PDA

View Full Version : Protesters Want Answers On 4th 9/11 Anniversary

Gold9472
09-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Protesters want answers on 4th 9/11 anniversary

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/09112005/news/62255.htm

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/9_11.jpg
Members of Seacoast Peace Response draw attention to questions surrounding the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks during a rally in Market Square on Saturday.

By Elizabeth Kenny
ekenny@seacoastonline.com

PORTSMOUTH - It’s been four years since American planes were hijacked and used as bombs against our own buildings. Four years have passed since the world seemed to stop and the unthinkable suddenly became reality.
It’s been four years, and some on the Seacoast say questions are still unanswered.

On the eve of the anniversary, about a dozen people, most of who are members of the Seacoast Peace Response, gathered in Market Square, holding signs with the questions they say need to be answered about the terrorist attacks that changed our country forever.

"Why were the warnings of the 9/11 attack ignored?" one poster read. "Why was no one fired after 9/11/? Why would President Bush try to prevent a 9/11 investigation?"

Pat Galloway of Eliot, Maine, said she questions "if there are things the government is trying to keep from us."

When asked how she felt if some passers-by questioned the way the organization was remembering the tragic event, Galloway said their actions and their questioning were in memory those who perished.

"We’re honoring the dead by bringing the truth to light," she said. "If you let those deaths go without finding the truth behind it, that to me is dishonoring the dead and their families."

The visibility in Market Square was meant to inform of a free film being shown today at 7 p.m. at the South Church in Portsmouth. The film "Truth and Politics: Unanswered Questions about 9/11" will be followed by a discussion with members of the public.

Others mingling in Market Square on Saturday were asked if they’ve stopped to think about the four-year anniversary of the terrorist attacks. Many people immediately compared the tragedy to Hurricane Katrina, which rocked the Gulf Coast last week.

"It’s going to happen again," Michael Price said when asked about the terrorist attack. "And we’re not ready for it, as you can see by Katrina. ... We’re going to have another Sept. 11; it’s inevitable."

Price’s wife, Maureen, said "a day doesn’t go by that I don’t think about the people we lost."

The Prices said they supported those who were holding signs Saturday.

Vivian Bingham of Dover said she held a question sign because she compares the terrorist attacks with a mystery.

"You should ask, ‘Who has benefited from this happening,’" Bingham said. "Well, we know Bush and company wanted to go to war with Iraq."

Bingham said the Bush administration was looking for a reason to go to war, regardless of the fact Iraq did not have a connection to the attacks.

Eliot resident Cynthia Milley passed by the group, smiled and thanked them for their work.

"I’m very glad to see people out, saying something about the absurd Bush administration," Milley said. "They are getting away with far too much - they are getting away with murder, in my opinion."

Phyllis Killam-Abell of Exeter said she devoted her Saturday evening to holding the signs because she hoped passers-by may begin to question and learn more about the issue.

Robinson Smith, a Air National Guard member stationed at Pease in Newington, walked past the group and later said they should have considered a "pro-active" approach.

Guard member Jeff Deyoe said he agreed.

"They could do some investigating themselves," he said. "At least they are doing it peacefully."

somebigguy
09-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Damn, I would have loved to be there, Jon, didn't you go anywhere???

Gold9472
09-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Damn, I would have loved to be there, Jon, didn't you go anywhere???

No... having car trouble.

somebigguy
09-11-2005, 11:11 AM
No... having car trouble.
Hahaha, driving a Chevy no doubt!!!

Gold9472
09-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Hahaha, driving a Chevy no doubt!!!

Honda... 2 years old. Bite me.

PhilosophyGenius
09-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Good