PDA

View Full Version : Where's The Labor Party?

Good Doctor HST
03-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Just reading an article from Znet.org by David Bacon.... it deals with the decrease in labor relations and organizations since the 1930's and 40's.....

Here are some excerpts that I thought were important. Especially for current blue-collar workers like myself.

"When we think about auto, steel and rubber workers," Andy Stern (president of the Service Employees International Union) says, "before the 1930s and 40s they didn't have high skilled, high wage jobs. But they got a union, and a union job turned out to be a good job, where you could raise a family and enter the middle class. Wal- Mart jobs are not inherently bad jobs. Wal-Mart workers are not inherently unskilled people. They just work for a company that thinks it's more important to give the five Walton family members, who are each worth 20 billion dollars, another billion dollars a year, rather than to give every employee healthcare."

....SEIU calls for reassessing labor's relationship with the Democratic Party. "Workers don't have a party right now that speaks clearly and precisely to their economic interests," Stern asserts. "Workers are looking for leadership on the economic issues that confront them every day, and don't see in either the Democrats or the Republicans the kind they want. It is up to our union and other unions to raise the question, Where are the organizations that speak for us? Can we change the ones that are there to be more responsive to workers? If not, what do we need to do? We're not going to win elections for workers when you don't have parties that run on platforms that mean much change in their lives."

Note: America is the only developed country without an noted organized Labor Party. One was developed in 1996... but I didn't know about it till a half-hour ago. Did anyone else?

danceyogamom
03-02-2005, 04:20 PM
Just reading an article from Znet.org by David Bacon.... it deals with the decrease in labor relations and organizations since the 1930's and 40's.....

Here are some excerpts that I thought were important. Especially for current blue-collar workers like myself.

"When we think about auto, steel and rubber workers," Andy Stern (president of the Service Employees International Union) says, "before the 1930s and 40s they didn't have high skilled, high wage jobs. But they got a union, and a union job turned out to be a good job, where you could raise a family and enter the middle class. Wal- Mart jobs are not inherently bad jobs. Wal-Mart workers are not inherently unskilled people. They just work for a company that thinks it's more important to give the five Walton family members, who are each worth 20 billion dollars, another billion dollars a year, rather than to give every employee healthcare."

....SEIU calls for reassessing labor's relationship with the Democratic Party. "Workers don't have a party right now that speaks clearly and precisely to their economic interests," Stern asserts. "Workers are looking for leadership on the economic issues that confront them every day, and don't see in either the Democrats or the Republicans the kind they want. It is up to our union and other unions to raise the question, Where are the organizations that speak for us? Can we change the ones that are there to be more responsive to workers? If not, what do we need to do? We're not going to win elections for workers when you don't have parties that run on platforms that mean much change in their lives."

Note: America is the only developed country without an noted organized Labor Party. One was developed in 1996... but I didn't know about it till a half-hour ago. Did anyone else?

I think the SWP would argue this. I belive they feel they are representing the people (the workers) and their best political/economical interests. They also believe the US Government considers them worth of note.

My main critique of the SWP is that they overlook the less blue collar markets like retail - and focus on traditional "labor" jobs.

Gold9472
03-02-2005, 05:34 PM

You REALLY need to watch Dr. Michael Parenti's lecture...

princesskittypoo
03-02-2005, 05:44 PM
hey buddy... get your facts strait. walmart does offer benefits to it's employees. I work for walmart and have all the insurance they offer... mostly cause i'm clutzy and i can find myself in some strange situations sometimes...

in fact yesturday i picked up a benefits card because i'm going to the gynochologist tomorrow :P if you would like to look up some benefits that walmart carries you can check out

www.walmartbenefits.com

i get medical, dental, aflac, discount cards, long term and short term disability, profit sharing 401k, a resources for living which will help with moving, depression , family problems (why the hell am i not using it i don't know).... they also offer stock purchasing plan for any walmart employee.... and worker's compensation.

sorry to rant but we don't need a union when we're taking care of ourselves... we also have the best wages of any other retail store. where else can you make 10.44 an hour? that's what i make.

Gold9472
03-02-2005, 05:52 PM
hey buddy... get your facts strait. walmart does offer benefits to it's employees. I work for walmart and have all the insurance they offer... mostly cause i'm clutzy and i can find myself in some strange situations sometimes...

in fact yesturday i picked up a benefits card because i'm going to the gynochologist tomorrow :P if you would like to look up some benefits that walmart carries you can check out

www.walmartbenefits.com (http://www.walmartbenefits.com/)

i get medical, dental, aflac, discount cards, long term and short term disability, profit sharing 401k, a resources for living which will help with moving, depression , family problems (why the hell am i not using it i don't know).... they also offer stock purchasing plan for any walmart employee.... and worker's compensation.

sorry to rant but we don't need a union when we're taking care of ourselves... we also have the best wages of any other retail store. where else can you make 10.44 an hour? that's what i make.

I make around $32hr... :D

Gold9472
03-02-2005, 05:53 PM
And the only thing I have to show for it is this crummy Bulletin Board. :D (JUST KIDDING)

princesskittypoo
03-02-2005, 06:54 PM
yes but you work in the computer field... i don't have that option.

somebigguy
03-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Yeah, but you only work 2 hours a week.

Gold9472
03-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah, but you only work 2 hours a week.

True... True...

princesskittypoo
03-02-2005, 10:48 PM
i would love to spend just 2 hours a week working... then i could spend more time with my cat and my vibrator... no not at the same time :-P