PDA

View Full Version : 94% Of America Believes In God

Gold9472
12-13-2005, 04:50 PM
Gallup: Poll Finds Americans' Belief in God Remains Strong

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001659292

(Gold9472: Prove it exists.)

By E&P Staff
Published: December 13, 2005 12:15 PM ET

NEW YORK A new Gallup survey released today finds that four decades after the "God Is Dead" controversy was first noted, Americans retain a strong belief in a higher power. Some 94% think God exists.

Only 5% feel God "does not exist" -- and even most of them "are not sure" of that. Exactly 1% are certain there is no God.

But how strongly do the believers believe? Nearly 8 in 10, in fact, say they are "convinced" God exists, although Gallup does not ask them why that is.

Conservatives are more likely to be convinced than liberals (87% vs. 61%), women a little more likely than men (82% vs. 73%), and residents of the South more than those in the East (88% vs. 70%).

Surprisingly, some 61% of those who seldom or never attend church are nevertheless convinced that God exists.

The poll sampled 1,002 national adults, Nov. 17-20.

jetsetlemming
12-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Define "proof". do you want smoking-gun, red-handed proof, or ephemerical, quantum science proof? There's plenty of that.

princesskittypoo
12-13-2005, 09:17 PM
the fact that you exist proves something put you here.

Gold9472
12-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Ok... before you give me proof... define what "God" is.

princesskittypoo
12-13-2005, 09:45 PM
the entity that gives life and emotion to a normally empty shell of a you.

Gold9472
12-13-2005, 09:47 PM
the entity that gives life and emotion to a normally empty shell of a you.

jetsetlemming... what is your definition of "God"?

jetsetlemming
12-13-2005, 09:47 PM
god: basically anything human-esque, but more powerful and normally immortal. God: the diety of the Christianity, Judiasm, and Islam (though they translate it into "Allah"). Impossible for the human mind to fully comprehend, a being immortal, omni-scentient, but not omnipotent (he/it's the most powerful, not all powerful. he had to take a break after creation, remember). The creator of the universe and everything in it.

Gold9472
12-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Ok...

Princesskittypoo's definition of "God": "the entity that gives life and emotion to a normally empty shell of a you."

Jetsetlemming's definition of "God": "god: basically anything human-esque, but more powerful and normally immortal. God: the diety of the Christianity, Judiasm, and Islam (though they translate it into "Allah"). Impossible for the human mind to fully comprehend, a being immortal, omni-scentient, but not omnipotent (he/it's the most powerful, not all powerful. he had to take a break after creation, remember). The creator of the universe and everything in it."

Between just the TWO of you, you have two completely different definitions of something you want me to believe in. You can't even get a consensus as to WHAT "God" is, and you want me to believe in it? PUHLEESE.

jetsetlemming
12-13-2005, 09:53 PM
There is no obvious proof- proof denies faith, as they say. There is evidence, however. The odds are actually in God's favor as well. Which is less likely: God, or the quadrillion in one shot of intelligent life developing in the amount of time since the earth was created (no, I'm not one of those that believe the earth's only a few thousand years old. Evolution, esp. the beginning, assumed stages, single cell life appearing, developing into multi-cell creatures, growing in size and complexety, is a long shot to fit into a few hundred million years since the earth became semi-inhabitable). It's like a natural rock formation not only forming in the shape of a computer, but being a fully funcioning computer with an operating system and everything. Sure, it's possible )barely) for nature to form something resembling a computer by accident, but that programming has to come from somewhere. Evolution is based on mutation in DNA, but where did DNA come from? You can't evolve the tools of evolution.

jetsetlemming
12-13-2005, 09:54 PM
pkp's definition sounds more like a "soul" than "god" to me. Anyway, everyone has their own belief, Gold. You just have to think about it with what you know and what seems likely and what you could imagine that fits what you know.

Gold9472
12-13-2005, 09:58 PM
If "everyone has their own belief" as to what "God" is, do you think that could be because we HAVE NO EVIDENCE of its' existence? Don't you think we should believe in something we at least KNOW exists?

somebigguy
12-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Thats a lot of stupid people.

princesskittypoo
12-14-2005, 12:54 AM
gold your being mean to us because we believe in god. just because everyone has their own definition of god doesn't mean a god doesn't exist. i realize you don't beleive god doesn't exist and i'm ok with that. i'm not pressuring you to believe anything. i just like that there's something out there that's uncontrollable and unpredictible something that can't be bottled or measured.

princesskittypoo
12-14-2005, 12:55 AM
p.s. basically my god is love.

somebigguy
12-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Yeah Gold, knock it off.

Partridge
12-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Question: If I somehow create a universe populated by intelligent beings (well, for a given definition of intelligent) in a science lab, does that make me a God or merely a very good scientist?

princesskittypoo
12-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Question: If I somehow create a universe populated by intelligent beings (well, for a given definition of intelligent) in a science lab, does that make me a God or merely a very good scientist?
it makes you a demi-god... ruled by other gods as well.

PhilosophyGenius
12-14-2005, 06:31 PM

Would that make you God? No, that would make you a stupid dueche bag.

:)

Gold9472
12-14-2005, 07:43 PM
I wasn't being "mean" to anyone... and I'm not offended that people believe in God. I know that the idea of "God" has been drilled into people's heads since the day they were born... I'm just talking logically...

Gold9472
12-14-2005, 07:45 PM

A good scientist.

Gold9472
12-14-2005, 07:45 PM
If a doctor brings a dead man back to life, does that make him a God or just someone schooled in medicine?

rayrayjones
12-14-2005, 07:57 PM
it's funny....that percentage is probably exactly the same as the percentage of americans who swallow, i mean, believe the official story of 9-11.

Gold9472
12-14-2005, 08:10 PM
it's funny....that percentage is probably exactly the same as the percentage of americans who swallow, i mean, believe the official story of 9-11.

I think you're WAY off on that one... take a look (http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6376).

rayrayjones
12-14-2005, 08:35 PM
I think you're WAY off on that one... take a look (http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6376).

i quoted in the other thread so as to not screw up this god posting.

princesskittypoo
12-14-2005, 10:44 PM
I wasn't being "mean" to anyone... and I'm not offended that people believe in God. I know that the idea of "God" has been drilled into people's heads since the day they were born... I'm just talking logically...
it may have been drilled into our heads but to my "logic" it's only "logical" there is a god. I can't put a face, name, or form to "it".
It's the same with love. How do you measure love? you can't. It just is, everything and nothing all at once.

Gold9472
12-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Actually a "God" is illogical... based on what we know through science...

Gold9472
12-14-2005, 10:52 PM
Ever see "Jurassic Park"? Jeff Goldblum's character says, "Life finds a way"... Life has found a "way" through millions and millions and millions of years of evolution...

ThotPolice
12-14-2005, 10:56 PM
it may have been drilled into our heads but to my "logic" it's only "logical" there is a god. I can't put a face, name, or form to "it".
It's the same with love. How do you measure love? you can't. It just is, everything and nothing all at once.Love has been measured
http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopics/love/ God is man made.

PhilosophyGenius
12-15-2005, 01:13 AM
I believe that the world was created scientifcally but "God-like" beings do exist (a lot of them). And of course ghosts and spirits and all that, they exist.

Jesus
12-15-2005, 01:14 AM
I believe that the world was created scientifcally but "God-like" beings do exist (a lot of them). And of course ghosts and spirits and all that, they exist.Holla!

rayrayjones
12-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Holla!

after 16 yrs of catholic school, i have lost my faith. i don't know what to believe....except -

we evolved.
there are evil people in this world.
and the government in lying about 9-11.

thank you.

PhilosophyGenius
12-15-2005, 01:29 AM
after 16 yrs of catholic school, i have lost my faith. i don't know what to believe....except -

we evolved.

thank you.

I don't blame you...when Jesus says "holla", then there is no God.

Jesus
12-15-2005, 02:20 AM

we evolved.

thank you.
So you studied the established religious authorities version of me for the last 16 years, do you remember two key phrases or did they keep that from you..... When I said "on this rock I build my church" what I meant was.. in nature the true spirit lies and that one needs NO authority to be righteous, and if you READ the bible you would know the one and ONLY insult I ever uttered was toward the established religion of the time...I called them "white clad serpents" meaning they were corrupt....not much has changed.

rayrayjones
12-15-2005, 03:00 PM
So you studied the established religious authorities version of me for the last 16 years, do you remember two key phrases or did they keep that from you..... When I said "on this rock I build my church" what I meant was.. in nature the true spirit lies and that one needs NO authority to be righteous, and if you READ the bible you would know the one and ONLY insult I ever uttered was toward the established religion of the time...I called them "white clad serpents" meaning they were corrupt....not much has changed.

Jesus was the one fighting against the abuse of power. the established religion was the evil he was fighting against, much like the corrupted Catholic church today...i think the last one to effectively open the minds of individuals was Martin Luther when he brought about the reformation, unfortunately, it only created more religious sects, creating more division. making easier to control the minds of the individuals.

I have not been to Church on a regular basis in over 8 years. i don't even go to the token holiday masses anymore, and my mom does not ask me to go either.

that being said, i know the teachings of christ. it would be hard to forget the moral teachings, however i see many christians who dont understand the whole "do onto others as you would do onto me" or "to the least of my brothers, you do to me" or treat others how you would want to be treated.

all variations of the golden rule which is not limited to Christianity. In fact, it is the basis of nearly every religious text. Which is why i can't subscribe to one religion anymore....they are all the same with slight variations of the same doctrine.

hell, the 3 biggest all claim to come from the same family, the house of Abraham, and yet they all fight as though they each think they are the favorite child of the father, kinda like an older, middle and younger siblings fighting over the affection of the parents.

and because of this hostility, people in power use it to weaken the citizens control of their lives. Most people want peace, but when faced with an external unknown threat, people naturally group together to fight off the unknown, regardless of how illogical it might be.

i feel people should embrace their humanity and use that to create a just world, not seek to find answers in a book that has been manipulated over the years in an effort to control those same people.

remember, it is those at the top that tell us it is the "word of god" and that we need to listen to them to inorder to be good people, oh and by the way, we are going to pass around this collection basket.

granted the community that comes together are indeed good things. However, it is the structure and the authority figures that make the experience unpleasant to me.

I do not need to enter a house of worship to connect with "an all powerful being"....if he or she is all powerful, then that entity is sitting with me right here and now, guiding my thoughts and words.

however, my personal feelings dictate my actions in regard to others. i do not want to hurt others because i do not want others to hurt me. for this, i do not need a structured sit down, stand up experience. it doesn't even do anything but demand complaince and control over one's life. sometimes when everyone is standing, i want to sit, other times when others are sitting, i want to kneel....the whole act is pure conformity and does bring any spirituality to the table.

but that attitude was formed over 18 yrs of church, every sunday, every year. it was only after i was in college and could take religious courses not centered around christianity did i realize i didn't need the church to be a good person...but i don't forget the teachings, they are the only things that matter.

Jesus
12-15-2005, 09:13 PM
:bigclap: Very well said, my son.

jetsetlemming
12-17-2005, 02:52 PM
If "everyone has their own belief" as to what "God" is, do you think that could be because we HAVE NO EVIDENCE of its' existence? Don't you think we should believe in something we at least KNOW exists?
Everyone's got their own opinion on life and what makes a good one as well, Gold. Does that mean that life doesn't exist?

jetsetlemming
12-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Creating the species would make you a good scientist. Creating the seperate universe to put them in, however, would make you a god.
btw, you can't be a God. You can, however, be a god. God is a name, god is a classification.

princesskittypoo
12-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Creating the species would make you a good scientist. Creating the seperate universe to put them in, however, would make you a god.
btw, you can't be a God. You can, however, be a god. God is a name, god is a classification.
cool i like that answer at least the last sentence in your answer.