PDA

View Full Version : Vice President: NY's Senior Congressman Is "Losing It"

Gold9472
10-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Vice president: NY's senior congressman is "losing it''

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--rangel-cheney1003oct03,0,5169523.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

By DEVLIN BARRETT
Associated Press Writer
October 3, 2005, 4:00 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- Vice President Dick Cheney suggested Monday that Rep. Charles Rangel, the dean of New York's congressional delegation, is "losing it" _ striking back after months of verbal abuse from the Harlem lawmaker.

Rangel had criticized Cheney in recent interviews, saying the vice president, who has had four heart attacks, might be too sick to perform his job.

"I would like to believe he's sick rather than just mean and evil," Rangel told NY1, the New York City-based all-news channel.

In an interview with nationally syndicated radio host Rush Limbaugh, the 64-year-old Cheney suggested it was the 75-year-old Rangel who may not be up to the demands of his job.

"I'm frankly surprised at his comments. It almost struck me _ they were so out of line, it almost struck me that there was some _ Charlie was having some problem," said Cheney.

"Charlie is losing it, I guess."

Rangel, the ranking Democrat on the House Ways and Means Committee, is one of Congress' most caustic critics of the Bush administration. He has denounced their handling of the Iraq war, tax policy, and a host of other matters.

He did not immediately return a call for comment Monday.

Rangel, 75, escalated his verbal broadsides on Cheney in late August, when the same news station asked him if President Bush was spending too much time on vacation.

"Oh no, it makes the country a lot more safe," Rangel said. "The further Bush is away from Washington, the better it is. And sometimes I don't think even Cheney is awake enough to know what's going on."

Cheney, 64, has had four heart attacks, quadruple bypass surgery, two artery-clearing angioplasties and a pacemaker placed in his chest. An annual heart checkup in July found him in good health.

On Sept. 24, Cheney had surgery to repair aneurysms behind both knees and was walking with a cane last walk as a result.