View Full Version : Iran Jews Express Holocaust Shock

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Iran Jews express Holocaust shock

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4705246.stm

By Sadeq Saba
BBC News
2/12/2006

The chairman of Iran's Jewish Council has strongly criticised the country's hardline president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for saying the Holocaust was a myth.

In a letter to the president, Haroun Yashayaei said the leader's remarks had shocked the international community and caused fear in Iran's Jewish community.

Mr Yashayaei described the Holocaust as one of the most obvious and sad events in the 20th Century.

Six million Jews were killed in Nazi persecution during World War II.

This is the first time that a senior Iranian Jewish leader has openly criticised President Ahmadinejad for denying the Holocaust.

In his strongly-worded letter, Mr Yashayaei asked the president how he could justify what he termed the crimes of Hitler.

Political prejudice
Mr Yashayaei said the Holocaust was a fact of history and not a myth and accused the Iranian president of ignorance and political prejudice.

Iran's small Jewish community is recognised by the Islamic Republic

Iran's small Jewish community of about 30,000 is recognised by the Islamic Republic and there is even a Jewish member of parliament.

Iranian Jews normally do not interfere in political issues and they often support the country's stance on the Arab-Israeli conflict.

In a gesture of loyalty to the Islamic Republic, Mr Yashayaei told the Iranian president that his comments on the Holocaust were against the teachings of the leader of the Iranian revolution, Ayatollah Khamenei.

The letter was apparently sent about a week ago and there is no news whether President Ahmadinejad has responded to it.

beltman713
02-11-2006, 10:02 PM
There are jews living in Iran? I never would have guessed that.

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 10:04 PM
There are jews living in Iran? I never would have guessed that.

There are jews everywhere.

beltman713
02-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah, but, Iran? You would think as much as most arab countries hate jews, no jews would want to live in those countries.

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah, but, Iran? You would think as much as most arab countries hate jews, no jews would want to live in those countries.

Well... I would assume that the populace of most countries are just like ours... know what I mean? Do unto others as they would have done unto you, etc... If you don't screw with someone else, they won't screw with you... it's the leaders, and political propaganda that influence how people react to other people. Most people want their friends and family safe, a home to hang your hat, and enough food to eat. On a larger scale... the U.S. is fucking with the world, and the world is mad at the U.S.