PDA

View Full Version : Willis Film To Show Diehard GIs "Fighting For Freedom"

Gold9472
11-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Willis film to show diehard GIs 'fighting for freedom'

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17383054%255E601,00.html

(Gold9472: I will no longer buy, rent, or see Bruce Willis movies.)

Sarah Baxter, Washington
November 28, 2005

ANGERED by negative portrayals of the Iraq conflict, actor Bruce Willis is to make a pro-war film in which US soldiers will be depicted as brave fighters for freedom and democracy.

It will be based on the exploits of the heavily decorated members of Deuce Four, the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry, which has spent the past year battling insurgents in the northern Iraqi town of Mosul.

Willis attended Deuce Four's homecoming ball this month in Seattle, Washington, where the soldiers are on leave, along with Stephen Eads, the producer of Willis's films Armageddon and The Sixth Sense.

The 50-year-old actor said he was in talks about a film of "these guys who do what they are asked to for very little money to defend and fight for what they consider to be freedom". Unlike many Hollywood stars, Willis supports the war and recently offered a $US1million ($1.35million) bounty for the capture of any of al-Qa'ida's most-wanted leaders such as Osama bin Laden, Ayman al-Zawahiri or Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, its commander in Iraq. Willis visited the war zone with his rock and blues band, the Accelerators, in 2003.

"I am baffled to understand why the things I saw happening in Iraq are not being reported," he told MSNBC, the US news channel.

He is expected to base the film on the writings of the independent blogger Michael Yon, a former special forces green beret who was embedded with Deuce Four and sent regular dispatches about their heroics.

Yon was at the soldiers' ball with Willis, who got to know him through his internet war reports on a blog site. "What he is doing is something the American media and maybe the world media isn't doing," the actor said, "and that's telling the truth about what's happening in the war in Iraq."

Willis is likely to take on the role of the unit's commander, Lieutenant-Colonel Erik Kurilla, 39, a Bruce Willis lookalike except with more hair, a chest full of medals and a glamorous blonde wife.

He was injured in August after being shot three times by insurgents "in front of my eyes", Yon recorded in his blog: "He continued to direct his men until a medic gave him morphine and the men took him away."

Kurilla now has a titanium plate in his leg. He met Willis at the ball and said his men were "very excited and appreciative that he was there". "

Deuce Four has a chequered history. For decades it was a segregated black unit commanded by a white officer. It was disbanded in 1951 but veterans felt hurt that its past was considered to be a stain on the army and it was revived in the mid-1990s.

When the battalion arrived in Mosul in November last year the city was under threat from insurgents. "We faced very heavy fighting for about three months," Kurilla recalled.

"Every patrol was making contact with enemy forces. We would hit them where they slept, where they worked and where they ate."

Today the picture was very different, he said. "I have watched a city that was in absolute chaos turn into one that has a viable Iraqi security force, which is taking the lead in fighting the terrorists."

Yon, 41, went to Iraq after a friend from high school, Scott Helveston, a former navy Seal, was hanged from a bridge in Fallujah in an incident that shocked the world. Yon had never blogged before but was the author of Danger Close, a book about his experience as a green beret when he killed a man in a bar-room brawl. He was charged with murder and acquitted on the grounds of self-defence.

"When I landed in Baghdad I was immediately struck by how much of a war zone it was," Yon said. "Explosions were going off constantly. It was full-on."

His first experience of Mosul was worse: "I got attacked on my first mission. One of our vehicles got hit with a car bomb and three guys were killed."

In May, Yon took a photograph of a soldier from the Deuce Four cradling a little Iraqi girl who had been fatally wounded by a suicide bomber. He sensed that the inhabitants of Mosul were turning against the insurgents.

"People began to realise that all the insurgents ever did was break things and kill people," he said.

"It started to switch from a firefight to an intelligence war. People started to talk more to us. They would pull us over and give us tips."

The Iraqi security forces began to take pride in their work, Yon added: "These guys were getting slaughtered but they continued to volunteer and fight. It's very dangerous now to be a terrorist in Mosul. They're still out there but it's not like it was."

Willis said it would be wrong for Americans to give up on Iraq just as progress was being made.

"The Iraqi people want to live in a world where they can move from their homes to the market and not have to fear being killed," he said. "I mean, doesn't everybody want that?"

The Sunday Times

beltman713
11-28-2005, 07:28 PM
It's like the Green Berets, with John Wayne, warmed over.

Gold9472
11-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Yeah... it's like propaganda is what it is...