PDA

View Full Version : Cindy Sheehan Arrested In Front Of The White House

Gold9472
09-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Sheehan Arrested During Anti-War Protest

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050926/ap_on_re_us/war_demonstrations

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050926/capt.dcpm10109261817.war_demonstrations_peace_mom_ dcpm101.jpg

By JENNIFER C. KERR, Associated Press Writer
4 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Cindy Sheehan, the California woman who has used her son's death in Iraq to spur the anti-war movement, was arrested Monday while protesting outside the White House.

Sheehan and several dozen other protesters sat down on the sidewalk after marching along the pedestrian walkway on Pennsylvania Avenue. Police warned them three times that they were breaking the law by failing to move along, then began making arrests.

Sheehan, 48, was the first taken into custody. She stood up and was handcuffed, then led to a police vehicle while protesters chanted, "The whole world is watching."

Others who were arrested also cooperated with police. Sgt. Scott Fear, spokesman for the U.S. Park Police, said they would be charged with demonstrating without a permit, which is a misdemeanor.

Park Police Sgt. L.J. McNally said Sheehan and the others would be taken to a processing center where they would be fingerprinted and photographed, then given a ticket and released. The process would take several hours, he said.

Sheehan's 24-year-old son, Casey, was killed in an ambush in Sadr City, Iraq, last year. She attracted worldwide attention last month with her 26-day vigil outside President Bush's Texas ranch.

Sheehan was among several hundred demonstrators who marched around the White House on Monday and then stopped in front and began singing and chanting "Stop the war now!" Organizers had said some planned to be arrested.

The demonstration is part of a broader anti-war effort on Capitol Hill organized by United for Peace and Justice, an umbrella group. Representatives from anti-war groups were meeting Monday with members of Congress to urge them to work to end the war and bring home the troops.

The protest following a massive demonstration Saturday on the National Mall that drew a crowd of 100,000 or more, the largest such gathering in the capital since the war began in March 2003.

On Sunday, a rally supporting the war drew roughly 500 participants. Speakers included veterans of World War II and the war in Iraq, as well as family members of soldiers killed in Iraq.

"I would like to say to Cindy Sheehan and her supporters don't be a group of unthinking lemmings. It's not pretty," said Mitzy Kenny of Ridgeley, W.Va., whose husband died in Iraq last year. The anti-war demonstrations "can affect the war in a really negative way. It gives the enemy hope."

Gold9472
09-26-2005, 02:58 PM
My question is... why is that woman who lives across from street of the White House allowed to stay there as long as she wants? You've seen her... she was in Fahrenheit 9/11. She is a homeless person, who literally lives on the sidewalk across from the White House.

Gold9472
09-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Freedom of assembly is the freedom to associate with, or organize any groups, gatherings, clubs, or organizations that one wishes.

Freedom of assembly is held to be a key right in liberal democracies, whereby citizens may form or join any political party, special interest group, or union without government restrictions.

In legal systems without freedom of assembly, certain political parties or groups may be banned, with harsh penalties for any members. Public protests against the government are usually banned as well.

somebigguy
09-26-2005, 03:42 PM
If they arrest her like that, then they see her as a threat.

911=inside job
09-26-2005, 03:44 PM
no dude, this happens all the time... you cant just sit anywhere you want in this country... this is not a big deal.. its good that she got arrested because now she will be on the 5 oclock news and people will feel sorry for her....

911=inside job
09-26-2005, 03:46 PM
shit, last year here in the city they were arresting hundreds of protesters everyday for like a week!!! HAHAHA!!!! the bay area rules!!!!!

power to the people!!!!!

somebigguy
09-26-2005, 03:51 PM
no dude, this happens all the time... you cant just sit anywhere you want in this country... this is not a big deal.. its good that she got arrested because now she will be on the 5 oclock news and people will feel sorry for her....
Yeah, but they said she was the "first" person arrested, they targetted her I would say, possibly to try to start a riot and take all credibility away from the movement, lets hope they keep it civil.

laurabears
09-26-2005, 04:00 PM
Riot is such a dirty word. They were peacfully protesting. They had no intention of starting a roit. They understood that by participating in civil disobediance that they had to also face the consequences of getting arrested. And sure it gets her on the news. She feels it is helping her cause. Any way to spread her word.

Gold9472
09-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Keep in mind, this is the third time she's been "silenced".

In Crawford, TX, she wasn't allowed to speak to the President.
In New York City, an event was shut down as soon as she took the stage, not before. The reason was a permit was missing, but the promoter of the event said he applied for a permit, and never heard from anyone.
Today in Washington, D.C. she was the first to be arrested in a crowd of 100's.

Now you tell me, is she being targetted, or isn't she?

laurabears
09-26-2005, 04:03 PM
I never said she wasn't . . . of course she is being targeted . . . hello she is the one seen as a threat!

Gold9472
09-26-2005, 04:07 PM
It wasn't directed at you.

somebigguy
09-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Riot is such a dirty word. They were peacfully protesting. They had no intention of starting a roit. They understood that by participating in civil disobediance that they had to also face the consequences of getting arrested. And sure it gets her on the news. She feels it is helping her cause. Any way to spread her word.
I agree, but they might have been trying to piss people off enough to make a scene and make the anti-war protesters look like nutbars. I just hope the protesters keep their cool.

PhilosophyGenius
09-26-2005, 04:24 PM
shit, last year here in the city they were arresting hundreds of protesters everyday for like a week!!! HAHAHA!!!! the bay area rules!!!!!

power to the people!!!!!

Well I defitnely agree with that.

PhilosophyGenius
09-26-2005, 04:35 PM
It's absolutley silly, the fact that you need a permit to protest. The whole point of protesting is to get your point across by making a huge scene and disturbing everything. Anyways...

laurabears
09-26-2005, 05:14 PM
I agree, but they might have been trying to piss people off enough to make a scene and make the anti-war protesters look like nutbars. I just hope the protesters keep their cool.

I think they will.

911=inside job
09-26-2005, 05:21 PM
It's absolutley silly, the fact that you need a permit to protest. The whole point of protesting is to get your point across by making a huge scene and disturbing everything. Anyways...
tru dat!!!!

i think she was arrested first was because she is the leader of the group... like i said its no big deal... now, if they dont let her out of jail today then there is a problem...

laurabears
09-26-2005, 05:23 PM
tru dat!!!!

i think she was arrested first was because she is the leader of the group... like i said its no big deal... now, if they dont let her out of jail today then there is a problem...

Well yea . . . she is the one on the front page of the paper . . . she is the dangerous one!

911=inside job
09-26-2005, 05:24 PM
there was like 10 rightwingwackjobs and about 50-100 pro jew protesters in san fransico.... i think theyre just trying to start trouble....

PhilosophyGenius
09-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Well yea . . . she is the one on the front page of the paper . . . she is the dangerous one!

It's just like Donahue said, she got just a little too famous for the pro-war minority.