PDA

View Full Version : US Demands Full Syrian Withdrawal

Gold9472
03-04-2005, 08:07 PM
US demands full Syrian withdrawal
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4319613.stm

US President George W Bush has demanded Syria's complete withdrawal of troops from neighbouring Lebanon by May.

"When we say withdraw we mean complete withdrawal - no half-hearted measures," he said, amid growing world pressure.

Syria's President Bashar al-Assad is due to announce on Saturday that some troops will be withdrawn, but some will be relocated, according to reports.

Syria has come under intense pressure to withdraw since the killing of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

Lebanese opposition groups have blamed Syria for the 14 February bomb attack - a charge Damascus has strongly denied.

Partial?

In an interview with the New York Post, Mr Bush said the withdrawal must happen before Lebanese elections in May.

He said: "The subject that is most on my mind right now is getting Syria out of Lebanon, and I don't mean just the troops out of Lebanon, I mean all of them out of Lebanon, particularly the secret service out of Lebanon - the intelligence services.

"This is non-negotiable. It is time to get out... I think we've got a good chance to achieve that objective and to make sure that the May elections [in Lebanon] are fair. I don't think you can have fair elections with Syrian troops there."

Asked if there was a threat of military action if Syria did not comply, Mr Bush said: "My last choice is military."

France, a traditional ally and former colonial ruler of Syria, has also toughened its stance.

President Jacques Chirac called on Friday for the "full, entire and immediate" implementation of a UN resolution seeking Syrian withdrawal from Lebanon, AFP says.

Mr Assad is due to address Syria's parliament on Saturday.

He is expected to say some troops will pull back to eastern Lebanon, news agencies quote unnamed Lebanese officials as saying.

Increasingly isolated

If so, he will stop short of the complete withdrawal of some 15,000 Syrian troops and thousands of Syrian intelligence personnel demanded by Mr Bush and other world leaders as well as the Lebanese opposition.

But it may help to ease pressure if it is seen as a clear step towards a full withdrawal, says the BBC's Barbara Plett in Beirut.

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw earlier warned Syria it risked being "treated as a pariah" if it ignored calls for withdrawal.

Mr Straw said members of the Security Council, of which the UK is one, had discussed deploying more UN peacekeepers to Lebanon in the event of a Syrian pullout.

Our correspondent says Syria is looking increasingly isolated as pressure mounts not only from the US and UK, but also from traditional allies like Russia, Saudi Arabia and France.

UN Security Council members have been considering measures against Syria since issuing a resolution in September 2004 calling for all foreign forces to leave Lebanon.

A 1989 agreement that ended the Lebanese civil war calls for a phased withdrawal of Syrian troops, beginning with redeployment to the eastern Bekaa Valley.

Ophie
03-05-2005, 11:48 AM
US demands full Syrian withdrawal
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4319613.stm

US President George W Bush has demanded Syria's complete withdrawal of troops from neighbouring Lebanon by May.

"When we say withdraw we mean complete withdrawal - no half-hearted measures," he said, amid growing world pressure.

Syria's President Bashar al-Assad is due to announce on Saturday that some troops will be withdrawn, but some will be relocated, according to reports.

Syria has come under intense pressure to withdraw since the killing of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

Lebanese opposition groups have blamed Syria for the 14 February bomb attack - a charge Damascus has strongly denied.

Partial?

In an interview with the New York Post, Mr Bush said the withdrawal must happen before Lebanese elections in May.

He said: "The subject that is most on my mind right now is getting Syria out of Lebanon, and I don't mean just the troops out of Lebanon, I mean all of them out of Lebanon, particularly the secret service out of Lebanon - the intelligence services.

"This is non-negotiable. It is time to get out... I think we've got a good chance to achieve that objective and to make sure that the May elections [in Lebanon] are fair. I don't think you can have fair elections with Syrian troops there."

Asked if there was a threat of military action if Syria did not comply, Mr Bush said: "My last choice is military."

France, a traditional ally and former colonial ruler of Syria, has also toughened its stance.

President Jacques Chirac called on Friday for the "full, entire and immediate" implementation of a UN resolution seeking Syrian withdrawal from Lebanon, AFP says.

Mr Assad is due to address Syria's parliament on Saturday.

He is expected to say some troops will pull back to eastern Lebanon, news agencies quote unnamed Lebanese officials as saying.

Increasingly isolated

If so, he will stop short of the complete withdrawal of some 15,000 Syrian troops and thousands of Syrian intelligence personnel demanded by Mr Bush and other world leaders as well as the Lebanese opposition.

But it may help to ease pressure if it is seen as a clear step towards a full withdrawal, says the BBC's Barbara Plett in Beirut.

UK Foreign Secretary Jack Straw earlier warned Syria it risked being "treated as a pariah" if it ignored calls for withdrawal.

Mr Straw said members of the Security Council, of which the UK is one, had discussed deploying more UN peacekeepers to Lebanon in the event of a Syrian pullout.

Our correspondent says Syria is looking increasingly isolated as pressure mounts not only from the US and UK, but also from traditional allies like Russia, Saudi Arabia and France.

UN Security Council members have been considering measures against Syria since issuing a resolution in September 2004 calling for all foreign forces to leave Lebanon.

A 1989 agreement that ended the Lebanese civil war calls for a phased withdrawal of Syrian troops, beginning with redeployment to the eastern Bekaa Valley.
Just a question, kinda off topic. If the world got together and said "We demand the US get out of Iraq right now" would they be expected to do it?

somebigguy
03-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Just a question, kinda off topic. If the world got together and said "We demand the US get out of Iraq right now" would they be expected to do it?
Come on now, it's the war on terrorism. Either you're with them or your against them. You have no other options, and Bush can do no wrong.

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 12:17 PM

Using logic means nothing to the NWO, and it's supporters.

Ophie
03-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Come on now, it's the war on terrorism. Either you're with them or your against them. You have no other options, and Bush can do no wrong.
Oops, forgot about that. :rolleyes:

Ophie
03-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Using logic means nothing to the NWO, and it's supporters.
Logic? What's that? :smellfing

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Logic? What's that? :smellfing

Logic is when you make complete sense.

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Here's what I know...

In the past, George W. Bush made similar "time table" threats to Saddam Hussein.

What happened when Saddam didn't comply?

Ophie
03-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Here's what I know...

In the past, George W. Bush made similar "time table" threats to Saddam Hussein.

What happened when Saddam didn't comply?
I know. That's what scares me.

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 12:43 PM
I know. That's what scares me.

This administration has done NOTHING to "change their ways"...

The defiinition of insanity is repeating the same mistakes, and expecting different results.

Ophie
03-05-2005, 12:47 PM
This administration has done NOTHING to "change their ways"...

The defiinition of insanity is repeating the same mistakes, and expecting different results.
You got it. Scares the shit out of me. They're out of control.

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 12:50 PM
You got it. Scares the shit out of me. They're out of control.

There are plenty of individuals who do as I described. However, when one of those individuals could destroy the world 1000x over, you have to be a tad concerned.

Ophie
03-05-2005, 12:53 PM
There are plenty of individuals who do as I described. However, when one of those individuals could destroy the world 1000x over, you have to be a tad concerned.
Well, it's almost human nature for some to not learn from past mistakes. Because then you'd have to admit you were wrong in the first place. Something this administration (and many other people on this earth) are incapable of.

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Well, it's almost human nature for some to not learn from past mistakes. Because then you'd have to admit you were wrong in the first place. Something this administration (and many other people on this earth) are incapable of.

All of us, I'm sure, are guilty of it at one time or another...

However, what I described is generally used in describing "addicts"...

Dr. Michael Parenti stated that the NWO consists of individuals who are addicted to money.

"They have more money than they know what to do with, and all they want is more... Dick Cheney made $260 Million last year, and this year he wants to make $360 Million..."

Ophie
03-05-2005, 12:59 PM
All of us, I'm sure, are guilty of it at one time or another...

However, what I described is generally used in describing "addicts"...

Dr. Michael Parenti stated that the NWO consists of individuals who are addicted to money.

"They have more money than they know what to do with, and all they want is more... Dick Cheney made $260 Million last year, and this year he wants to make $360 Million..."
Sounds about right.

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Sounds about right.

Did you read the Christian Mafia story? You should read it sometime...

Essentially, they've incorporated Jesus as their corporate logo.

Ophie
03-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Did you read the Christian Mafia story? You should read it sometime...

Essentially, they've incorporated Jesus as their corporate logo.
Ohhh, splendid! :confused:

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Ohhh, splendid! :confused:

Go read it... it's more than interesting... it's also scary...

http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458