PDA

View Full Version : Supernova Storm Wiped Out Mammoths?

Gold9472
10-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Supernova Storm Wiped Out Mammoths?

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_print.html

By Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News
9/28/2005

Sept. 28, 2005— A supernova blast 41,000 years ago started a deadly chain of events that led to the extinction of mammoths and other animals in North America, according to two scientists.

If their supernova theory gains acceptance, it could explain why dozens of species on the continent became extinct 13,000 years ago.

Mammoths and mastodons, both relatives of today's elephants, mysteriously died out then, as did giant ground sloths, a large-horned bison, a huge species of armadillo, saber-toothed cats, and many other animals and plants.

Richard Firestone, a nuclear scientist at the U.S. Department of Energy's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, who formulated the theory with geologist Allen West, told Discovery News that a key piece of evidence for the supernova is a set of 34,000-year-old mammoth tusks riddled with tiny craters.

The researchers believe that in the sequence of events following the supernova, first, the iron-rich grains emitted from the explosion shot into the tusks. Whatever caused the craters had to have been traveling around 6,214 miles per second, and no other natural phenomenon explains the damage, they said.

They think the supernova exploded 250 light-years away from Earth, which would account for the 7,000-year delay before the tusk grain pelting. It would have taken that long for the supernova materials to have showered to Earth.

Then, 21,000 years after that event, the researchers believe a comet-like formation from the supernova's debris blew over North America and wreaked havoc.

Firestone said they think the formation created superheated hurricanal winds in the atmosphere that rolled across North America at 400 kilometers per hour (about 249 mph).

"The comet (-like event) was followed by a barrage of hot particles. If that didn't kill all of the large animals, then the immediate climate changes must have," said Firestone.

Firestone said smaller animals could have sought shelter more readily, by going into caves or underground.

The findings were presented at last weekend's "World of Elephants" international conference in Hot Springs, S.D.

In addition to the tusk evidence, the scientists said arrowheads from North America's prehistoric Clovis culture, which went extinct around 13,500-13,000 years ago, Icelandic marine sediment, as well as sediment from nine 13,000-year-old sites in North America, contain higher-than-normal amounts of radiation in the form of potassium-40 levels.

Potassium-40 is a radioactive isotope, meaning a molecule that emits radiation.

Magnetic particles also were unearthed at the sites. Analysis of these particles revealed they are rich in titanium, iron, manganese, vanadium, rare-earth elements, thorium and uranium.

These elements all are common in moon rocks and lunar meteorites, so the researchers think the materials provide additional evidence that North America was bombarded 13,000 years ago by material originating from space.

Luann Becker, a University of California at Santa Barbara geologist, told Discovery News she was not surprised by the new supernova theory, since extinction events have been linked to similar comet or asteroid impacts before.

"What is exciting about Dr. Firestone's theory is that it can be easily tested," Becker said, and indicated she hopes future research will yield additional clues from North American and other sediment layers.

laurabears
10-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Interesting!

Gold9472
10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
I try...

Partridge
10-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Imagine what life would be like if we still had all those uber-animals like the mammoth, sabre-tooth (my favourite animal of all time!) and the giant ground sloth. It would be totally awesome.

Then again, they'd probably be on the verge of extinction anyway thanks to all these big game hunter/wankers. "Look at me. I shoot animal. Me man! Ug! Ug!"

Yeah, go fucking wrestle a tiger, if you've got any of your manhood left afterwards you'll be doin' well.

Gold9472
10-04-2005, 08:08 PM
They would have no different lives than the Elephant, just like you said... hunted, etc...

beltman713
10-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Was it a champaign supernova?

Gold9472
10-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Was it a champaign supernova?

Always the jokester man... what about the poor Mammoths?

beltman713
10-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Fuck `em.

Gold9472
10-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Fuck `em.

You bastard... the poor extinct Mammoths!

princesskittypoo
10-04-2005, 08:59 PM
we can always do a jurasic park exhibit with the extinct mammoths for you gold.

laurabears
10-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Imagine what life would be like if we still had all those uber-animals like the mammoth, sabre-tooth (my favourite animal of all time!) and the giant ground sloth. It would be totally awesome.

Then again, they'd probably be on the verge of extinction anyway thanks to all these big game hunter/wankers. "Look at me. I shoot animal. Me man! Ug! Ug!"

Yeah, go fucking wrestle a tiger, if you've got any of your manhood left afterwards you'll be doin' well.

If those animals were still here we wouldn't be . . . we would be saber tooth tiger prey!

princesskittypoo
10-05-2005, 02:29 AM
If those animals were still here we wouldn't be . . . we would be saber tooth tiger prey!
so true laura. if the big ones were still here we'd probably still be carrying around spears and eating at a campfire every night.

anyone want some marshmellows?

laurabears
10-05-2005, 01:15 PM
As long as there are gramcrackers and chocolate to go with!

princesskittypoo
10-05-2005, 08:04 PM
As long as there are gramcrackers and chocolate to go with!
i'll go with the chocolate but leave the gramcrackers at home *yuck*

laurabears
10-06-2005, 12:36 AM
i'll go with the chocolate but leave the gramcrackers at home *yuck*

Dude smores are great!