 04:16 PM
I could imagine certain individuals thinking that those Christians killed did so for cohorting with the Muslims...

danceyogamom
03-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Yes, but why do we have "Thailand On The Brain" when India was hit harder?

It was a random choice on my part. India would have been just as good of an example since its primarily Hindu ...

beltman713
03-13-2005, 07:09 PM
It was a teardrop from god hitting the ocean.

danceyogamom
03-13-2005, 11:27 PM
It was a teardrop from god hitting the ocean.

he must have been having a really bad day ...

Gold9472
03-13-2005, 11:28 PM
he must have been having a really bad day ...

Don't you mean she?

danceyogamom
03-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Don't you mean she?

well ... since I tend to subscribe to the Christian concept of God - no. Their God is quite clearly a man.

I don't think Maab or Isis caused that much distruction in their time. Not even Athena caused that much - and she was the goddess of war ...

Gold9472
03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
well ... since I tend to subscribe to the Christian concept of God - no. Their God is quite clearly a man.

I don't think Maab or Isis caused that much distruction in their time. Not even Athena caused that much - and she was the goddess of war ...

I was trying to be politically correct.

danceyogamom
03-14-2005, 03:55 PM
I was trying to be politically correct.

well knock it off! *lol*

Gold9472
03-14-2005, 03:56 PM
well knock it off! *lol*

Did you see WGST's new Avatar? I would have never have known.

danceyogamom
03-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Did you see WGST's new Avatar? I would have never have known.

yes, I saw it ... I'm glad he figured his life out! Funny, the font on his new avatar looked very suspicially like one you use quite often ... did you help him come to this revelation?

he he he

Gold9472
03-14-2005, 04:04 PM
yes, I saw it ... I'm glad he figured his life out! Funny, the font on his new avatar looked very suspicially like one you use quite often ... did you help him come to this revelation?

he he he :blah1: :blah1: :blah1:

princesskittypoo
03-15-2005, 09:50 PM
i dont think God works that way.

and if we are separating a different god for all people then i want my own god that is only for me...

hummm... what shall i name it?

danceyogamom
03-19-2005, 09:16 AM
... I thought I'd post it in this thread:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/03/17/tsunami.lost.city.ap/index.html
MAHABALIPURAM, India (AP) -- For a few minutes, after the water had receded far from the shore and before it came raging back as a tsunami, the fishermen stood along the beach and stared at the reality of generations of legends.

Or so they say. Spread across nearly a mile, the site was encrusted with barnacles and covered in mud. But the fishermen insist they saw the remains of ancient temples and hundreds of refrigerator-sized blocks, all briefly exposed before the sea swallowed them up again.

"You could see the destroyed walls covered in coral, and the broken-down temple in the middle," said Durai, a sinewy fisherman who, like many south Indians, uses only one name. "My grandfathers said there was a port here once and a temple, but suddenly we could see it was real, we could see that something was out there."

Whatever they saw is back under water and out of sight. But a few hundred yards away, something else came to the surface. The tsunami scrubbed away six feet of sand from a section of beach, uncovering a small cluster of long-buried boulders carved with animals, gods and servant girls.

The December 26 tsunami ravaged hundreds of miles of shoreline across Asia. It killed at least 126,000 people in Indonesia and at least 31,000 in Sri Lanka. In India, 10,700 people are confirmed dead, with more than 5,600 missing.

Mahabalipuram, capital of an ancient kingdom and famous for its elaborate Hindu temples, escaped mostly unscathed, with only three dead and limited damage.

And there's something else the tsunami gave back -- tourists, drawn by heated headlines in the Indian media about a rediscovered Atlantis.

"People are coming to see what the tsunami dug up," said Timothy, who sells sea shells and plastic palm trees at a beachside souvenir stand. "Only because of these new things are people coming."

Tourism is a major employer here, a reflection of a spreading Indian middle class, and the coast road is lined with mom-and-pop resorts and cheap restaurants. If the tsunami scared most tourists away, in Mahabalipuram it also brought some back.

On sunny weekend days hundreds of people now come to take a look at the carvings and splash their feet in the ocean.

"Business is good these days," Timothy said, smiling.

But what did those fisherman see? Archaeologists laugh at the tales of Atlantis and say it may take years of undersea exploration to uncover the truth.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/TECH/science/03/17/tsunami.lost.city.ap/story.lost.city.dig.ap.jpg
An excavation site in Mahabalipuram, India. The city was once the capital of an ancient kingdom and famed for its elaborate Hindu temples.

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/images/1.gif
But nearly everyone around here knows the stories -- cocktails of history and mythology that tell of the great port city that traded with China and Southeast Asia some 1,300 years ago.

This is a town made for legend. It is home to dozens of Hindu temples, baroque stone structures often covered with carvings.

But legend speaks of its most famous temples: the Seven Pagodas, named for the vaguely pagoda-like style of Hindu temples in this part of India. Those temples, which according to myth are said to have once lined the shore, were so beautiful that the gods destroyed all but one -- the so-called Shore Temple, a magnificently carved complex that is now considered a national treasure.

Some fishermen insist they saw more than the six vanished temples when the waters fell back. "There must have been at least 20," said Sunderasan, a young man, gesturing toward the sea. "We had no idea there were so many out there."

Archaeologists say excavations on shore and at sea were already under way before the tsunami struck, and that divers made promising finds of barnacle-encrusted blocks that appear man-made.

So officially, researchers express little surprise at what was exposed.

"The tsunami didn't do very much at all," said Alok Tripathi, who runs the excavations for the Archaeological Survey of India. He dismisses the talk of 20 temples offshore, saying the fisherman believe "every stone is a temple."

But anonymously, fearing they'd be seen as callous, some researchers quietly acknowledge the tsunami revealed more than expected.

"From an archaeological perspective, maybe the tsunami was good. We found some new things," said one, pointing to the exposed boulders.

"But from a human perspective ..." he said, his words drifting into silence. Finally he added: "There was a lot of deaths, a lot of damage, a lot of destruction."