PDA

View Full Version : Sen. Reid Calls On Bush, Cheney To Apologize

Gold9472
10-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Sen. Reid calls on Bush, Cheney to apologize
Democratic leader calls on them to ‘come clean’ in CIA leak case

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9867272/

(Gold9472: Reid really gets on my nerves. They should apologize? They should be ARRESTED.)

Updated: 10:44 a.m. ET Oct. 30, 2005

WASHINGTON - Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid said Sunday that President Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney should apologize for the actions of their aides in the CIA leak case.

Reid, D-Nev., also said Bush should pledge not to pardon any aides convicted as a result of the investigation into the disclosure of CIA officer Valerie Plame’s identity.

“There has not been an apology to the American people for this obvious problem in the White House,” Reid said. He said Bush and Cheney “should come clean with the American public.”

Reid added, “This has gotten way out of hand, and the American people deserve better than this.”

Cheney’s chief of staff, I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby, resigned Friday after he was indicted on five charges relating to statements he made to the FBI and a grand jury investigating the Plame leak.

Reid also said that Karl Rove, the president’ closest political adviser, should step down. Rove has not been charged with a crime.

The closest the indictment comes to Rove is its discussion of an unnamed senior White House official who talked to columnist Robert Novak about Plame and discussed the matter with Libby. That could describe Rove.

The prosecutor in the CIA leak case has said his investigation is “not quite done,” but declined comment on Rove during a news conference on Friday.

“If you ask me any name, I’m not going to comment on anyone named, because we either charged someone or we don’t talk about them,” Special Counsel Patrick Fitzgerald said.

When the investigation began, the White House denied that Rove had been involved. Bush promised to fire anyone on his staff responsible for such a leak. He later stepped back, saying just that he would remove aides who committed crimes.

“I think Karl Rove should step down,” Reid said. “Here is a man who the president said if he was involved, if anyone in the administration was involved, out they would go.”

Bush and Cheney gave glowing endorsements and expressed no criticism of Libby after the senior White House adviser was indicted, resigned and lost his security clearance.

Cheney called Libby “one of the most capable and talented individuals I have ever known.” Bush said Libby “has worked tirelessly on behalf of the American people and sacrificed much in the service to this country.”

Reid said he was disappointed that Bush and Cheney expressed support for Libby in their public statements.

“The vice president issues this very terse statement praising Libby for all the great things he’s done. Then we have the president come on camera a few minutes later calling him Scooter and what a great patriot he is,” Reid told ABC’s “This Week.”

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, said it was premature to discuss a presidential pardon because no one has been convicted in the investigation.

“People who actually were trying to use this, of course, to the president’s political disadvantage, I think, are going to be disappointed by the fact that this appears to be limited to a single individual,” Cornyn said.

Reid said the Libby indictment and other scandals in the Republican-led government — including the indictment of former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay of Texas and an investigation of Majority Leader Bill Frist of Tennessee — as well as 2,000 dead in Iraq and high energy prices have had a negative impact on the outlook of Americans.

“I think they’re as disappointed as I am .... almost dejected,” Reid said.

The president’s overall job approval was at 39 percent in an Associated Press-Ipsos survey conducted in early October. The poll also found that only 28 percent of respondents said the country was headed in the right direction.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

PhilosophyGenius
10-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Reid and that other lady are horrible leaderers for the dems. Dashel & Gephardt were better.

Gold9472
10-30-2005, 02:19 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Tom Daschle took part in the 9/11 Cover-Up. I don't know much about Dick Gephardt.

PhilosophyGenius
10-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Well Daschle isnt exactly my fav, but Gephardt is great guy, I rooted for him and Kerry in the primaries. I also wanted Kerry to pick Gephardt as his running mate. And I still think, to this day, that if Gephardt was Kerry's running mate, they would have won.

Good Doctor HST
10-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Harry Reid is the definition of a wuss. Never liked him, never will.

PhilosophyGenius
10-31-2005, 12:22 AM
Harry Reid is the definition of a wuss. Never liked him, never will.

exactly

dz
10-31-2005, 01:43 AM
dean needs to speak up and stick out his neck like he has so many times before.

PhilosophyGenius
10-31-2005, 02:47 AM
but when dean does speak up he always says something outrages which the right always uses to attack the left