PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Accused of Giving "Liberal Quiz"

PhilosophyGenius
11-26-2005, 12:01 AM
Teacher Accused of Giving 'Liberal Quiz'

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20051125092809990002&ncid=NWS00010000000001

11/25/05

BENNINGTON, Vt. (Nov. 25) - The school superintendent whose district includes Mount Anthony Union High School has labeled "inappropriate" and "irresponsible" an English teacher's use of liberal statements in a vocabulary quiz.

"I wish Bush would be (coherent, eschewed) for once during a speech, but there are theories that his everyday diction charms the below-average mind, hence insuring him Republican votes," said one question on a quiz written by English and social studies teacher Bret Chenkin.

The question referring to the president asked students to say whether coherent or eschewed was the proper word. The sentence would be more coherent if one eschewed eschewed.

Another example said, "It is frightening the way the extreme right has (balled, arrogated) aspects of the Constitution and warped them for their own agenda." Arrogated would be the proper word there.

Chenkin, 36 and a teacher for seven years, said the quizzes are being taken out of context.

"The kids know it's hyperbolic, so-to-speak," he said. "They know it's tongue in cheek. They know where I stand."

He said he isn't shy about sharing his liberal views with students, but invites vigorous debate in the classroom.

"Never once have I said, 'OK, you're wrong,"' he said. "Instead, it's, 'OK, let's open this up. Let's see where this can go."'

Southwest Vermont Supervisory Union Superintendent Wesley Knapp said he would not want his children subjected to such teaching.

"It's absolutely unacceptable," he said. "They (teachers) don't have a license to hold forth on a particular standpoint."

Knapp said he was recently informed of the situation and that it was a personnel issue that he took seriously.

Principal Sue Maguire said she hoped to speak to whoever complained about the quiz and any students who might be concerned. She said she also would talk with Chenkin about the context of the quiz.

"I feel like this needs to be investigated," she said.

jetsetlemming
11-26-2005, 11:20 AM
I was expecting something toeing the line, but yeah, that guy was way overdoing it. Most high school kids today are liberal (because it's "cool"), they don't exactly need any help.

Partridge
11-26-2005, 12:21 PM
"I wish Bush would be (coherent, eschewed) for once during a speech, but there are theories that his everyday diction charms the below-average mind, hence insuring him Republican votes,"

ensuring, surely?

You insure your newly acquired financial complex in lower Manhattan, you then ensure something happens it so you can claim all that lovely insurance money, and your financial future is assured.

beltman713
11-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Maybe he should have just had sex with one of his students, then maybe he wouldn't have got in as much trouble.