PDA

View Full Version : Conservative Ann Coulter Describes Muslims As Ragheads; Senate Leader Ducks Comment

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Conservative Ann Coulter describes Muslims as ragheads; Senate leader ducks comment

http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Ann_Coulter_describes_Muslims_as_ragheads_0210.htm l

Max Blumenthal
Published: February 10, 2006

Special to Raw Story. Max Blumenthal writes for The Nation and The Huffington Post.

On Friday, February 10, the rock star of the annual Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) was none other than Ann Coulter. Before an overflow crowd of at least 1000 young right-wing activists, Coulter took her brand of performance art to new heights. Afterwards, I caught up with Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist to ask him about Coulter's characterization of Muslims as "ragheads." Before I reveal his response, here are a sampling of Coulter's most memorable lines.

Coulter on Muslims:

"I think our motto should be post-9-11, 'raghead talks tough, raghead faces consequences.'" (This declaration prompted a boisterous ovation.)

Coulter on killing Bill Clinton:

(Responding to a question from a Catholic University student about her biggest moral or ethical dilemma) "There was one time I had a shot at Clinton. I thought 'Ann, that's not going to help your career.'"

Coulter on moderate Republicans:

"There is more dissent on a slave plantation then amongst moderates in the Republican party."

Coulter on the Holocaust:

"Iran is soliciting cartoons on the Holocaust. So far, only Ted Rall, Garry Trudeau, and the NY Times have made submissions."

Coulter on the Supreme Court:

"If we find out someone [referring to a terrorist] is going to attack the Supreme Court next week, can't we tell Roberts, Alito, Thomas and Scalito?"

After Coulter's speech, I approached Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist in the CPAC exhibitor's hall. I asked him what he thought of Coulter's characterization 15 minutes earlier of Muslims as "ragheads."

His reply? "I wasn't there so I better not comment."

PhilosophyGenius
02-11-2006, 02:47 AM
Damn this bitch is beyond stupid.

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 02:49 AM
With everything that's going on right now as a result of those cartoons, you'd think she'd keep her mouth shut. But not Ann... oh no... not Ann.

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 02:49 AM
"I think our motto should be post-9-11, 'raghead talks tough, raghead faces consequences.'" (This declaration prompted a boisterous ovation.)

Scary.

jetsetlemming
02-11-2006, 01:12 PM
With everything that's going on right now as a result of those cartoons, you'd think she'd keep her mouth shut. But not Ann... oh no... not Ann.
Which is why I love her. You don't keep your mouth shut about what you feel strongly about either, gold.

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Which is why I love her. You don't keep your mouth shut about what you feel strongly about either, gold.

Racism is wrong. Promoting racism is wrong. Ann Coulter is wrong. If you agree with Ann Coulter, you are wrong as well.

jetsetlemming
02-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Your comment was about her comment about the holocaust cartoons. She didn't say anything racist then. You said she should keep her mouth shut, dispite that you say what you feel about it and a lot of other topics. Why should she be quiet, just because you disagree?

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Your comment was about her comment about the holocaust cartoons. She didn't say anything racist then. You said she should keep her mouth shut, dispite that you say what you feel about it and a lot of other topics. Why should she be quiet, just because you disagree?

Raghead is not racist?

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Here's the audio of her speech.

Click Here (http://www.bradblog.com/Audio/AnnCoulter_CPAC_021006.mp3)

jetsetlemming
02-11-2006, 02:03 PM
she didn't say anything about ragheads when she was talking about the holocaust cartoons. I don't agree with calling them ragheads but I really don't care if Ann Coulter chooses to. Its a free country. Other things she says I stand behind, she's one of my favorite political personalities. Her point in the comment you made you comment saying she should keep her mouth shut on was that the people she named as possible entrants to the contest have been shown to dislike western religons and judaism. The raghead thing was about something else.

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 02:06 PM
she didn't say anything about ragheads when she was talking about the holocaust cartoons. I don't agree with calling them ragheads but I really don't care if Ann Coulter chooses to. Its a free country. Other things she says I stand behind, she's one of my favorite political personalities. Her point in the comment you made you comment saying she should keep her mouth shut on was that the people she named as possible entrants to the contest have been shown to dislike western religons and judaism. The raghead thing was about something else.

You're reaching. She referred to Muslims as "ragheads". I said that in regards to what's going on as a result of those cartoons, she should keep her mouth shut. Regardless of the cartoons, racism is wrong. One of your "favorite political personalities" is a racist.

jetsetlemming
02-11-2006, 02:13 PM
And I don't care. Funny, huh? I don't see callnig them ragheads as racist. It's insensitive, sure, but at least she isn't blowing anything up or starting fires. I still don't get your point. Everyone else is talking about the cartoons, the riots, and the holocaust cartoon contest, why shouldn't Ann Coulter.

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 02:17 PM
And I don't care. Funny, huh? I don't see callnig them ragheads as racist. It's insensitive, sure, but at least she isn't blowing anything up or starting fires. I still don't get your point. Everyone else is talking about the cartoons, the riots, and the holocaust cartoon contest, why shouldn't Ann Coulter.

Do you think calling a black person "nigger" is racist? "Everyone else" is certainly talking about the cartoons. Ann Coulter is one of the few justifying them. NEITHER "side" should write cartoons that depict the opposite as something they're not. Especially during a time when a war between Muslims and non-Muslims is taking place. It is a form of hatred, and hatred breeds hatred. If you want the murdering to continue, then support what Ann Coulter is saying.

jetsetlemming
02-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Where has she justified the cartoons? And yes, nigger is racist, but it's certainly far more offensive than raghead. Which is more offensive: cracker or honkey? Which is worse: to call someone a name, or start a riot calling for their death?

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Referring to Muslims as "Ragheads" IS racist. It is NO DIFFERENT than saying the word "Nigger". Racism is what prompted the creation of those cartoons. Ann Coulter, a racist, jokingly referring to those cartoons, is a way of undermining the racism that took place. Thereby justifying their existence.

jetsetlemming
02-11-2006, 02:36 PM
She was talking about the Holocaust cartoons, and using it to accuse a few people of anti-semetism. There is a difference between saying nigger and raghead, just like there's a difference between calling someone an indian and calling them a savage (I've been called both). She in no way justified either set of race based cartoon.

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 02:39 PM
She was talking about the Holocaust cartoons, and using it to accuse a few people of anti-semetism. There is a difference between saying nigger and raghead, just like there's a difference between calling someone an indian and calling them a savage (I've been called both). She in no way justified either set of race based cartoon.

Your analogy is wrong.

Calling someone an American would be the same as calling someone an Indian. Calling someone a "raghead" is the same as calling someone a "nigger".

jetsetlemming
02-11-2006, 03:07 PM
I meant calling a native american an indian. It's not PC, it's based an prejudgice. Also, raghead doesn't have any implications behind it. IT doesn't have any violent aura to the word. It isn't anything besides accusing someone of wearing a turban. Big deal. There are worse things to call muslims. I don't care about someone's prejudgices. Everyone has them. It does become a matter of concern when they become violent, but she isn't. The most she's called for id the killing of their leaders and their convertion into christianity. They are calling for the death of everybody. There's a slight difference.

PhilosophyGenius
02-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Don't forget about these quotes as well jetsetlemming:
http://yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4977&highlight=coulter

jetsetlemming
02-11-2006, 03:59 PM
It's funny that those were marked as the worst, most offensive Coulter quotes. There are way worse if you look for them. I read her latest book, I should know. :P

Gold9472
02-11-2006, 06:17 PM
I meant calling a native american an indian. It's not PC, it's based an prejudgice. Also, raghead doesn't have any implications behind it. IT doesn't have any violent aura to the word. It isn't anything besides accusing someone of wearing a turban. Big deal. There are worse things to call muslims. I don't care about someone's prejudgices. Everyone has them. It does become a matter of concern when they become violent, but she isn't. The most she's called for id the killing of their leaders and their convertion into christianity. They are calling for the death of everybody. There's a slight difference.

What is the name of the cloth worn on their head?

BlueStateConservative
02-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Ahem.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
Ann Coulter can say whatever she wants. It's up to you if you want to listen.

Gold9472
02-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Ahem.

Ann Coulter can say whatever she wants. It's up to you if you want to listen.

Can she say fire in a crowded theater if there isn't one?

BlueStateConservative
02-12-2006, 08:46 PM
She can, although it would not be a good idea. Calling muslims 'ragheads' is no worse than the choice words that Liberals have for Conservatives (baby killers, nazis, facists).

Gold9472
02-12-2006, 08:52 PM
She can, although it would not be a good idea. Calling muslims 'ragheads' is no worse than the choice words that Liberals have for Conservatives (baby killers, nazis, facists).

Ok. Just to be clear, a true conservative is someone who favors traditional views, and frowns upon change.

The labels you spoke of are used for the NEOconservatives which are an entirely different animal.

"Raghead" is no different than "Nigger", "Kike", "Spick", etc... all of which are harmful.

The point I was trying to make is that during a time when there is animosity between muslims, and non-muslims, it's best not to throw a match into a puddle of gasoline.

Racism is bad in general, but now it is especially bad.

Now is a time when we should be using diplomacy to work out our differences. Military action is NOT our only resource.

BlueStateConservative
02-12-2006, 09:01 PM
"Raghead" is no different than "Nigger", "Kike", "Spick", etc... all of which are harmful.

Have you ever heard of Lenny Bruce? Here is a bit from Julian Barry's screenplay, "Lenny." It's as true today as it was then:

Are there any niggers here tonight? Could you turn on the house lights, please, and could the waiters and waitresses just stop serving, just for a second? And turn off this spot. Now what did he say? "Are there any niggers here tonight?" I know there's one nigger, because I see him back there working. Let's see, there's two niggers. And between those two niggers sits a kike. And there's another kike— that's two kikes and three niggers. And there's a spic. Right? Hmm? There's another spic. Ooh, there's a wop; there's a pollock; and, oh, a couple of greaseballs. And there's three lace-curtain Irish micks. And there's one, hip, thick, hunky, funky, boogie. Boogie boogie. Mm-hmm. I got three kikes here, do I hear five kikes? I got five kikes, do I hear six spics, I got six spics, do I hear seven niggers? I got seven niggers. Sold American. I pass with seven niggers, six spics, five micks, four kikes, three guineas, and one wop. Well, I was just trying to make a point, and that is that it's the suppression of the word that gives it the power, the violence, the viciousness. Dig: if President Kennedy would just go on television, and say, "I would like to introduce you to all the niggers in my cabinet," and if he'd just say "nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger" to every nigger he saw, "boogie boogie boogie boogie boogie," "nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger" 'til nigger didn't mean anything anymore, then you could never make some six-year-old black kid cry because somebody called him a nigger at school."

The less you say these words, the more powerful they become.

Gold9472
02-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Go into Harlem and call the first black person you see a "Nigger", and tell me how it goes...

BlueStateConservative
02-12-2006, 09:10 PM
I think I could get away with it. I'm black.

Gold9472
02-12-2006, 09:11 PM

Ok... then go into the jewish section of manhattan, and call the first person you see with a black hat, long curls, and a beard, "Kike", and tell me how it goes.

BlueStateConservative
02-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Ok... then go into the jewish section of manhattan, and call the first person you see with a black hat, long curls, and a beard, "Kike", and tell me how it goes.
Next time I go down to the city, I'll try it. Now let me ask you something. How offended would you be if I called you a poopeehead? Not offended at all, I expect. Why is that? Most little kids say that. They say it a lot. So much in fact that it has lost any power it may have had. Lenny Bruce was 100% right. The more you say it, the less power it has.

Gold9472
02-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Next time I go down to the city, I'll try it. Now let me ask you something. How offended would you be if I called you a poopeehead? Not offended at all, I expect. Why is that? Most little kids say that. They say it a lot. So much in fact that it has lost any power it may have had. Lenny Bruce was 100% right. The more you say it, the less power it has.

I would laugh if you called me a poopyhead because kids DO say it. They know that shithead is a "bad word".

If I called you a shithead, would it bother you?

Gold9472
02-12-2006, 09:40 PM
If we continuously murder people, does that mean it will make murder an acceptable thing?

BlueStateConservative
02-12-2006, 09:44 PM
I would laugh if you called me a poopyhead because kids DO say it. They know that shithead is a "bad word".

If I called you a shithead, would it bother you?
Nope. My ex-wife calls me that.

Gold9472
02-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Nope. My ex-wife calls me that.

Does anything offend you?

BlueStateConservative
02-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Does anything offend you?
Yes. Quite a few things do.

Gold9472
02-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Yes. Quite a few things do.

Ok... If someone or some thing repeatedly did any of those things, would that bother you?

BlueStateConservative
02-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Ok... If someone or some thing repeatedly did any of those things, would that bother you?
Of course it would. This is why I avoid those things that bother me. Why should you deny someone their right of free speech just because it upsets you? I hate Michael Moore with a passion. If I see him on tv, I turn the tv off. No infringement on anyone's free speech. he can say whatever he wants, and I choose not to listen.

PhilosophyGenius
02-13-2006, 02:22 AM

"The State not only is authority which governs and molds individual wills with laws and values of spiritual life, but it is also power which makes its will prevail abroad... For the Fascist, everything is within the State and... neither individuals nor groups are outside the State... For Fascism, the State is an absolute, before which individuals or groups are only relative... Liberalism denied the State in the name of the individual; Fascism reasserts the rights of the State as expressing the real essence of the individual." - Benito Mussolini

Uber Commandante
02-13-2006, 02:48 PM

Not so fast, BSC -

Brandenburg v. Ohio, which ruled that speech could only be banned when it was directed to and likely to incite imminent lawless action (e.g. a riot), the test which remains until this day

Therefor, yelling FIRE in a crowded theature is not considered protected speech.

However, calling someone a Raghead, although rascist and insensative, IS protected speech. Of course, it also shows the IMMENSE ignorance of Ann, because the vast majority of Muslims don't wear turbans on their head; Followers of the Sikh religion do. Out of respect for their God, Sikh men never cut their hair, and so the turban keeps it wrapped up and out of their faces.

Yes, there is a traditional muslim headress, as well, called a Ghutra - you will see those more in Islamic fundamentalist cultures, like Saudi Arabia. Of course, if we listen to Bush fundamentalist, it was the secular Iraqis' that attacked us, and they don't wear any headress (except maybe a Yankees baseball cap).

Gold9472
02-13-2006, 03:09 PM
:)

Gold9472
02-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Braniac.

jetsetlemming
02-14-2006, 08:37 PM
What is the name of the cloth worn on their head?
I'm used to hearing it called a turban, though I'm pretty sure there's another arabic word for it.

jetsetlemming
02-14-2006, 08:43 PM
You know, I've yet to see any Coulter riots on the tv, caused by those just HORRIBLE comments made by one political commenter known for saying stuff like that. In fact, I've never ever heard anyone but you, Gold, and John Kerry get all hot and bothered over anything Ann Coulter said.

jetsetlemming
02-14-2006, 08:44 PM
DAMN! you got served! :P

jetsetlemming
02-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Ok. Just to be clear, a true conservative is someone who favors traditional views, and frowns upon change.

The labels you spoke of are used for the NEOconservatives which are an entirely different animal.

The point I was trying to make is that during a time when there is animosity between muslims, and non-muslims, it's best not to throw a match into a puddle of gasoline.

Racism is bad in general, but now it is especially bad.

Now is a time when we should be using diplomacy to work out our differences. Military action is NOT our only resource.
1: "Conservative" and "Traditionalist" are two different things. conservatives are a group of people who believe in a set of ideas and work to get those ideas accepted at large by the populace, just like liberals. Conservative ideals have more public support than liberal ones, which is why George Bush can get elected and re-elected.
2: The middle east situation is in no way a mere puddle, and it has long been lit. It needs no help from Ann Coulter to burn.
3: The wrongness of racism doesn't change. Only the methods with which it is acted apon.

Uber Commandante
02-14-2006, 11:31 PM
1: "Conservative" and "Traditionalist" are two different things. conservatives are a group of people who believe in a set of ideas and work to get those ideas accepted at large by the populace, just like liberals. Conservative ideals have more public support than liberal ones, which is why George Bush can get elected and re-elected.

(cough, cough)Is that what 'elected' passes for these days?

2: The middle east situation is in no way a mere puddle, and it has long been lit. It needs no help from Ann Coulter to burn.

Jon was making an analogy. Maybe you were joking.

3: The wrongness of racism doesn't change. Only the methods with which it is acted apon.

Not sure what the second sentence means exactly, but I think I get the gist.

Anyway...Lets just agree that you're wrong on all parts, and make it an even three-fer.

jetsetlemming
02-15-2006, 05:37 PM
The middle east is already covered in violence and riots. That violence and those riots did not get worse due to ann coulter's comments. She didn't make the situation worse, as Gold was suggesting, because it can't get any worse. Yes, becoming president twice does count as being elected. And how someone acts apon their prejudgeses changes how wrong they are. If they use racial slurs and stereotypes, they are "ignorant". If they attack and persecute others (such as the rioters in the middle east) are blatantly wrong and need to be stopped.