PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 Celebrates 4th Anniversary

Gold9472
10-08-2005, 01:35 PM
9/11 celebrates 4th anniversary

http://www.gsusignal.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/10/07/43475b8b1872d

by Anthony Castillo
October 07, 2005

It is hard for many of us to believe that it has already been four years since that tragic September morning when four airplanes were hijacked and used as weapons against us. Yet another anniversary has arrived. Since then we have been fighting a war in Afghanistan for almost four years and one in Iraq for two and a half years.

For many Americans, the war in Afghanistan has almost been forgotten. It has been greatly overshadowed by the unpopular and seemingly endless war in Iraq. A war that has uncovered no strong evidence of ties to terrorism and much less, weapons of mass destruction.

After four years of fighting the “War on Terrorism,” we still have many questions left unanswered. Such as how did our government allow the attacks to happen (Gold9472: LIHOPer! LIHOPer!), where is Osama Bin Laden and why did we have to go into Iraq?

September 11th also left us with a new agency known as the Department of Homeland Security and a new law called the Patriot Act. The Patriot Act was introduced as a law to help combat terrorism, but its laws give the government legal power to tighten the screws on American freedoms.

For any of us who are frequent flyers, we are reminded of September 11th when we have to arrive at the airport 2 hours early and take off our shoes. There are always those few people in line who complain about all of the safety measures. We must never forget what lack of airport security cost us. We must never forget how vulnerable we really are. For being one of the most modern countries in the world, the United States has long since had third world security at its ports. Most other countries have had heavily armed security at its airports for years.

When students were asked how September 11th impacted their lives and how they felt about the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, opinions were of a similar vein.Sydney Baldonado, a student at GSU, felt things remained the same.

“There are not really any changes in my life,” Baldonado said. “I live my life like I did before 9/11. I think now after the hurricane, we need to focus on things back home and use our supplies here.”

Student Lori Brown offers a differing opinion:“I was in N.Y. when it happened. My mother saw the towers fall down. It really made me appreciate what I have. I think it is just the U.S. looking for someone to blame.”

This year and every year we should all take a moment to reflect on our lives and observe Patriot Day in some way. Perhaps we should take time to thank our veterans or light a candle out on the porch that night, but what ever you decide to do, always remember how vulnerable we really are. Amid all of the protest against the war and the calls to bring our troops back home, our leaders in government must not forget that this country was established based on a government for the people by the people.