PDA

View Full Version : Saddam Claims Americans Tortured Him

Gold9472
12-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Americans tortured me - Saddam

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4550314.stm

(Gold9472: Normally, I would say, "No Way", but well, ya know...)

12/21/2005

Saddam Hussein has been beaten and tortured by the Americans, he has alleged at his trial in Baghdad.

"I have been beaten on every place of my body, and the signs are all over my body," he told the court.

Christopher Reid of the US Embassy in Baghdad rejected the allegation, telling CNN it was "absolutely bogus".

Saddam Hussein is on trial over the killing of 148 people in the Iraqi Shia village of Dujail in 1982. He denies responsibility for the deaths.

The prosecution ridiculed his claim of torture, saying the former Iraqi leader was being held in an air-conditioned room when some of Baghdad had no power.

Saddam Hussein had spent much of the day listening quietly as two witnesses testified against him and seven associates.

They said Saddam Hussein's half-brother Barzan al-Tikriti - a former intelligence chief who is also on trial - had been present when they were tortured.

Also on Wednesday
The US military announced a soldier had been killed by a roadside bomb on Monday.

The Iraqi electoral commission said turnout was about 70% in last week's parliamentary elections.

Iraq's former leader had boycotted the proceedings the last time the court convened, calling the court "unjust".

The ousted president is expected to face further charges relating to his tenure as Iraqi leader.

The case may continue on Thursday, but is then expected to be adjourned until mid-January to allow for the results of Iraq's election and the annual Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca.

Saddam Hussein could be hanged if found guilty.

jetsetlemming
12-21-2005, 03:39 PM
"signs of it al over his body". See any bruises?

Gold9472
12-21-2005, 04:32 PM
White House rejects Saddam torture claim

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051221/pl_afp/iraqsaddamtrialus

(Gold9472: I'm not going to comment on an ongoing beating.)

19 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The White House categorically rejected Saddam Hussein's charge during his trial that Americans had beaten and tortured him, calling the accusation "preposterous."

"I think that's one of the most preposterous things I've heard from Saddam Hussein recently," spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters when asked about the ousted Iraqi dictator's allegation.

"Saddam Hussein is being treated the exact opposite of the way his regime treated those he imprisoned and tortured simply for expressing their opinions," said McClellan. "And so I reject that."

Saddam, back in court on charges of crimes against humanity, levelled the charge in an emotional outburst at the end of a day which saw three witnesses describe how they were tortured under Saddam's rule.

"I have been hit by the Americans and tortured," Saddam told the court.

"Yes, I've been beaten on every place of my body and the signs are all over my body," he added.

"We were beaten by the Americans and we were tortured, everyone of us," he said, pointing to his seven co-accused in the dock who are being tried for the murder of some 140 Shiites killed in reprisal for an assassination attempt on the former dictator in 1982 in the town of Dujail.

Saddam has been detained by US forces since his capture two years ago.