PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Government "Dysfunctional" - McKenna

Gold9472
09-30-2005, 07:57 PM
U.S. government 'dysfunctional': McKenna

http://www.cbcunlocked.com/artman/publish/article_540.shtml

(Gold9472: Holy Shit! I didn't think Canadians could spell Disfunkshunall)

By Neil Herland, CBCUnlocked
Updated: Sep 29, 2005, 16:17

Canada's ambassador to the United States gives a failing grade to his new country of residence.

In a speech on Thursday to the Empire Club of Canada, Frank McKenna called the U.S. government dysfunctional and raised the alarm over America's growing budget deficit.

"The United States is a wonderful creation," McKenna said. However, "the government of the United States is in large measure dysfunctional."

McKenna began his term as ambassador in Washington six months ago. His speech in Toronto was delivered to an audience of businesspeople and politicians.

Among those who attended was David Wilkins, U.S. President George W. Bush's recently appointed ambassador to Canada.

"He sent us a tremendous ambassador to represent the interests of the United States of America," said McKenna.

In a joking reference to the ongoing softwood lumber dispute between the two countries, McKenna said Canada and the U.S. "are so close you can hardly get a stick of two-by-four between us."

Despite the quip, McKenna avoided the subject of lumber, choosing instead to emphasize the superiority of Canada to the United States.

Among the achievements McKenna boasted, Canada is the only major
industrialized country to post a budgetary surplus, over the past three years.

Canada is the biggest exporter of electricity, natural gas, and uranium to the United States. Canada is also now the biggest exporter of oil to the U.S., having displaced Saudi Arabia in 2004.

While McKenna admits the United States offers the best medical care to some of its citizens, he adds that, overall, Canada still has a higher average life expectancy.

McKenna also dismissed the concerns of Canadians who were offended when Bush failed to mention Canada in his State of the Union address after Sept. 11.

"Back when it happened I felt so self-conscious and so concerned that we in Canada would care about whether we had to be mentioned in a speech by somebody," said McKenna. "Are we so self-conscious or so unsure ourselves as a nation that we need that validation constantly from others as to who we are and what good neighbours we might be."

Wilkins commended McKenna's speech afterwards.

"I think Frank McKenna is a great orator and he's a good friend and he gave a pretty compelling speech about the attributes of Canada," said Wilkins, adding that he wasn't offended by the jabs at his homeland.

"The United States is a beacon of light for so many people throughout the world, I could not be prouder of my country and I quite frankly did not take personal the remarks of Mr. McKenna in any way."

Wilkins says the destruction of hurricane Katrina has increased the demand for lumber, though he says the trade dispute between Canada and the U.S. will only be resolved through further negotiation.