PDA

View Full Version : White House Won't Say Whether They Consider Novelist Global Warming Expert

Gold9472
02-20-2006, 09:39 PM
White House won't say whether they consider novelist global warming expert

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/White_House_wont_say_whether_they_0220.html

(Gold9472: Whomever agrees with Bush is an expert.)

Published: February 20, 2006

White House press secretary Scott McClellan ducked a question from a reporter Monday at a briefing aboard Air Force One over whether President Bush believes best-selling author Michael Crichton is an expert on global warming. Crichton, made famous by books like Jurassic Park, was the subject of a New York Times article that alleged Bush took Crichton's criticisms of global warming at a private meeting seriously. Cricton's 2004 book, State of Fear, sought to debunk global warming, which has been roundly endorsed by scientists around the world.

In the transcript, the reporter asks:

Q But Michael Crichton as an expert or a novelist the President enjoys reading?

MR. MCCLELLAN: The President read his book, and he was glad to have the opportunity to visit with him.

Q -- believes as expert opinion?

MR. MCCLELLAN: I think you should look at what we outlined, Jessica. If you want to ask the President about it, you are -- you're welcome to do that at some point. But I'm not going to get into talking about private meetings that he has.

The transcript in context. Al Hubbard is the President's National Economic Adviser.

Q There was a report on television last night about the -- about global warming and demands contribution to the atmosphere, and so on, was -- is the U.S. government -- does the U.S. care that the polar ice caps are melting? And this whole sort of energy reform that you're putting forth, does the environment play any part in it?

MR. HUBBARD: I'll let Scott take that one.

MR. MCCLELLAN: What was your question.

Q It was a story on "60 Minutes" last night about global warming and -- what's the administration's position on any of this energy reform, or whether it's --

MR. MCCLELLAN: The United States is leading the way in investing in the kind of technologies to help us address greenhouse gas emissions. That's something we -- remember, we're on track to meet the President's goal of reducing greenhouse gas intensity that he outlined. And we also have joined in partnerships around the world to invest in research and development when it comes to climate change. It's an issue that the President takes seriously, and we announced the Asia Pacific Partnership, remember, and that is an initiative to help lead the way to address some of these issues associated with climate change.

Q Do you take Michael Crichton on the issue seriously?

MR. MCCLELLAN: What's your question?

Q There's a story --

MR. MCCLELLAN: I think what I can point to -- I'm not going to get into talking about private meetings he's had, but look at the initiatives we've outlined, look at the leadership the President is providing to address the challenges of climate change. It is an issue that we take seriously, and that's why we've been investing billions in research and development to better understand the science of climate change. That's why we've initiated partnerships, like the Asia Pacific Partnership, to address these issues, as well.

Q But Michael Crichton as an expert or a novelist the President enjoys reading?

MR. MCCLELLAN: The President read his book, and he was glad to have the opportunity to visit with him.

Q -- believes as expert opinion?

MR. MCCLELLAN: I think you should look at what we outlined, Jessica. If you want to ask the President about it, you are -- you're welcome to do that at some point. But I'm not going to get into talking about private meetings that he has.

Thanks.

Uber Commandante
02-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Gold must know that this would draw me out:

State of Fear is an excellent book with well-researched points and lots of graphs and footnotes to original sources. In other words, if Michael Chriton had writtena book about 9/11 and included all of the footnotes, etc. that he has in this book about global warming, we would all be like, "See, how can you refute this? look at all the sources that you can verify".

The book also made me really think about my pre-conceived notions on global warming. Truth demands an open mind. He brings up very valid arguments in this book, and I have used it myself in talking with Gold about global warming, which he accepts without investigation, like most of the nation accepts the official 9/11 story without investigation.

Of course, this is a little off the topic of whether Bush should consider Chricthon, or however the fuck you spell his name, to be an expert, but still - seemed like an apt time to comment on the book.

jetsetlemming
02-21-2006, 07:42 PM
I'd rather trust Chriton than "Day after tommorow".