PDA

View Full Version : Cindy Sheehan Calls John McCain A "War Monger" After Meeting With Him

Gold9472
09-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Peace Mom' Cindy Sheehan Meets McCain

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050928/ap_on_go_co/peace_mom_mccain

(Gold9472: Although I agree with her knowing McCain like I do, I know she's going to get A LOT of flack for this from Bill O'Reilly, and the like... "How dare she call John McCain, an American Hero, a "War Monger"...)

By JENNIFER TALHELM, Associated Press Writer 24 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Peace mom Cindy Sheehan didn't change her opposition to the war in Iraq after meeting Tuesday with one of its supporters, Sen. John McCain, a Vietnam veteran whom she called "a warmonger."

Sheehan thanked McCain for meeting with her, but she came away disappointed.

"He tried to tell us what George Bush would have said," Sheehan, who protested at the president's Texas home over the summer, told reporters. "I don't believe he believes what he was telling me."

McCain, R-Ariz., also seemed disappointed in the meeting, which he said had been misrepresented as including some of his constituents. Only one person in her small delegation has ties to the state, and that person no longer lives there.

The two exchanged views about the war, and McCain described the conversation as "a rehash" of opinions already well known. He said he might not have met with Sheehan had he known none of his constituents was in the group.

Although McCain has criticized the handling of the Iraq war, he has supported President Bush's call to stop terrorism abroad before it reaches the U.S. Sheehan, whose son, Casey, died in Iraq last year, has energized the anti-war movement with her call for troops to be brought home.

"He is a warmonger, and I'm not," Sheehan said after meeting with McCain. "I believe this war is not keeping America safer."

"She's entitled to her opinion," McCain said. "We just have fundamental disagreements."

Sheehan's conference with McCain was one of several scheduled this week as part of her campaign to persuade members of Congress to explain the reasons for the war. She spoke before a massive anti-war rally Saturday on the National Mall and was arrested Monday demonstrating in front of the White House.

Sheehan and McCain had met once before, shortly after the funeral of her son. Sheehan said Tuesday that McCain told her then that her son's death was "like his buddies in Vietnam" and that he feared their deaths were "for nothing." McCain, however, denied he made such a statement.

beltman713
09-27-2005, 08:45 PM
She is going to end up shooting herself in the foot going along this line, although I do think McCain has sold out.

Gold9472
09-27-2005, 08:49 PM
She is going to end up shooting herself in the foot going along this line, although I do think McCain has sold out.

She's speaking the truth... since when did that become something wrong? UGH...

beltman713
09-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Because some people might start listening to what she has been saying about the war, but then she says something like this and they stop listening.

Gold9472
09-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Because some people might start listening to what she has been saying about the war, but then she says something like this and they stop listening.

She's taking a chance, I'll admit... already said what's going to happen... in fact... I bet O'Reilly will do it tonight.

PhilosophyGenius
09-27-2005, 10:59 PM

I feel you on that. Like it either turns many people off, or it gives something for the right wingers to attack her with.