PDA

View Full Version : Christine's 9/11 Con: Safe For You And Me

Gold9472
02-10-2006, 05:23 PM
CHRISTINE'S 9/11 CON: SAFE FOR YOU AND ME

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/letters/59831.htm

February 10, 2006 -- THE ISSUE: Ex-EPA boss Whitman's post-9/11 claim that it was safe to return to Downtown.

It was former EPA Commissioner Christine Todd Whitman's responsibility to make certain all volunteers working at Ground Zero were equipped with hazardous-material protection gear and to properly inform these heroic volunteers that failure to exercise precautionary measures could likely result in life-threatening problems in the future ("Judging Her Own Case," Editorial, Feb. 4).

It is one thing for Whitman to unintentionally issue claims that were "too rosy," but it is quite another thing for the EPA's own inspector general to admit her statements "lacked sufficient data."

Instead of worrying about class-action lawyers drooling at the prospects of winning their lawsuit, The Post should be focusing its energies on ensuring political appointees are sufficiently knowledgeable in the areas they have been given great responsibility for.

Bob Moffitt
Sloatsburg

It's about time someone saw that what Whitman did was criminal — lying about the safety of 9/11 air quality.

Prison time and a steep fine against her personal wealth to partially compensate the victims' kin would only be a first step.

I hope I live long enough to see a Nuremberg-style trial for the whole group of Bush conspirators. It might take 10 or 20 years, but I can wait.

Paul Sheridan
Brooklyn

Whitman is just one person who should be censured for the "conscience-shocking" EPA pronouncements.

These releases have Bush-Cheney fingerprints all over them. They, too, must be held responsible for their mendacious duplicity.

Kevin Koerper
Manhattan

If the air around Ground Zero was safe, why did Whitman have a mask on her face until the cameras were focused on her, when she then removed it and held it in her hand?

Sure, it's safe — as long as she didn't have to live or work there.

Carol Culkin
Tarrytown