PDA

View Full Version : Man Convicted of Throwing Grenade at President Bush Is Sentenced to Life

Partridge
01-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Man Convicted of Throwing Grenade at President Bush and Georgian Leader Is Sentenced to Life
AP (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GEORGIA_BUSH_TRIAL?SITE=KXLAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

A court Wednesday convicted a man of trying to assassinate President Bush and the leader of Georgia by throwing a grenade at them during a rally in May 2005, and he was sentenced to life in prison. The court also convicted Vladimir Arutyunian of killing a policeman in the course of an operation to arrest him several weeks after the incident.

The grenade that Arutyunian threw during the huge rally attended by Bush and President Mikhail Saakashvili landed about 100 feet from the stage where they were standing behind a bulletproof barrier and did not explode. No one was hurt.

Arutyunian, whose trial began last month, has acknowledged that he threw a grenade in the direction of the stage and said he would try again to kill Bush if he had the chance.

Gold9472
01-11-2006, 07:54 PM
I can't believe more people haven't tried it. Someone once told me, "Our side doesn't do that kind of thing". It made sense to me.