PDA

View Full Version : I Have A Prediction

Gold9472
01-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Alito is confirmed without a hitch.

Gold9472
01-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Alito ends testimony, appears headed to approval

http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=10835165&src=rss/politicsNews

Thu Jan 12, 2006 01:17 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito completed his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday after frustrated Democrats took a final crack at getting more definitive answers from the 55-year-old conservative.

President George W. Bush's nominee appeared headed toward confirmation later this month by the full Republican-led Senate, but more than half the Democrats were expected to oppose him.

Following three days of questioning of Alito, the Senate Judiciary Committee was to hear from outside witnesses, including some of Alito's colleagues on the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

jetsetlemming
01-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Of course they're frustrated, they don't have anything on Alito. He's clean.

Gold9472
01-12-2006, 09:10 PM
It is not his credentials I'm concered about. The Supreme Court is supposed to be a non-partisan group of people. People who interpret the law of the land in a way that best serves the people. If the Supreme Court is more right-wing partisan than left-wing partisan, or vice versa, it destroys that balance of power, and gives the President carte blanche. Moreso than he's already had. We were not meant to be ruled by kings.

jetsetlemming
01-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Unless you somehow can find someone in America who both a) wants to be a judge (which means they're generally first a lawyer), and b) is completely imparial, you're just going to have to make due with what you've got appointed. Alito is remarkably reasonable compared to what you might expect Bush to appoint, and he has a lot of leeway in his appointies with the state of affairs in congress.

jetsetlemming
01-12-2006, 09:20 PM
There have been plenty of rediculus judges in the past that managed not to fuck up the country too much. Sandra Day O'Connor thought rape was a property crime, for christ's sake.

Gold9472
01-12-2006, 09:39 PM
There have been plenty of rediculus judges in the past that managed not to fuck up the country too much. Sandra Day O'Connor thought rape was a property crime, for christ's sake.

Do you have a source for that? Regarding the property crime statement. I looked, and I can't find one.

I found this article... http://www.zetetics.com/mac/articles/brzonkala.html

It quotes the 14th Amendment...

"nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

jetsetlemming
01-13-2006, 02:22 PM
I'll have to find it again. In her defence, she thought it was a crime to the woman's property, not her husband or father or anything. Like thats a defence. Anywho, what person that has a chance of Bush nominating them would you prefer as a judge, Gold?

911=inside job
01-13-2006, 03:08 PM
no, shut up and find the link!!!! you lying shit!!!!

jetsetlemming
01-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Go fuck yourself. I'll do it when I have time, it wasn't online.

Partridge
01-13-2006, 03:49 PM
What is it between you two?

jetsetlemming
01-13-2006, 04:04 PM
He's intolerant of conservatives. I'm conservative. Seriously, I much prefer calm discussions to asshole-esque arguements.

princesskittypoo
01-13-2006, 10:22 PM
no, shut up and find the link!!!! you lying shit!!!!
i read this wrong.... i thought it said you lying slut... a completely different meaning! ha.

rachel
01-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Is anyone upset that Bush didn't nominate a woman? I mean, not that you should nominate a woman just because she's a woman, but I think there should be a woman on the court.

Also, does anyone think that Bush nominated Harriet Myers (who obviously sucked) just so he could say he tried to nominate a woman?

I thought Alito did pretty well by the way. I would have sooooo yelled at some Congressmen and left. Guess that's why I'm not on the Supreme Court. :)