PDA

View Full Version : Bush Says He Thinks DeLay Is Innocent

Gold9472
12-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Bush says he thinks DeLay is innocent
President praisesTexan's effectiveness as House GOP leader

http://www.wcnc.com/sharedcontent/registration/register.jsp?fw=http://www.wcnc.com/sharedcontent/washington/politics_gillman/121505ccdrPolGillman.111c47ff.html

(Gold9472: It's a good thing this administration doesn't "comment on ongoing investigations".)

By Todd J. Gillman / The Dallas Morning News
12:53 PM EST on Thursday, December 15, 2005

WASHINGTON, D.C. — President Bush continues to stand by Tom DeLay, proclaiming Wednesday that he believes the former House majority leader is innocent of felony charges involving violations of Texas campaign law.

"Yes, I do," Mr. Bush told Fox News, when asked whether he still supports the Sugar Land Republican. Mr. Bush said he hopes Mr. DeLay will be cleared of charges returned by a Travis County grand jury, allowing him to return to the No. 2 job in the House, but, "I don't know whether I can expect" that Mr. DeLay will resume his job as majority leader.

By all accounts, Mr. Bush and Mr. DeLay have never been especially close, though they have effectively worked together for years. And the president has stood by Mr. DeLay, even as both men have seen their popularity with voters plunge to new lows.

In April, Mr. Bush gave Mr. DeLay a ride aboard Air Force One, providing a photo opportunity at a time when ethics allegations involving Mr. DeLay's overseas travels and ties with lobbyists were hitting a peak.

Last week, Vice President Dick Cheney was dispatched to Houston to help Mr. DeLay raise money for his re-election.

On Wednesday, Mr. Bush praised Mr. DeLay's effectiveness as House majority leader.

"When he's over there, we get our votes through the House," Mr. Bush said, citing a "remarkable string of legislative victories" on GOP priorities — including sometimes tight votes on tax cuts, an energy plan, restrictions on lawsuits and Medicare drug coverage.

"There's a string of successes, and I give Tom a lot of credit for that," Mr. Bush said.

Embattled top advisers also got fresh expressions of confidence during the Fox interview.

Mr. Bush said Mr. Cheney remains a "very close adviser. ... Our relationship hasn't changed hardly at all."

And the president and Karl Rove are "still as close as we've ever been," despite rumors Mr. Rove may be implicated in an investigation into the exposure of a CIA operative whose husband had publicly questioned prewar intelligence.

PhilosophyGenius
12-16-2005, 12:27 AM
(Gold9472: It's a good thing this administration doesn't "comment on ongoing investigations".)

Nice you caught that.

Alycra
12-16-2005, 12:33 AM
I think if you are going to comment on why you think he is innocent ... please share with the rest of us, because we think he is guilty as sin.