PDA

View Full Version : Iran 'Will Stick To Nuclear Plan'

Gold9472
02-09-2005, 11:16 PM
Iran 'will stick to nuclear plan'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4252019.stm

The US believes Iran is getting closer to developing nuclear arms

Iranian President Mohammad Khatami has said Tehran will never give up nuclear technology, as international pressure on his government continues to mount.

He warned of "massive" consequences if Iran was treated unfairly.

Mr Khatami said again that the nuclear programme was peaceful and needed to produce power, rejecting US suspicions that it is a cover for weapons.

EU powers want Tehran to end uranium enrichment - a key part of nuclear arms production - permanently.

"We give our guarantee that we will not produce nuclear weapons because we're against them and do not believe they are a source of power," Mr Khatami told foreign ambassadors in Tehran.

"But we will not give up peaceful nuclear technology," he added.

'Our clear right'

In Washington, President George W Bush said a nuclear-armed Iran would be "a very destabilising force in the world" and urged the West to work together to stop such an outcome.

The message was reinforced by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice during a tour of Europe this week.

She said Washington had no deadline to refer the issue to the United Nations Security Council for possible sanctions, adding that diplomacy had to be given every chance to work.

While talks with Germany, France and Britain continue in Geneva, Iran has suspended uranium enrichment, which can be used to make weapons-grade fuel.

But in his speech Mr Khatami said that enrichment was "our clear right" and that Iran had suspended it only "to show our goodwill".

He added: "If we feel others are not meeting their promises, under no circumstances would we be committed to continue fulfilling ours.

"And we will adopt a new policy, the consequences of which are massive and would be the responsibility of those who broke their commitments."

The European countries would like to use a package of incentives to induce Iran to give up its nuclear ambitions, but Tehran has said it is disappointed with what is on offer so far.

It says it can only continue talks for a matter of months, not years.

Enriched uranium can be used to produce nuclear power, but the technology behind it can also be used to develop weapons-grade nuclear material.

princesskittypoo
02-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Iran 'will stick to nuclear plan'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4252019.stm

The US believes Iran is getting closer to developing nuclear arms

Iranian President Mohammad Khatami has said Tehran will never give up nuclear technology, as international pressure on his government continues to mount.

He warned of "massive" consequences if Iran was treated unfairly.

Mr Khatami said again that the nuclear programme was peaceful and needed to produce power, rejecting US suspicions that it is a cover for weapons.

EU powers want Tehran to end uranium enrichment - a key part of nuclear arms production - permanently.

"We give our guarantee that we will not produce nuclear weapons because we're against them and do not believe they are a source of power," Mr Khatami told foreign ambassadors in Tehran.

"But we will not give up peaceful nuclear technology," he added.

'Our clear right'

In Washington, President George W Bush said a nuclear-armed Iran would be "a very destabilising force in the world" and urged the West to work together to stop such an outcome.

The message was reinforced by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice during a tour of Europe this week.

She said Washington had no deadline to refer the issue to the United Nations Security Council for possible sanctions, adding that diplomacy had to be given every chance to work.

While talks with Germany, France and Britain continue in Geneva, Iran has suspended uranium enrichment, which can be used to make weapons-grade fuel.

But in his speech Mr Khatami said that enrichment was "our clear right" and that Iran had suspended it only "to show our goodwill".

He added: "If we feel others are not meeting their promises, under no circumstances would we be committed to continue fulfilling ours.

"And we will adopt a new policy, the consequences of which are massive and would be the responsibility of those who broke their commitments."

The European countries would like to use a package of incentives to induce Iran to give up its nuclear ambitions, but Tehran has said it is disappointed with what is on offer so far.

It says it can only continue talks for a matter of months, not years.

Enriched uranium can be used to produce nuclear power, but the technology behind it can also be used to develop weapons-grade nuclear material.

Why is it ok for us to have nuclear weapons and it not destabilize our immediate surroundings but if tehrain (iran) has them then the whole community aruond thm would fall apart. *hoping that sounded intelligent*

Gold9472
02-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Sometimes you just gotta take a step back, and go watch some stupid T.V. I'll see everyone tomorrow. Nite.

Gold9472
02-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Why is it ok for us to have nuclear weapons and it not destabilize our immediate surroundings but if tehrain (iran) has them then the whole community around them would fall apart. *hoping that sounded intelligent*

Perfectly. ;)

Gold9472
02-09-2005, 11:29 PM
Plastered On Their Front Page

http://home.comcast.net/~gold9472/iranwarning.gif
2/9/2005 10:33pm

I can hear them now... "Let's kick us some Iranian Ass!!!"

danceyogamom
02-09-2005, 11:45 PM
Plastered On Their Front Page

http://home.comcast.net/~gold9472/iranwarning.gif
2/9/2005 10:33pm

I can hear them now... "Let's kick us some Iranian Ass!!!"

I'm sure we can recycle the Iran jokes from the 80's. Isn't retro in?

hummm ... I very remember the "i-o-tola is an ass-a-hola" one very clearly

Ophie
02-10-2005, 01:56 PM
Why is it ok for us to have nuclear weapons and it not destabilize our immediate surroundings but if tehrain (iran) has them then the whole community aruond thm would fall apart. *hoping that sounded intelligent*
My thoughts exactly.

Gold9472
02-10-2005, 02:10 PM
My thoughts exactly.

Ophie... isn't Canada considered part of the Free World? Does Canada support the United States's aggressive nature?