PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Denies Using White Phosphorus On Iraqi Civilians

Gold9472
11-08-2005, 07:39 PM
U.S. denies using white phosphorus on Iraqi civilians

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/08112005/325/u-s-denies-using-white-phosphorus-iraqi-civilians.html

Tuesday November 8, 08:32 PM

ROME (Reuters) - The U.S. military in Iraq denied a report shown on Italian state television on Tuesday saying U.S. forces used incendiary white phosphorus against civilians in a November 2004 offensive on the Iraqi town of Falluja.

It confirmed, however, that U.S. forces had dropped MK 77 firebombs -- which a documentary on Italian state-run broadcaster RAI compared to napalm -- against military targets in Iraq in March and April 2003.

The documentary showed images of bodies recovered after a November 2004 offensive by U.S. troops on the town of Falluja, which it said proved the use of white phosphorus against men, women and children who were burnt to the bone.

"I do know that white phosphorus was used," said Jeff Englehart in the RAI documentary, which identified him as a former soldier in the U.S. 1st Infantry Division in Iraq.

"Burnt bodies. Burnt children and burnt women," said Englehart, who RAI said had taken part in the Falluja offensive. "White phosphorus kills indiscriminately."

The U.S. Marines in Baghdad described white phosphorus as a "conventional munition" used primarily for smoke screens and target marking. It denied using it against civilians.

"Suggestions that U.S. forces targeted civilians with these weapons are simply wrong," U.S. Marine Major Tim Keefe said in an e-mail to Reuters. "Had the producers of the documentary bothered to ask us for comment, we would have certainly told them that the premise of the programme was erroneous."

He said U.S. forces do not use any chemical weapons in Iraq.

A U.S. military spokesman in Baghdad said earlier on Tuesday he did not recall white phosphorus being used in Falluja.

An incendiary device, white phosphorus is also used to light up combat areas. The use of incendiary weapons against civilians has been banned by the Geneva Convention since 1980.

The United States did not sign the relevant protocol to the convention, a U.N. official in New York said.

The Falluja offensive aimed to crush followers of al Qaeda's Iraq leader, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, said to have linked up with local insurgents in the Sunni Arab city west of Baghdad.

Some Western newspapers reported at the time that white phosphorus had been used during the offensive.

In the documentary called "Falluja: The Hidden Massacre", RAI also said U.S. forces used the Mark 77 firebomb.

It cited a letter it said came from British Armed Forces Minister Adam Ingram, saying 30 MK 77 weapons were used on military targets in Iraq between March 31 and April 2, 2003.

"The only instance of MK 77 use during (Operation Iraqi Freedom) occurred in March/April 2003 when U.S. Marines employed several bombs against legitimate military targets," Keefe said.

He said the chemical composition of the MK 77 firebomb is different from that of napalm.

RAI posted a copy of the document at: http://www.rainews24.rai.it/ran24/inchiesta/foto/documento_ministero.jpg.

Italy has nearly 3,000 troops in Iraq despite strong opposition to their presence there.

Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is trailing in opinion polls ahead of April elections, and his centre-left rivals have vowed to eventually pull troops out of Iraq.

RAI posted the full report, including television images, at http://www.rainews24.rai.it/ran24/inchiesta/

(Additional reporting by Alistair Lyon in London and Claudia Parsons in Baghdad)

Partridge
11-08-2005, 09:27 PM
"Had the producers of the documentary bothered to ask us for comment, we would have certainly told them that the premise of the programme was erroneous."

Heh, gotta love that really. Reminds me of the Greg Palast book, where he says after offering his story on the 2000 voter-purge in Florida to a tv company (CBS?), they sit on it. He rings them up a week or so later and asks 'are you going to run it?' - "Well, we talked to Jeb Bush's office, and he says it isn't true - so no, we're not going to run with it."

(The story concerned Jeb Bush and Katerine Harris)

Gold9472
11-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Remember that scene in "Shawshank Redemption" where they asked everyone in jail whether they did it or not... "Nope, I'm innocent.", "My lawyer screwed me over"...

Partridge
11-08-2005, 09:50 PM
Thing is, at this stage, I'd probably believe a convicted criminal's protestations of innocence (a criminal whom I had seen commit the crime with my own eyes) over a US Military spokesperson.