PDA

View Full Version : The Divine Proportion

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 03:35 PM
What is Phi?

Gold9472: I read about this in the DaVinci Code, and I thought it was incredible.

http://home.comcast.net/~gold9472/vitruvianman.gif
Leonardo DaVinci's "The Vitruvian Man"

Phi ( = 1.618033988749895... ), most often pronounced fi like "fee" is simply an irrational number like pi ( p = 3.14159265358979... ), but one with many unusual mathematical properties.

Phi is the basis for the Golden Section, Ratio or Mean

The ratio, or proportion, determined by Phi (1.618...) was known to the Greeks as the "Golden Section" and to Renaissance artists as the "Divine Proportion"* It is also called the Golden Ratio and the Golden Mean.

Phi, like Pi, is a ratio defined by a geometric construction

Just as pi (p) is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, phi () is simply the ratio of the line segments that result when a line is divided in one very special and unique way.

Divide a line so that:

http://goldennumber.net/images/goldprop.gif

the ratio of the length of the entire line (A)
to the length of larger line segment (B)

is the same as

the ratio of the length of the larger line segment (B)
to the length of the smaller line segment (C).*

This happens only at the point where:

A is 1.618... times B and B is 1.618... times C.

Alternatively, C is 0.618... of B and B is 0.618... of A.

Phi with an upper case "P" is 1.6180339887..., while phi with a lower case "p" is 0.6180339887, the reciprocal of Phi and also Phi minus 1.

What makes phi even more unusual is that it can be derived in many ways and shows up in relationships throughout the universe.

Phi can be derived through:

A numerical series discovered by Leonardo Fibonacci

Mathematics

Geometry

Phi appears in:

The proportions of the human body

The proportions of many other animals

Plants

DNA

The solar system

Art and architecture

Music

Population growth

The stock market

The Bible and in theology

princesskittypoo
03-05-2005, 06:44 PM
What is Phi?

Gold9472: I read about this in the DaVinci Code, and I thought it was incredible.

Phi ( = 1.618033988749895... ), most often pronounced fi like "fee" is simply an irrational number like pi ( p = 3.14159265358979... ), but one with many unusual mathematical properties.

The ratio, or proportion, determined by Phi (1.618...) was known to the Greeks as the "Golden Section" and to Renaissance artists as the "Divine Proportion"* It is also called the Golden Ratio and the Golden Mean.

Just as pi (p) is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, phi () is simply the ratio of the line segments that result when a line is divided in one very special and unique way.

Divide a line so that:

is the same as

Phi with an upper case "P" is 1.6180339887..., while phi with a lower case "p" is 0.6180339887, the reciprocal of Phi and also Phi minus 1.

What makes phi even more unusual is that it can be derived in many ways and shows up in relationships throughout the universe.

Mathematics

Geometry

Phi appears in:

Plants

DNA

The solar system

Art and architecture

Music

Population growth

The stock market

The Bible and in theology

huh??? :sleeping:

somebigguy
03-05-2005, 08:47 PM
huh??? :sleeping:
Hahaha!!! Don't worry, Gold's posts have that affect on people. Just ignore him, maybe he'll go away.

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Hahaha!!! Don't worry, Gold's posts have that affect on people. Just ignore him, maybe he'll go away.

You need to understand what this is in order to appreciate it...

Did you ever notice that the width of your arms stretched out is exactly the same as your height? That has something to do with this...

somebigguy
03-05-2005, 09:18 PM

Did you ever notice that the width of your arms stretched out is exactly the same as your height? That has something to do with this...
I'm just buggin' ya Gold!! But seriously, STFU.

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm just buggin' ya Gold!! But seriously, STFU.

Did you play Mouse Race yet?

somebigguy
03-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Did you play Mouse Race yet?
No, but I did take your Donky Kong score away from you already. Where's all the other boards?

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 09:34 PM
No, but I did take your Donky Kong score away from you already. Where's all the other boards?

S373N went out for a bit... don't worry... more games on the way.

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 09:34 PM
I spent more money for you assholes. :D

Giggles
03-08-2005, 09:18 PM
What is Phi?

Divide a line so that:

is the same as

Mathematics

Geometry

Phi appears in:

Plants

DNA

The solar system

Art and architecture

Music

Population growth

The stock market

The Bible and in theologyDon't talk about math, I hate math (gives a pathetic look).

Giggles
03-08-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm just buggin' ya Gold!! But seriously, STFU.Tisk tisk be nice.

Giggles
03-08-2005, 09:20 PM
I spent more money for you assholes. :DI appreciate it very much hon. (hug)

jetsetlemming
10-26-2005, 08:19 PM

you kinda got that part of the book mixed up (I read it last week). The ratio between your full hieght and the distance from your toes to your navel is Phi, the ratio between the distance from your fingertips to your shoulder and the distance from your elbow to your shoulder is Phi... it applies to most of your body's porportions.

PhilosophyGenius
10-26-2005, 10:54 PM
What is that book and why is it so poplular?

jetsetlemming
10-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Its a book about the holy grail. It says that the holy grail is really May Magdelene's corpse, and gross people worship her because she fucked Jesus. Its not too badly written.

PhilosophyGenius
10-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Is that what the author thinks happened, or just a fun story he made up?

And there is gonna be a movie about this book, directed by Ron Howard and staring Tom Hanks if you didnt know.

jetsetlemming
10-28-2005, 04:44 PM
It's stuff that real life people believe, I don't know if the author does or not.