PDA

View Full Version : Prince Harry will fight in Iraq

beltman713
02-01-2006, 05:25 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/02/01/nharry01.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/02/01/ixnewstop.html

Prince Harry will fight in Iraq

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/graphics/2006/02/01/nharry01.jpg
Prince Harry will complete his training at Sandhurst in April

Prince Harry is to be sent to Iraq next year as a troop commander and is likely to patrol the hazardous border with Iran, defence sources have disclosed.

The third in line to the throne will join the Army's 1st Mechanised Brigade, which will be deployed to Basra in May 2007.

The prince has told colleagues that he is determined to go on operations and be treated as normally as possible - not kept out of the line of fire.

Defence chiefs, in consultation with the Prince of Wales's office, will have to devise a plan that will not put his life or those of his troops in any greater danger. Substantial planning will go into the deployment and the media is likely to be asked for co-operation on security aspects of the mission.

As a troop commander in the Blues and Royals (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/01/26/nharry26.xml), the prince will have the rank of cornet, equivalent to a second lieutenant, in charge of 11 men and four light tanks.

The reconnaissance formation will patrol the long border with Iran where weapons, insurgents, drugs and money are smuggled.

The prince's men will use night vision equipment to find terrorists trying to bring in sophisticated bomb making devices.

The desert patrols last up to 10 days with supplies being dropped from aircraft. The work is said to appeal to the soldiers as a mixture of Lawrence of Arabia and Prince 'is a cracking officer' the early SAS long-range desert patrols of the Second World War.

Although the mission will be hazardous, the prince is keen that his royal position will not disqualify him.

"There's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country," he has said.

Instructors at Sandhurst have been impressed by Prince Harry's approach. "He is going to be a real asset to the Army," a senior officer said. "It would be a real shame if the Palace or MoD did not allow him to go on operations because he is a cracking officer."

26 January 2006: Harry the cavalryman could be posted to Iraq

PhilosophyGenius
02-01-2006, 05:30 PM
I suddenly have a new found respect for this guy.

911=inside job
02-01-2006, 05:48 PM
i think hes a retard!!!

Partridge
02-01-2006, 05:53 PM
I second that 911=IJ. Though if he got killed it might take the UK out of the war.

I doubt he'll be allowed go though.

PhilosophyGenius
02-01-2006, 05:54 PM
"i think hes a retard!!!"

Don't get me wrong, war is bad. But ya know how people always blast leaders for sending other kids to die and not there own...Harry actually volunteered.

PhilosophyGenius
02-01-2006, 05:57 PM
I second that 911=IJ. Though if he got killed it might take the UK out of the war.

I doubt he'll be allowed go though.

If his daddy pulls strings and gets him out then the royal family would just become one big joke (if they weren't already-by some peoples opinions). But if his dad lets him, then that's brave of that family considering they're royals and very well off.

Gold9472
02-01-2006, 06:04 PM
This is a publicity stunt meant to take the focus off of the actual war, and place it on the celebrity that is Prince Harry.

PhilosophyGenius
02-01-2006, 06:07 PM
This is a publicity stunt meant to take the focus off of the actual war, and place it on the celebrity that is Prince Harry.

Maybe considering the fact that Harry's been in the military for years, and goes to Iraq at the same time Britain is considering a troop reduction (or are reducing troops).

And the Royal Family get's there war hero.

beltman713
02-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Maybe considering the fact that Harry's been in the military for years, and goes to Iraq at the same time Britain is considering a troop reduction (or are reducing troops).

And the Royal Family get's there war hero.
Exactly what I was thinking, by 2007 the UK may not have anymore troops in Iraq.

ThotPolice
02-02-2006, 04:04 PM
This is a pr stunt to fool the people into thinking all classes have a part when really it is the upper class sending the lower class into war.

The states did the same thing with elvis in ww2.

Harry wont be in any physical danger ever.

911=inside job
02-02-2006, 04:50 PM
This is a pr stunt to fool the people into thinking all classes have a part when really it is the upper class sending the lower class into war.

and it sure makes him look better then getting drunk and smoking pot...

i heard the bush girls are going next year...

jetsetlemming
02-03-2006, 01:18 PM

Hey, the king volunteered himself. The u.s. didn't send him, he went along. It was great for morale but that doesn't make it planned by the gov. Most country music fans don't really look at their favorite artists as "upper class" anyway.

Partridge
02-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Elvis is 'country'?

jetsetlemming
02-03-2006, 02:25 PM
He's the king of rock and roll, but his actual music is borderline. He's got more country fans than rock fans anyway. How many northerners still listen to Elvis anyway? Johnny Cash is way more popular among your typical rock fan (even I've got a cd of his).

Simply_sexy
02-03-2006, 02:28 PM
I don't agree with you.

ThotPolice
02-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Hey, the king volunteered himself. The u.s. didn't send him, he went along. It was great for morale but that doesn't make it planned by the gov. Most country music fans don't really look at their favorite artists as "upper class" anyway. Oh yeah, and he just happend to end up refueling planes instead of fighting on the front lines because of dumb luck.

If the bush daughters go, it will be this big phoney ra ra feminism thing as well as the "upper class cares" thing.

Reality is its poor men that do the majority fighting and dying.

Evlis never died, harry wont die, and the bush daughters wont die if they go, they will all be given special treatment and placement outside of war zones.

jetsetlemming
02-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Elvis did die. On the toilet, if I remember correctly. Anyway, he still volunteered himself, it wasn't some government idea to boost support or something. I don't blame them for protecting elvis, that'd be horrible if he got killed in ww2. Sort of like what someone said about what'd happen if prince harry got killed.

ThotPolice
02-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Elvis did die. On the toilet, if I remember correctly. Anyway, he still volunteered himself, it wasn't some government idea to boost support or something. I don't blame them for protecting elvis, that'd be horrible if he got killed in ww2. Sort of like what someone said about what'd happen if prince harry got killed. C'mon JSL, Of course I can't prove it was a preplanned pr thing but why is it these famous and rich solders never actualy fight get injured or die in war? There "special" so why go at all?

jetsetlemming
02-03-2006, 04:13 PM
To make a show to the other troops and people thinking about going themselves. It's a morale thing. That doesn't mean it's planned by the mean old government or even that it's a bad thing.

ThotPolice
02-03-2006, 04:21 PM
To make a show to the other troops and people thinking about going themselves. It's a morale thing. That doesn't mean it's planned by the mean old government or even that it's a bad thing.Thats why I see it as a bad thing. They "go to war" to boost recruitment, but they are not going to be the ones dying. They are going to be saved from danger while the poor men who want to be considered as brave as Elvis or Harry, are the ones being thrown on the front lines because there lives aren't as important.

Its twisted and unfair to call these fake fighters heros when in reality they are PR for the poor masses.

jetsetlemming
02-03-2006, 04:29 PM
there are some of them that actually do go to the front lines. I don't think they do it for their impression on other soldiers besides wanting people to think them braver than the celebrities that go on the uso shows.

beltman713
02-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Elvis was drafted in 1956 or 1957, about 12 years after the end of WWII. Where did you people learn history?

Good Doctor HST
02-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Just to clear up Elvis's military service record briefly:

What is the history of Elvis Presley's military career?
Elvis Aron Presley entered the United States Army at Memphis, Tennessee, on March 24, 1958, and then spent three days at the Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, Reception Station. He left active duty at Fort Dix, New Jersey, on March 5, 1960, and received his discharge from the Army Reserve on March 23, 1964.

During his active military career Mr. Presley served as a member of two different armor battalions. Between March 28 and September 17, 1958, he belonged to Company A, 2d Medium Tank Battalion, 37th Armor, stationed at Fort Hood, Texas. During this assignment he completed basic and advanced military training.

Mr. Presley's overseas service took place in Germany from October 1, 1958, until March 2, 1960, as a member of the 1st Medium Tank Battalion, 32d Armor. For the first five days of that period he belonged to Company D of the battalion, and thereafter to the battalion's Headquarters Company at Friedberg.

While in Germany Mr. Presley wore the shoulder sleeve insignia of the 3d Armored Division.

(Info from the U.S. Army web site)

Gold9472
02-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Just to clear up Elvis's military service record briefly:

What is the history of Elvis Presley's military career?
Elvis Aron Presley entered the United States Army at Memphis, Tennessee, on March 24, 1958, and then spent three days at the Fort Chaffee, Arkansas, Reception Station. He left active duty at Fort Dix, New Jersey, on March 5, 1960, and received his discharge from the Army Reserve on March 23, 1964.

During his active military career Mr. Presley served as a member of two different armor battalions. Between March 28 and September 17, 1958, he belonged to Company A, 2d Medium Tank Battalion, 37th Armor, stationed at Fort Hood, Texas. During this assignment he completed basic and advanced military training.

Mr. Presley's overseas service took place in Germany from October 1, 1958, until March 2, 1960, as a member of the 1st Medium Tank Battalion, 32d Armor. For the first five days of that period he belonged to Company D of the battalion, and thereafter to the battalion's Headquarters Company at Friedberg.

While in Germany Mr. Presley wore the shoulder sleeve insignia of the 3d Armored Division.

(Info from the U.S. Army web site)

Shouldn't you be in Detroit?

ThotPolice
02-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Oops I got my facts on Elvis wrong, well at least its just elvis, anyway the whole idea of Pro war PR coming from celebrities bothers me is what I am saying.

jetsetlemming
02-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Oops I got my facts on Elvis wrong, well at least its just elvis, anyway the whole idea of Pro war PR coming from celebrities bothers me is what I am saying.
Yeah, celebrities are supposed to be left only.

ThotPolice
02-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah, celebrities are supposed to be left only.

Actualy I cant stand when celebrities talk for either side, I think the only way an artist should make political commentary or take a political stance is thru their art not their name.

Gooo Prince Harry!!! You rule the officers lounge!!!

princesskittypoo
02-06-2006, 05:35 PM
i bet this has more to do with the dad wanting to off another member of his family.... you know he managed to kill diana now he's starting on the kids.