PDA

View Full Version : It's Much Too Late To Sweat Global Warming

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 07:33 PM
It's much too late to sweat global warming
Time to prepare for inevitable effects of our ill-fated future

Mark Hertsgaard

Sunday, February 13, 2005

At the core of the global warming dilemma is a fact neither side of the debate likes to talk about: It is already too late to prevent global warming and the climate change it sets off.

Environmentalists won't say this for fear of sounding alarmist or defeatist. Politicians won't say it because then they'd have to do something about it. The world's top climate scientists have been sending this message, however, with increasing urgency for many years.

Since 1988, the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, comprised of more than 2,000 scientific and technical experts from around the world, has conducted the most extensive peer-reviewed scientific inquiry in history.

In its 2001 report, the panel said that human-caused global warming had already begun, and much sooner than expected. What's more, the problem is bound to get worse, perhaps a lot worse, before it gets better.

Last month, the climate change panel's chairman, Rajendra Pachauri, upped the ante. Although Pachauri was installed after the Bush administration forced out his predecessor, Robert Watson, for pushing too hard for action, the accumulation of evidence led Pachauri to embrace apocalyptic language: "We are risking the ability of the human race to survive," he said.

Until now, most public discussion about global warming has focused on how to prevent it -- for example, by implementing the Kyoto Protocol, which comes into force internationally (but without U.S. participation) on Wednesday. But prevention is no longer a sufficient option. No matter how many "green" cars and solar panels Kyoto eventually calls into existence, the hard fact is that a certain amount of global warming is inevitable.

The world community therefore must make a strategic shift. It must expand its response to global warming to emphasize both long-term and short-term protection. Rising sea levels and more weather-related disasters will be a fact of life on this planet for decades to come, and we have to get ready for them.

Among the steps needed to defend ourselves is quick action to fortify emergency response capabilities worldwide, to shield or relocate vulnerable coastal communities and to prepare for increased migration flows by environmental refugees.

We must also play offense. We must retroactively shrink the amount of warming facing us by redoubling efforts to remove existing greenhouse gases from the atmosphere and sequester them where they are no longer dangerous. One way is to plant trees, which absorb carbon dioxide via photosynthesis.

Researchers are exploring many other methods as well, some of them supported by the Bush administration. And Norway is burying carbon dioxide in abandoned oil wells beneath the North Sea.

The problem with the Kyoto Protocol is not that the 5 percent greenhouse gas emission reductions it mandates don't go far enough, though they don't. (The climate change panel urges 50 to 70 percent reductions.)

The problem is that Kyoto governs only future emissions. No matter how well the protocol works, it will have no effect on past emissions, which are what have made global warming unavoidable.

Contrary to the impression given by some news reports, global warming is not like a light switch that can be turned off if we simply stop burning so much oil, coal and gas.

There is a lag effect of about 50 to 100 years. That's how long carbon dioxide, the primary greenhouse gas, remains in the atmosphere after it is emitted from auto tailpipes, home furnaces and industrial smokestacks.

So even if humanity stopped burning fossil fuels tomorrow, the planet would continue warming for decades.

So far, the greenhouse gases released during two-plus centuries of industrialization have increased global temperatures by about 1 degree Fahrenheit and raised sea levels by 4 to 7 inches.

They have also given rise to the larger phenomenon of climate change. The climate change panel scientists predict that because of global warming, the future will bring more and deadlier weather of all kinds -- more hurricanes, tornadoes, downpours, heat waves, droughts and blizzards -- and all that comes in their aftermath: flooding, landslides, power outages, crop failures, property damage, disease, hunger, poverty and loss of life.

In California, torrential rains induced a mudslide on Jan. 11 that killed 10 people, buried children alive and crushed dozens of houses. In 2003, a record summer heat wave killed 35,000 people, most of them elderly, in Western Europe. And this is just the beginning.

Scientists are careful to say that no single weather event can be definitively linked to global warming, but the trend is unmistakable to the insurance companies that end up paying the bill.

"Man-made climate change will bring us increasingly extreme natural events and, consequently, increasingly large catastrophe losses," an official of Munich Re, the world's large reinsurance company, said recently. Swiss Re expects losses to reach $150 billion a year within this decade.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair regards climate change as "the single biggest long-term problem" of any kind facing his country. His government's top scientist, Sir David King, goes further, calling climate change "the biggest danger humanity has faced in 5,000 years of civilization."

Although the Bush White House continues to downplay the urgency of global warming, some parts of the Bush administration have recognized the gravity of the situation. A report released last year by the Pentagon's Office of Net Assessments said that by 2020, climate change could unleash a series of interlocking catastrophes including mega-droughts, mass starvation and even nuclear war as countries like China and India battle over river valleys and other sources of scarce food and water.

All of this underlines the urgency of revising the world's response to climate change. To be sure, it remains essential to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by strengthening the Kyoto Protocol and augmenting it with other measures. Otherwise, the amount of warming that civilization eventually will have to endure will prove too great to survive.

In the meantime, it is imperative to prepare against the climate change already on its way.

The need for such a two-track strategy of prevention and protection is gaining acceptance from most of the world's governments. In Britain, the Department of the Environment promises to publish its strategy for adapting to global warming by the end of 2005.

At the most recent international meeting on global warming, held in Buenos Aires in December, a majority of the delegates supported the establishment of a fund to aid countries already suffering from the early effects of global warming.

A leading candidate for such aid is Tuvalu. A Pacific atoll whose highest point is 12 feet above sea level, Tuvalu was largely submerged last year by 10- foot seasonal high tides. But the United States opposed the adaptation assistance, arguing that there is no "certainty what constitutes a dangerous level of warming... ."

Preparing to live through the global climate change bearing down on our civilization will be an enormous undertaking. It will require immense financial resources, technical expertise and organizational skill. But perhaps what's needed most of all, especially in the United States, is fresh thinking and political leadership -- an acceptance that climate change is inescapable and requires immediate counter-measures.

The unspeakable death and destruction wrought by the Indian Ocean tsunami showed what can happen when people are unprepared for disaster, but there is no reason global warming should take us by surprise.

Our civilization's early warning system -- the scientists of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change -- have been telling us for years that great danger is approaching. The question is, will we act quickly and decisively enough to protect ourselves against the coming storm? Or will we simply stand and face our fate naked, proud and unafraid?

Mark Hertsgaard is the author most recently of "The Eagle's Shadow: Why America Fascinates and Infuriates the World; and "Earth Odyssey: Around the World In Search of Our Environmental Future."

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/13/INGP4B7GC91.DTL

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Wow.

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 07:50 PM
I wrote this a long time ago. The "cause" is different, but the thinking is the same.

I KNOW THIS IS CRAZY, BUT...

I wonder...

http://archives.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/08/23/green.century.mass.extinction/index.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2000325.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3119434.stm
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/05/14/coolsc.disappearingfish/

Do you think they're preparing for the MASS EXTINCTION?

Do you think they're THAT evil or THAT Brilliant??

9/11 was created for the purposes of getting oil, drugs, and money.

What do they want all of that oil, and money for?

Is it for us? Why not just build alternative fuels?

If they get all of the oil now, and all of the money they can, and build shelters for themselves somewhere on the planet, they can maintain their way of life.

We don't REALLY know what Area 51 is other than a testing facility for experimental aircraft. What about what's below? Maybe it's a shelter of some sort. Maybe there are those TYPES of facilities elsewhere, and we don't even know about it.

They being the REAL leaders of this world.

The planet is 4.6 billion years old. In that time there have been 5 mass extinctions. (elimination of over 90% of all life on earth).

People think a mass extinction occurs like in a day or a week or a year, but it occurs over hundreds or thousands of years. 1/2 of all resources are depleted. half of all species on earth are extinct. We are now living in a mass extinction, but we don't really realize it.

The Carl Sagan calendar.

Pretend that your looking at the month of October on a calendar. 1 -31 days.

Pretend 1 is the day the earth was created 4 billion years ago. And 31 is now. So in relative terms, Sharks have been around for like a week. Cockroaches have been around for like 3 weeks. Turtles, maybe 5 days.

So....... How long have Humans been around?

A week? A day?

Answer: not even 1 second.

Do the math, Carl sagan did it.

Thoughts?

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Here's an educational link if you're interested.

Click Here (http://www.google.com/pagead/iclk?adurl=http://dels.nas.edu/ccgc/%3Freferrer%3DGoogle&sa=l&ai=B_nW_yjIVQtSyHcOGae3g9NwB9uLvBoDlyKEB7ePwBpCSFA gAEAEYASgCOABIrTmgAby84v4DyAEB)

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 08:28 PM
I know this... I'm going to follow the animals. :) Isn't that the ultimate irony? Throughout history, we've hunted, enslaved, killed, admired, respected, and even loved animals. However, we've always thought of ourselves as "Better Than" because we can walk, talk, create, etc...

In the "End" though (whenever that is), we'll probably rely on the animals to tell us what to do.

WhiteGuySaysThis
02-17-2005, 08:44 PM
I am sure there will be some kind of warning in the end...I refer you to http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598

ScottyAH
02-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Good. This life's unappreiciated. We all are going to die. Fuck it...Parties over
The human's fucked it up for everybody

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 08:56 PM
I am sure there will be some kind of warning in the end...I refer you to http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598

What? I'm not dying dude... are you?

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Good. This life's unappreiciated. We all are going to die. Fuck it...Parties over

I doubt that, but I'm sure things are going to get worse before they get better.

somebigguy
02-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Don't worry, we'll simply colonize the moon and destroy it as well. The main thing is that we don't take away every persons God given right to drive gas guzzing SUVs.

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Don't worry, we'll simply colonize the moon and destroy it as well. The main thing is that we don't take away every persons God given right to drive gas guzzing SUVs.

We are a stupid lot aren't we.

somebigguy
02-17-2005, 09:03 PM
I agree Scotty, the human race isn't worth saving anyway. Just a bunch of greedy, self serving slobs.

The single most effective thing anyone can do to help the environment is go vegetarian. Even one or two vegetarian meals a week could make a huge difference.

However, how many of us will make that sacrifice for the greater good? Not many I'd bet.

http://www.yvesveggie.com/splash.php?referer=home.php&refererQS=

somebigguy
02-17-2005, 09:05 PM
We are a stupid lot aren't we.
This shit you keep digging up is depressing as hell Gold. Oh well, better than living in ignorance or denial though huh? Better than being a neocon.

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 09:06 PM
I agree Scotty, the human race isn't worth saving anyway. Just a bunch of greedy, self serving slobs.

The single most effective thing anyone can do to help the environment is go vegetarian. Even one or two vegetarian meals a week could make a huge difference.

However, how many of us will make that sacrifice for the greater good? Not many I'd bet.

I know someone who's going to comment on what you just said... ooooooh...

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 09:07 PM
This shit you keep digging up is depressing as hell Gold. Oh well, better than living in ignorance or denial though huh? Better than being a neocon.

No, you are 100% right. I was just thinking about that...

We pretty much know what's going on.

The next week, I'm going to commit myself to only post the "Good News".

somebigguy
02-17-2005, 09:07 PM
I know someone who's going to comment on what you just said... ooooooh...
Oh yeah? Who? Not The Shape again I hope...

somebigguy
02-17-2005, 09:08 PM
No, you are 100% right. I was just thinking about that...

We pretty much know what's going on.

The next week, I'm going to commit myself to only post the "Good News".
Fuck that dude, keep the real shit coming. If I wanted to be happy I wouldn't be wasting my time with you losers. (sorry, I'd put a smilie guy up here, but don't know how).

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Oh yeah? Who? Not The Shape again I hope...

Uber Commandante... He's the bastard who told me about Veal.

somebigguy
02-17-2005, 09:09 PM
The thing is, the environmentalists have been warning this stuff for years and they run into the same groups of assholes that we do that won't listen and just assume everything is OK.

Make no mistake, we got it coming...

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 09:10 PM
Fuck that dude, keep the real shit coming. If I wanted to be happy I wouldn't be wasting my time with you losers. (sorry, I'd put a smilie guy up here, but don't know how).

Hey... you post whatever you want... everything I post is generally from the above links anyway (most times) unless I get "creative".

This is for MY sanity...

somebigguy
02-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Uber Commandante... He's the bastard who told me about Veal.
And if you eat veal, you deserve a slow painful death.

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 09:11 PM
The thing is, the environmentalists have been warning this stuff for years and they run into the same groups of assholes that we do that won't listen and just assume everything is OK.

Make no mistake, we got it coming...

Well... Maybe it's time the 99% started telling the 1% what to do.

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 09:12 PM
And if you eat veal, you deserve a slow painful death.

Not anymore.

somebigguy
02-17-2005, 09:13 PM
Well... Maybe it's time the 99% started telling the 1% what to do.
The environmentalists are the 1%. It's the same 99% no matter what your cause is. That group of people who don't give a shit about anything unless it affects them. Unfortunately once it does affect them, it affects everyone else too, because at that point it's an epidemic.

somebigguy
02-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Not anymore.
Atta boy!!

Uber Commandante from the old board? Or is he here?

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Atta boy!!

Uber Commandante from the old board? Or is he here?

He's a "YBBS" original.

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 09:17 PM
The environmentalists are the 1%. It's the same 99% no matter what your cause is. That group of people who don't give a shit about anything unless it affects them. Unfortunately once it does affect them, it affects everyone else too, because at that point it's an epidemic.

Good point.

somebigguy
02-17-2005, 09:18 PM
He's a "YBBS" original.
Really?? Haven't run into him. Sounds like a good guy.

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Really?? Haven't run into him. Sounds like a good guy.

He is to me, what Qui Gonn was to Obi Wan.

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 09:21 PM
However...

He is absent minded, pompous, arrogant, and can't play Curveball to save his life.

(I kiss his ass a little too much)

somebigguy
02-17-2005, 09:22 PM
He is to me, what Qui Gonn was to Obi Wan.
Don't know who the fuck those guys are but assume that's good!!!

somebigguy
02-17-2005, 09:24 PM
However...

He is absent minded, pompous, arrogant, and can't play Curveball to save his life.

(I kiss his ass a little too much)
So he's just like you (except for the curveball).

Gold9472
02-17-2005, 09:28 PM
So he's just like you (except for the curveball).

I'll let you decide. He and I are VERY different.

Nowhereman
02-17-2005, 09:59 PM
I eat veggie burgers and such because high Chloresterol runs in my family. It has nothing to do with the poor cows.

Christophera
02-17-2005, 11:26 PM
9-11 is the key to the future.

If we can determine what happened, we will learn how to control our behaviors and slowly reverse global warming by hypnotizing people and convincing them that breathing air is more important than burning it in an SUV IC engine.

danceyogamom
02-18-2005, 12:15 AM
I'm curious about the carbon dioxide being buried off the north sea. Something tells me that it will come back to bite us all in the ass, and at a very inopportune time.

I've heard it said that if all the current farm and range land in the US were used for feeding people (and not livestock) and if everyone on the planet ate vegetarian, then there would be enough food to wipe out starvation on a global level. Of course, that doesn't take into account the fact that humanity would have to share. Something we seem incapable of, since as a species we haven't really evolved past the age of one and a half. It would also require that people in charge of distributing food not hoard it in order to exploit the masses. *I really hate that. fuckers*

Along with the Carl Sagan time line, I believe we should consider the empire time line. As I recall (and I'm not bothering to research this now), there hasn't been an empire on this planet that has lasted much past 250 years. Egypt, Rome, Greece, The Huns, The Incas, The British Empire .... They all had their moment in the sun - and they all since been reduced to ordinary countries. Is it possible that the powers that be here in the US are hording fossil fuels in some crazy attempt to cling to our way of life ... not as Gas Guzzeling, SUV driving, soccer mom suburbaniets ... but as a empire trying not to fade?

Gold9472
02-18-2005, 09:46 AM
9-11 is the key to the future.

If we can determine what happened, we will learn how to control our behaviors and slowly reverse global warming by hypnotizing people and convincing them that breathing air is more important than burning it in an SUV IC engine.

Instead of using words like "hypnotizing", why not say, "convincing" instead? It sounds less "wierd".

"9-11 is the key to the future.

If we can determine what happened, we will learn how to control our behaviors and slowly reverse global warming by convincing people that breathing air is more important than burning it in an SUV IC engine."

Doesn't that sound better? That's why you got "harassed" at the PSBB...

Uber Commandante
02-18-2005, 10:23 AM

SBG, in regards to the 'human race' I would redirect you instead to Western Culture. Non-Industrial cultures have survived quite well for at least tens of thousands of years, if not hundreds. Why? Because, like a wolf pack or a whale pod, the evolutionary social structure of man is in tribes - tribes have worked within the natural order, not above the natural order. I would also recommend the books "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn, "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkinds, and "The Food of the Gods" by Terrance McKenna for more on this topic.

In a nutshell, the abandonment of hunting/gathering for large scale agriculuture assures a community of more food. Therefor they have more babies (ecologicall fact: more food = more babies - which is why sending food to Africa only ensures that more people will die in the future). Since you have more babies, you need more food, so you take more wild lands and put them under plow,so you get even more food, and thus have more babies, and so you need more land for more food, and I think you get the picture. This basically forms the basis for our western civilization (although to call it Western is a little to exclusive).

sorry if that was pompous, Gold - you ASS!

Uber Commandante
02-18-2005, 10:27 AM
I'm curious about the carbon dioxide being buried off the north sea. Something tells me that it will come back to bite us all in the ass, and at a very inopportune time.

I've heard it said that if all the current farm and range land in the US were used for feeding people (and not livestock) and if everyone on the planet ate vegetarian, then there would be enough food to wipe out starvation on a global level. Of course, that doesn't take into account the fact that humanity would have to share. Something we seem incapable of, since as a species we haven't really evolved past the age of one and a half. It would also require that people in charge of distributing food not hoard it in order to exploit the masses. *I really hate that. fuckers*

Along with the Carl Sagan time line, I believe we should consider the empire time line. As I recall (and I'm not bothering to research this now), there hasn't been an empire on this planet that has lasted much past 250 years. Egypt, Rome, Greece, The Huns, The Incas, The British Empire .... They all had their moment in the sun - and they all since been reduced to ordinary countries. Is it possible that the powers that be here in the US are hording fossil fuels in some crazy attempt to cling to our way of life ... not as Gas Guzzeling, SUV driving, soccer mom suburbaniets ... but as a empire trying not to fade?

DYM - Its true that converting range land to farm land would feed more people because every time you 'step up' the food chain, you lose 90% of the nutrients. So, if you take 100 pounds of food and give it to a cow, you would get 10 pounds of beef. Slightly oversimplified, but thats basically it. So you are right. BUT - if you read my earlier post, all that food would mean more babies, and so eventually we'd be in another food plight unless as someone else mentioned, we can learn to control ourselves and our seemingly insatiable lust for consumption - especially we Americans.

Gold9472
02-18-2005, 10:27 AM
SBG, in regards to the 'human race' I would redirect you instead to Western Culture. Non-Industrial cultures have survived quite well for at least tens of thousands of years, if not hundreds. Why? Because, like a wolf pack or a whale pod, the evolutionary social structure of man is in tribes - tribes have worked within the natural order, not above the natural order. I would also recommend the books "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn, "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkinds, and "The Food of the Gods" by Terrance McKenna for more on this topic.

In a nutshell, the abandonment of hunting/gathering for large scale agriculuture assures a community of more food. Therefor they have more babies (ecologicall fact: more food = more babies - which is why sending food to Africa only ensures that more people will die in the future). Since you have more babies, you need more food, so you take more wild lands and put them under plow,so you get even more food, and thus have more babies, and so you need more land for more food, and I think you get the picture. This basically forms the basis for our western civilization (although to call it Western is a little to exclusive).

Braniac.

danceyogamom
02-18-2005, 10:42 AM
DYM - Its true that converting range land to farm land would feed more people because every time you 'step up' the food chain, you lose 90% of the nutrients. So, if you take 100 pounds of food and give it to a cow, you would get 10 pounds of beef. Slightly oversimplified, but thats basically it. So you are right. BUT - if you read my earlier post, all that food would mean more babies, and so eventually we'd be in another food plight unless as someone else mentioned, we can learn to control ourselves and our seemingly insatiable lust for consumption - especially we Americans.

I believe that human nature tends to mean more babies ... there isn't any way around it.

what they say about the biological clock ... its very real. The drive to procreate is strong in most women - even if their ideals don't mirror what their bodies are telling them.

I understand that you are referring to the food = better procreation conditions equation ... but everyone everywhere is reproducing with or without the equation.

Gold9472
02-19-2005, 10:10 AM
I believe that human nature tends to mean more babies ... there isn't any way around it.

what they say about the biological clock ... its very real. The drive to procreate is strong in most women - even if their ideals don't mirror what their bodies are telling them.

I understand that you are referring to the food = better procreation conditions equation ... but everyone everywhere is reproducing with or without the equation.

Uh oh. You disagreed with Uber Commandante... oooooooooooh :eek:

somebigguy
02-19-2005, 10:37 AM

Hey Uber, that's a good point. I read a study once that if they took all the land used to grow feed for cows and instead grow soy to feed people, that could end world hunger.

However, that would be a temporary thing as people became healthier and started popping out more kids.

Regarding sending food to Africa, I'd rather send them some condoms. Doesn't the latest statistic state 10% of Africa has aids? What the hell is wrong with them, why do they keep breeding? Because it's their right, they'll say. There's no food, everyone has aids, and they keep breeding. More human stupidity in my book.

somebigguy
02-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Braniac.
Come on guys, settle this like men. With video games, in the arcade!!!!

somebigguy
02-19-2005, 10:42 AM

I agree, it's a strong natural instinct for people. However, Man (& Women) are supposedly much more intelligent and advanced then the rest of the animal kingdom. You'd think we'd eventually get smart enough to say, ENOUGH brats already.

Of course, the religious kooks are encouraging everyone with a pulse to screw their heads off and make babies. That group of people are so brainwashed, we don't stand a chance.

Ophie
02-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Hey Uber, that's a good point. I read a study once that if they took all the land used to grow feed for cows and instead grow soy to feed people, that could end world hunger.

However, that would be a temporary thing as people became healthier and started popping out more kids.

Regarding sending food to Africa, I'd rather send them some condoms. Doesn't the latest statistic state 10% of Africa has aids? What the hell is wrong with them, why do they keep breeding? Because it's their right, they'll say. There's no food, everyone has aids, and they keep breeding. More human stupidity in my book.
Well, we DO send them condoms, just not enough of them. What we should do is set up some kind of sex education program for them, letting them know how AIDS is spread, how to prevent it and such. Plus, we should send more condoms, because what we're sending just isn't enough.

They also have a real problem over there with prostitution, which is mainly how AIDS is spread among their population.

princesskittypoo
02-19-2005, 11:21 PM
This has depress me. I was already depressed earlier. :( What has become of us that we will ruin everyones chances of life/love. I put it together cause that's what it's all about, life that is.
I've heard too many stories on Global Warming. They use to say the heat going up was global warming. Then they said because we were having colder weather that we weren't in global warming. Then it was the strange fluxuation in weather/climates that proved global warming exists.
All you have to do is see that animals are dying in the environment that they have lived for millions of years to know that something is wrong... be it global warming or pollution. I've heard that every 5 degrees we go up in temperature will kill another species. If one species dies the species that eats that species will suffer and it will go up the food chain. We will be affected one day.
'm so sad. :( someone love me so i can get out of this depression.

The Shape
02-20-2005, 10:44 PM
This has depress me. I was already depressed earlier. :( What has become of us that we will ruin everyones chances of life/love. I put it together cause that's what it's all about, life that is.
I've heard too many stories on Global Warming. They use to say the heat going up was global warming. Then they said because we were having colder weather that we weren't in global warming. Then it was the strange fluxuation in weather/climates that proved global warming exists.
All you have to do is see that animals are dying in the environment that they have lived for millions of years to know that something is wrong... be it global warming or pollution. I've heard that every 5 degrees we go up in temperature will kill another species. If one species dies the species that eats that species will suffer and it will go up the food chain. We will be affected one day.
'm so sad. :( someone love me so i can get out of this depression.
We are already affected by it, we're so used to it we don't even realize it. We have to cover ourselves with sunscreen before going outside. We drink filtered or bottled water which probably sounded absurd 20 years ago.

Ten years from now we'll probably be doing something that sounds absurd now, buying oxygen in some sort of disposable manner. Little oxygen masks. Actually aren't there oxygen bars popping up here and there???

danceyogamom
02-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Uh oh. You disagreed with Uber Commandante... oooooooooooh :eek:

uh-oh ... does that get me penalty points or something :p

danceyogamom
02-21-2005, 12:10 AM
I agree, it's a strong natural instinct for people. However, Man (& Women) are supposedly much more intelligent and advanced then the rest of the animal kingdom. You'd think we'd eventually get smart enough to say, ENOUGH brats already.

Of course, the religious kooks are encouraging everyone with a pulse to screw their heads off and make babies. That group of people are so brainwashed, we don't stand a chance.

The problem is that most people don't plan ... hell, my daughter (my first child) was an accident (due to bc malfunction). We did not plan her; and my ex and I are well educated, middle income, non-religious zealouts who always said we would carefully plan a family ... just didn't happen that way.

the world needs to keep procreating ... nothing will work if we don't. Its how much and in what population centers that is at issue.

Uber Commandante
02-22-2005, 12:21 PM
The problem is that most people don't plan ... hell, my daughter (my first child) was an accident (due to bc malfunction). We did not plan her; and my ex and I are well educated, middle income, non-religious zealouts who always said we would carefully plan a family ... just didn't happen that way.

the world needs to keep procreating ... nothing will work if we don't. Its how much and in what population centers that is at issue.

Hey DYM - I didn't mean that people should stop procreating. Hell, I've procreateded myself, and my daughter is the best damn thing I have ever done. All I'm talking about is the ability of a geographic area to sustain its population without outside intervention. Of course, it all gets complicated, because outside intervention is often what fucked shit up to begin with. For example: Prior to the 1960's and 70's, tribes in Africa held alot of collective knowledge about what types of 'drought foods' they could eat to survive droughts. And then American companies came in, and showed them hwo much food they could grow with our new amazing nutrients and pest control chemicals. And these companies even gave their new products away....for the first couple of years. People grew shitloads of certain foods that were NOT indinginous to the region, and let their native seed stocks die out.

Then the free chemicals stopped being free, and most people couldn't afford them. The new wonder crops stopped producing so wonderfully, and their native seed stocks had dwindled. No to mention the collective know I mentioned earlier. So, the drought hits, native seeds are gone, the wonder American companies have gone away, and now there are shitloads of new kids and no food to feed them. Enter Sally Struthers....

And the equation is not my opinion. Its an ecological fact that more food = more babies - for ALL species - not just humans. That is the ebb and flow of population growth/decrease. Part of the natural order.

Gold9472
08-13-2005, 07:52 PM
bump