PDA

View Full Version : HIV Infection Rate Among U.S. Blacks Doubles

Gold9472
02-26-2005, 03:51 PM
HIV infection rate among U.S. blacks doubles
Cases among whites hold steady, highlighting growing racial gap

The Associated Press
Updated: 5:27 p.m. ET Feb. 25, 2005

BOSTON - The HIV infection rate has doubled among blacks in the United States over a decade while holding steady among whites — stark evidence of a widening racial gap in the epidemic, government scientists said Friday.

Other troubling statistics indicate that almost half of all infected people in the United States who should be receiving HIV drugs are not getting them.

The findings were released in Boston at the 12th Annual Retrovirus Conference, the world’s chief scientific gathering on the disease.

'A burgeoning epidemic'
“It’s incredibly disappointing,” said Terje Anderson, director of the National Association of People With AIDS. “We just have a burgeoning epidemic in the African American community that is not being dealt with effectively.”

Researchers and AIDS prevention advocates attributed the high rate among blacks to such factors as drug addiction, poverty and poor access to health care.

The HIV rates were derived from the widely used National Health and Nutrition Examinations Surveys, which analyze a representative sample of U.S. households and contain the most complete HIV data in the country. Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention compared 1988-1994 data with figures from 1999-2002.

The surveys look only at young and middle-aged adults who live in households, excluding such groups as soldiers, prisoners and homeless. Thus, health officials believe the numbers probably underestimate true HIV rates in this country.

Still, they show a striking rise in the prevalence of the AIDS virus from 1 percent to 2 percent of blacks. White rates held steady at 0.2 percent. Largely because of the increase among blacks, the overall U.S. rate rose slightly from 0.3 percent to 0.4 percent.

Smaller studies had shown rising infection rates among blacks in recent years, but this study takes a longer and more complete look at changes in the general population.

“I think it’s very concerning,” said Dr. Susan Buchbinder, who leads HIV research for the city of San Francisco. “I think what we need to look at is how we can reduce those rates and get more people into treatment.”

More focus on drug addiction needed
She recommended a stronger focus on treating drug addiction.

The lead CDC researcher, Geraldine McQuillan, said she was encouraged to see the HIV rate among younger blacks holding steady at just under 1.5 percent.

“It tells me we’re making some headway,” she said.

Other national data and published reports studied by the CDC showed that 480,000 HIV-infected people ages 15 to 49 should have been getting antiviral drugs in 2003, yet only 268,000, or 56 percent, were given such medication.

Researcher Eyasu Teshale of the CDC said the gap represents “a substantial unmet health care need.”

Treatment is widely viewed as a central component in prevention. Powerful AIDS drugs that came into wide use in the mid-1990s can knock down levels of the virus in the body, reducing the chances that the patient will infect others.

Nearly 1 million people in the United States have contracted the AIDS virus since the outbreak began in the early 1980s. About 40,000 people test positive each year, and more than 18,000 die. However, U.S. infections have remained fairly level in recent years with the use of powerful HIV drugs.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Giggles
02-28-2005, 02:30 PM

The Associated Press

BOSTON - The HIV infection rate has doubled among blacks in the United States over a decade while holding steady among whites — stark evidence of a widening racial gap in the epidemic, government scientists said Friday.

Other troubling statistics indicate that almost half of all infected people in the United States who should be receiving HIV drugs are not getting them.

The findings were released in Boston at the 12th Annual Retrovirus Conference, the world’s chief scientific gathering on the disease.

'A burgeoning epidemic'
“It’s incredibly disappointing,” said Terje Anderson, director of the National Association of People With AIDS. “We just have a burgeoning epidemic in the African American community that is not being dealt with effectively.”

Researchers and AIDS prevention advocates attributed the high rate among blacks to such factors as drug addiction, poverty and poor access to health care.

The HIV rates were derived from the widely used National Health and Nutrition Examinations Surveys, which analyze a representative sample of U.S. households and contain the most complete HIV data in the country. Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention compared 1988-1994 data with figures from 1999-2002.

The surveys look only at young and middle-aged adults who live in households, excluding such groups as soldiers, prisoners and homeless. Thus, health officials believe the numbers probably underestimate true HIV rates in this country.

Still, they show a striking rise in the prevalence of the AIDS virus from 1 percent to 2 percent of blacks. White rates held steady at 0.2 percent. Largely because of the increase among blacks, the overall U.S. rate rose slightly from 0.3 percent to 0.4 percent.

Smaller studies had shown rising infection rates among blacks in recent years, but this study takes a longer and more complete look at changes in the general population.

“I think it’s very concerning,” said Dr. Susan Buchbinder, who leads HIV research for the city of San Francisco. “I think what we need to look at is how we can reduce those rates and get more people into treatment.”

The lead CDC researcher, Geraldine McQuillan, said she was encouraged to see the HIV rate among younger blacks holding steady at just under 1.5 percent.

Other national data and published reports studied by the CDC showed that 480,000 HIV-infected people ages 15 to 49 should have been getting antiviral drugs in 2003, yet only 268,000, or 56 percent, were given such medication.

Researcher Eyasu Teshale of the CDC said the gap represents “a substantial unmet health care need.”

Treatment is widely viewed as a central component in prevention. Powerful AIDS drugs that came into wide use in the mid-1990s can knock down levels of the virus in the body, reducing the chances that the patient will infect others.

Nearly 1 million people in the United States have contracted the AIDS virus since the outbreak began in the early 1980s. About 40,000 people test positive each year, and more than 18,000 die. However, U.S. infections have remained fairly level in recent years with the use of powerful HIV drugs.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.I have to say this and no I'm not prejudice. That most African American's can't seem to control what is in their pants. Even if they could I don't think they really care about not spreading the disease by wearing condoms/protection of any kind. I think if they would be more abstient that would be even more safe. I don't know (in my mind I hear typical).

somebigguy
02-28-2005, 02:34 PM
I agree, it's pretty damn obvious how to avoid HIV.

Giggles
02-28-2005, 02:36 PM

The Associated Press

'A burgeoning epidemic'

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.I have to say this, but I'm not prejudice. I think that if the African American's would learn to care more about things such as condoms/protection/sanitation/and so on. Then they wouldn't have caused an increase. I mean these things can be prevented if you care and are wise to this. I don't know (in my mind words like "typical" show up). I mean I see more African American women go on all these day time shows about you screw me over schemes, your my childs father and so on,then I do with whites.

unconstitutionalliberty
03-04-2005, 05:57 PM
I agree, it's pretty damn obvious how to avoid HIV. I agree with both of you. Actually I have a theory that could solve all the worlds problems, but no one wants to hear it.

Gold9472
03-04-2005, 07:51 PM
I agree with both of you. Actually I have a theory that could solve all the worlds problems, but no one wants to hear it.

Which is?

Giggles
03-05-2005, 02:40 AM
I agree with both of you. Actually I have a theory that could solve all the worlds problems, but no one wants to hear it.Yes do tell (all ears).

unconstitutionalliberty
03-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Bomb 'em. Gets rid of all problems, though it is only theory. Not that death is the answer, its just the easiest fix.

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Bomb 'em. Gets rid of all problems, though it is only theory. Not that death is the answer, its just the easiest fix.

Do you think that's a viable solution?

danceyogamom
03-05-2005, 03:54 PM
maybe if it weren't so culturally taboo to discuss safe sex and how to avoid STD's and AIDS this wouldn't be such an issue.

I noticed the article's statistics didn't take into account population locations or religious beliefs. Large groups of people in this country teach abstinence as the only form of aids prevention - and where they are absolutely correct (its the only absolutely safe way not to contract anything), I do not believe the majority of their students pay heed.

Combine the overwhelming power of shaming people into not researching other methods of safe sex with the far too prevelant concept, "if you teach them about sex, they'll have it" and you end up with uneducated, unprepared and unaware people experimenting with sex on the sly.

No one even seems to know how to tackel the issue of HIV infection through drug use ... statistics on this population can't even be accurately measured ... much less finding patients, educating and treating them.

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 04:02 PM
maybe if it weren't so culturally taboo to discuss safe sex and how to avoid STD's and AIDS this wouldn't be such an issue.

I noticed the article's statistics didn't take into account population locations or religious beliefs. Large groups of people in this country teach abstinence as the only form of aids prevention - and where they are absolutely correct (its the only absolutely safe way not to contract anything), I do not believe the majority of their students pay heed.

Combine the overwhelming power of shaming people into not researching other methods of safe sex with the far too prevelant concept, "if you teach them about sex, they'll have it" and you end up with uneducated, unprepared and unaware people experimenting with sex on the sly.

No one even seems to know how to tackel the issue of HIV infection through drug use ... statistics on this population can't even be accurately measured ... much less finding patients, educating and treating them.

I'm not really qualified to comment on HIV other than to say it's something our scientists/governments should be spending BILLIONS on as well as for Cancer, Parkinson's Disease, Paralysis, and so on...

However, I have asked my qualified friend to comment on this...

His website is www.bebashi.org

unconstitutionalliberty
03-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Do you think that's a viable solution?

Hands down, it solves the problem if not but temporarily, it'll work, TRUST ME.

Gold9472
03-05-2005, 11:57 PM

Ok... not to mention the fact that there are innocent people living in those countries, let alone that according to the "offical" story, and I use that term VERY loosely, 19 hijackers committed the atrocities of 9/11, which is why we're in the middle east.

Shouldn't the organizations those 19 people came from, and anyone else involved, be our target?

Why kill innocent people?

danceyogamom
03-06-2005, 01:37 PM

trust you? Do you have experience with this kind of resolution?

unconstitutionalliberty
03-06-2005, 04:48 PM
you'll never know unless you try it, and its the best solution I can think of. A bit extreme for anyone to enjoy the outcome, but I haven't seen sufficient evidence of successful research.

unconstitutionalliberty
03-07-2005, 02:36 AM
I apologize for such a quick and FINAL decision. I suppose I am a bit of an extremist (which means those idiots from high school and college were right...). I tend to lead on with radical thinking, what I "Meant" was more on the lines of find a cure or be killed by a mutation whether your abstinent or not. Not saying it could happen, as there is no scientific backing, I'm just saying that someone could write a really believable work of fiction to rouse an uninformed majorities radical thinking...I do believe there is historical backing on the final claim.

Gold9472
03-08-2005, 12:24 AM
I have to say this and no I'm not prejudice. That most African American's can't seem to control what is in their pants. Even if they could I don't think they really care about not spreading the disease by wearing condoms/protection of any kind. I think if they would be more abstient that would be even more safe. I don't know (in my mind I hear typical).

Giggles... dear... You can't say in your first sentence, "I'm not prejudice", and then proceed to say a blanket statement like "African Americans can't seem to control what is in their pants."

I happen to be caucasean, and I can safely say that I can no better or worse control what's in my pants than any black man.

I have thrown my dick on the craps table many a day. I am LUCKY to be clean.

Remember that next time... ;)

Giggles
03-08-2005, 09:16 PM
Giggles... dear... You can't say in your first sentence, "I'm not prejudice", and then proceed to say a blanket statement like "African Americans can't seem to control what is in their pants."

I happen to be caucasean, and I can safely say that I can no better or worse control what's in my pants than any black man.

I have thrown my dick on the craps table many a day. I am LUCKY to be clean.

Remember that next time... ;)Hon I didn't want to know that kind of information too much (blushes). Well tell me why am I always seeing these African American male/females on t.v. reproducing like bunnies and trying to find all their kids fathers. I swear I see more of them on t.v. then I do whites. I also wrote a document a while back that specifically said that the number of _____ is on the rise. Ok never mind. I have my view you have your view. I respect your view, but hon please be more safe about your tube (blush).

Gold9472
03-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Hon I didn't want to know that kind of information too much (blushes). Well tell me why am I always seeing these African American male/females on t.v. reproducing like bunnies and trying to find all their kids fathers. I swear I see more of them on t.v. then I do whites. I also wrote a document a while back that specifically said that the number of _____ is on the rise. Ok never mind. I have my view you have your view. I respect your view, but hon please be more safe about your tube (blush).

There are reasons for those numbers. Regardless of what people say about slavery being abolished, and that everyone is now considered "equal", there is still A LOT of racism left in this country.

It is harder for a black person to get a job than it is a white person.

I work in a small company, and in the time I've been there, we've had one black person. Since his departure, we have since hired several more people.

None have been _____.

They are forced to live in more impoverished societies than we are. In those impoverished societies, they are exposed to more of what you referred to than we are.

Gold9472
03-08-2005, 09:29 PM
And thank you for your concern about my tube. My massive... thick, hairy tube.

WhiteGuySaysThis
03-08-2005, 09:38 PM
I think we should focus more on how some black and white kids don't have 24 inch rims, TV's, and bumpin' systems in thier cars. I almost break into tears when I see a teenager walking down the road without a gold necklace the size of a dog chain around thier neck. I mean, what is the world coming to when our youth can't afford 3 cell phones? :)

Gold9472
03-08-2005, 09:41 PM
I think we should focus more on how some black and white kids don't have 24 inch rims, TV's, and bumpin' systems in thier cars. I almost break into tears when I see a teenager walking down the road without a gold necklace the size of a dog chain around thier neck. I mean, what is the world coming to when our youth can't afford 3 cell phones? :)

:D :urinate:

Giggles
03-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Bomb 'em. Gets rid of all problems, though it is only theory. Not that death is the answer, its just the easiest fix.Hon a little to drastic, but your right it is a solution to stop the spread.

Giggles
03-08-2005, 09:44 PM

No one even seems to know how to tackel the issue of HIV infection through drug use ... statistics on this population can't even be accurately measured ... much less finding patients, educating and treating them.I agree with most in this post.

Giggles
03-08-2005, 09:46 PM
you'll never know unless you try it, and its the best solution I can think of. A bit extreme for anyone to enjoy the outcome, but I haven't seen sufficient evidence of successful research.I agree about not seeing sufficient evidence of successful research.

Giggles
03-08-2005, 09:48 PM
And thank you for your concern about my tube. My massive... thick, hairy tube.LMAO

Giggles
03-08-2005, 09:49 PM
I think we should focus more on how some black and white kids don't have 24 inch rims, TV's, and bumpin' systems in thier cars. I almost break into tears when I see a teenager walking down the road without a gold necklace the size of a dog chain around thier neck. I mean, what is the world coming to when our youth can't afford 3 cell phones? :)Here we go again (rolls eyes and goes to do some work).

WhiteGuySaysThis
03-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Here we go again (rolls eyes and goes to do some work).....and what is that supposed to mean?

danceyogamom
03-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Hon I didn't want to know that kind of information too much (blushes). Well tell me why am I always seeing these African American male/females on t.v. reproducing like bunnies and trying to find all their kids fathers. I swear I see more of them on t.v. then I do whites. I also wrote a document a while back that specifically said that the number of _____ is on the rise. Ok never mind. I have my view you have your view. I respect your view, but hon please be more safe about your tube (blush).

did you ever see the movie Kids? it was a documentary of sorts about a upper middle class area ... they were just as bad as what you describe here.

some of the biggest drug problems in the greater Chicago area are in the suburbs ... the very well to do suburbs.

these people can afford to hide the problems and send their kids to get help.

winketb
03-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Contrary to popular opinion, AIDS won't be defeated through one strategy. The impact of AIDS on the world is a systemic problem AIDS exploits the inequalities and disparities in income distribution, health care, employemnt etc. It is not a coincidence that AIDS progresses faster and with more devastating consequences in poorer areas with limited health/economic safety net. As I watch what is happening in this country: the erosion of the spirit of compassion for "the least of us" eg... those less fortunate; the retrenchment of the social safety net that helps to provide the semblance of a minimum standard of living such as Medical Assistance; housing, substance abuse treatment, student loans, unfunded mandates to schools (ie... No Child Left Behind), Social Security (a quick word about Social Security: if Bush promises to leave people who are currently 55 years of age harmless, what about the hundreds of thousands of people who are permanently disabled-including people living with AIDS-as well as the poor widows and children receiving survivers benefits?) etc..., I predict that HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, will continue to spread in this country. AIDS is the greatest crisis: be it natural disaster, plague, war, whatever-THE GREATEST CRISIS to face mankind. There are 14,000 new HIV infections every day, while (only) 8,200 daily deaths. It is estimated that, by the year 2010, that there will be approximately 100 million people living with HIV/AIDS. And leading the way, other than Africa: China, India, Russia and of course, the US. When are we going to wake up and do something?

The Associated Press

'A burgeoning epidemic'

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

danceyogamom
03-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Contrary to popular opinion, AIDS won't be defeated through one strategy. The impact of AIDS on the world is a systemic problem AIDS exploits the inequalities and disparities in income distribution, health care, employemnt etc. It is not a coincidence that AIDS progresses faster and with more devastating consequences in poorer areas with limited health/economic safety net. As I watch what is happening in this country: the erosion of the spirit of compassion for "the least of us" eg... those less fortunate; the retrenchment of the social safety net that helps to provide the semblance of a minimum standard of living such as Medical Assistance; housing, substance abuse treatment, student loans, unfunded mandates to schools (ie... No Child Left Behind), Social Security (a quick word about Social Security: if Bush promises to leave people who are currently 55 years of age harmless, what about the hundreds of thousands of people who are permanently disabled-including people living with AIDS-as well as the poor widows and children receiving survivers benefits?) etc..., I predict that HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, will continue to spread in this country. AIDS is the greatest crisis: be it natural disaster, plague, war, whatever-THE GREATEST CRISIS to face mankind. There are 14,000 new HIV infections every day, while (only) 8,200 daily deaths. It is estimated that, by the year 2010, that there will be approximately 100 million people living with HIV/AIDS. And leading the way, other than Africa: China, India, Russia and of course, the US. When are we going to wake up and do something?

I agree that this is a huge problem, and it encompasses some over arching social issues in the US. If one stragety won't be enough, what do you propose we do to combat this?

Gold9472
03-09-2005, 11:13 PM

One people, one voice. That's how it gets done.

Se7en
03-09-2005, 11:14 PM

Hey there. Gold showed me your website, and I have to say thank you for trying to help and educate people the plight of AIDs. I am an AIDs activist in the Boston area, and it is always refreshing to see similar people who want to help out. I had some people close to me pass away from AIDs, and decided long ago, that I would do everything I could to somehow help out. We have numerous AIDs pledge walks, rallies, and get togethers.

One issue that keeps coming up to me, is the issue of AIDs in Africa. People often ask why I don't try to help out those individuals as well. Have you encountered this? I tell them that I am concerned about helping my fellow Americans first, and then helping out Internationally when we can. This usually causes a friendly debate, but I was wondering if you have similar issues?

Thank you for all you do, and please keep up the good work.

danceyogamom
03-09-2005, 11:21 PM
One people, one voice. That's how it gets done.

I agree with this ... and I believe if we could achieve this, much in our society would be resolved.

but how do we attain one people one voice? It seems to me the division is far too great -

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hopeless or a doubter. I think that much is clear by what I post in the Zen forum. I am filled with hope -

but I am lost on how to resolve this

Gold9472
03-09-2005, 11:28 PM
I agree with this ... and I believe if we could achieve this, much in our society would be resolved.

but how do we attain one people one voice? It seems to me the division is far too great -

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hopeless or a doubter. I think that much is clear by what I post in the Zen forum. I am filled with hope -

but I am lost on how to resolve this

I see things progressing. The "Patriotic Binge" has worn off, and they're starting to realize that saying, "U.S.A., U.S.A.", and waving a flag doesn't pay the bills.

It's a VERY slow, painful task, but I do think it's happening.

Look how many political sites there are on the internet. Look at me... I was a fucking DRONE for 30 years. Now I'm political.

danceyogamom
03-09-2005, 11:53 PM
I see things progressing. The "Patriotic Binge" has worn off, and they're starting to realize that saying, "U.S.A., U.S.A.", and waving a flag doesn't pay the bills.

It's a VERY slow, painful task, but I do think it's happening.

Look how many political sites there are on the internet. Look at me... I was a fucking DRONE for 30 years. Now I'm political.

what exactly is a Drone?

Do you think though, that after all the flag waving is over, we'll be able to end up on the same side and work together? That is the part that worries me ...

so many people, concerned with so many different aspects of life ... its extremely difficult to find two christian groups with the same agenda. How are we going to get the christians, the right to lifers, the big businessers, the soccer moms (etc etc) all on the same page?

Gold9472
03-10-2005, 12:00 AM
what exactly is a Drone?

Do you think though, that after all the flag waving is over, we'll be able to end up on the same side and work together? That is the part that worries me ...

so many people, concerned with so many different aspects of life ... its extremely difficult to find two christian groups with the same agenda. How are we going to get the christians, the right to lifers, the big businessers, the soccer moms (etc etc) all on the same page?

It might get bloody.

danceyogamom
03-10-2005, 12:10 AM
It might get bloody.

yeah ...

but maybe it would stop the bombing of abortion clinics, the beating of 12 year old girls over boyfriends and the shootings of soccer coaches for a while.

unconstitutionalliberty
03-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Hon a little to drastic, but your right it is a solution to stop the spread.

at least someone understands my madness.

Gold9472
03-10-2005, 01:48 PM
at least someone understands my madness.

I understand your "solution", but it's not viable. Killing innocents to ensure our way of life just doesn't sit well with me.

danceyogamom
03-13-2005, 10:23 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/03/13/china.aids.reut/index.html

BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- China, criticized for a slow initial response to its AIDS/HIV crisis, has begun its first human trials of a new AIDS vaccine, Xinhua news agency said.

A 20-year-old man became the first volunteer to receive the AIDS vaccine on Saturday, followed by seven others, four of them women, Xinhua said.

Some 49 volunteers aged between 18 and 50 would receive the tests in three phases, the first lasting 14 months.

Experts have faulted China for being slow to recognize a growing AIDS problem, exacerbated by the cover-up of the blood-selling schemes in the central province of Henan that infected scores of people in the mid-1990s.

The government estimates that China, with a 1.3 billion population, has 840,000 people with HIV. Activists and experts say a more accurate figure would be between 1 million and 1.5 million.

The United Nations has said that the number of HIV/AIDS victims in China could rise to 10 million by 2010 unless serious steps are taken to fight the disease.

On World AIDS Day in 2003, Premier Wen Jiabao shook hands with AIDS patients at a Beijing hospital in a symbolic display of commitment to fighting the disease.

But efforts to step up AIDS prevention remain shackled by politics and conservative attitudes toward sex.

The AIDS virus has infected more than 43 million people worldwide and killed 25 million. The incurable virus spreads through sexual contact, blood products and mothers' milk but can be controlled to some degree with cocktails of drugs called highly active antiretroviral therapy.

The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative has said dozens of potential vaccines are being tested and more than 70 human clinical trials have taken place although none has yet promised to conquer the virus.

danceyogamom
03-19-2005, 12:09 AM
... But I thought it was relevant anyway

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/03/18/virginitystudy.stds.ap/index.html

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (AP) -- Teens who pledge to remain virgins until marriage are more likely to take chances with other kinds of sex that increase the risk of sexually transmitted diseases, a study of 12,000 adolescents suggests.
The report by Yale and Columbia University researchers could help explain their earlier findings that teens who pledged abstinence are just as likely to have STDs as their peers.

The latest study, published in the April issue of the Journal of Adolescent Health, found that teens pledging virginity until marriage are more likely to have oral and anal sex than other teens who have not had intercourse. That behavior, however, "puts you at risk," said Hannah Brueckner, assistant professor of sociology at Yale and one of the study's authors.

Among virgins, boys who have pledged abstinence were four times more likely to have had anal sex than teens who have remained abstinent but not as part of a pledge, according to the study. Overall, pledgers were six times more likely to have oral sex.

The pledging group was also less likely to use condoms during their first sexual experience or get tested for STDs, the researchers found.

Data for the study was taken from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health. An in-school questionnaire was given to a nationally representative sample of students in grades 7-12 and followed up with a series of in-home interviews roughly one, two, and six years later. It was funded in part by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Leslee Unruh, president of the National Abstinence Clearinghouse in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, called the study "bogus," disputing that those involved had pledged true "abstinence."

"Kids who pledge abstinence are taught that any word that has 'sex' in it is considered a sexual activity," Unruh said. "Therefore oral sex is sex, and they are staying away."

Millions of teens have signed written pledges or verbally promised to abstain from sex, part of a church-led effort to discourage premarital sex and the spread of disease. President Bush has boosted funding for abstinence-only education in schools.

Critics say that education needs to be coupled with safe-sex education to be effective.

"If adolescents only had sex in monogamous, married relationships, by definition there would be no STDs," Brueckner said, echoing President Bush's remarks in last year's State of the Union address. "But the majority of adolescents don't live like that. They do have sex."

Last year, the same research team found that 88 percent of teens who pledge abstinence end up having sex before marriage, compared with 99 percent of teens who do not make a pledge.