PDA

View Full Version : DeLay Won't Seek Return To Majority Leader Role

Gold9472
01-07-2006, 05:32 PM
DeLay won’t seek return to majority leader role
Move clears way for election of new House leadership amid scandal

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10704050/

Updated: 3:10 p.m. ET Jan. 7, 2006

WASHINGTON - Rep. Tom DeLay, under indictment on criminal charges in Texas, announced Saturday that he will not try to reclaim his job as majority leader of the House of Representatives.

In a letter to rank-and-file Republicans, DeLay says he has “always acted in an ethical manner.”

At the same time, “I cannot allow our adversaries to divide and distract our attention,” the Texas Republican wrote.

The Texas Republican was forced to step aside from the No. 2 leadership job in September after he was indicted in Texas on a campaign finance case.

In a separate letter to Speaker Dennis Hastert, DeLay said he intends to seek re-election to his House seat in November “while I work to clear my name of the baseless charges leveled against me.”

His about-face came amid growing pressure from fellow Republicans who were concerned about their own political futures in the wake of this week’s guilty pleas by lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

Missouri Rep. Roy Blunt, the party whip who temporarily has filled in for DeLay, was expected to run for majority leader.

Rep. John Boehner of Ohio, a former member of the leadership, is also likely to run.

Elections are likely the week of Jan. 30, when lawmakers return to the Capitol.

DeLay intends to remain in Congress, these officials said, and plans to seek a new term in November.

DeLay acted hours after a small vanguard of Republicans circulated a petition calling for leadership elections and citing DeLay’s legal problems as well as his long ties to Abramoff.

Missouri Rep. Roy Blunt, the party whip who temporarily has filled in for DeLay, was expected to run for majority leader.

Rep. John Boehner of Ohio, a former member of the leadership, is also likely to run.
Elections are likely the week of Jan. 30, when lawmakers return to the Capitol.

DeLay intends to remain in Congress, these officials said, and plans to seek a new term in November.

DeLay acted hours after a small vanguard of Republicans circulated a petition calling for leadership elections and citing DeLay’s legal problems as well as his long ties to Abramoff.

© 2006 MSNBC Interactive