PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 Rescuers Receive Posthumous Medals

Gold9472
09-09-2005, 09:05 PM
9/11 Rescuers Receive Posthumous Medals

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-5267856,00.html

(Gold9472: In spite of the fact that I KNOW this to be a photo opportunity, (why would you wait 4 years later, at a time when your approval rating is in the toilet to do something like this... JUST in time for the anniversary?) they DESERVE all the accolades they can get. Remember how EVERYBODY wanted to own an FDNY or PDNY hat, t-shirt, jacket? Remember WHY you wanted to own them? Because of the valor and sacrifice shown by SO MANY individuals that day. They were HEROES to everyone. One of the reasons I fight "this" fight is FOR those individuals.)

http://home.comcast.net/~gold9472/wtctribute.gif
Made on the eve of September 11th, 2001 by yours truly

By DEVLIN BARRETT
Saturday September 10, 2005 1:16 AM

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush honored 442 firefighters, police officers, and rescuers who died Sept. 11, awarding posthumous Medals of Valor to their families at a White House ceremony Friday.

``A proud America will always stand in the shadow of their service and sacrifice,'' Bush told a crowd of some 1,200 friends and family, who wore cards with the names of their lost loved ones.

In the crowd, Dena Smagala smiled and videotaped the president's speech as her three-year-old daughter Alexa, wearing red, white and blue ribbons in her hair, played barefoot in the grass of the south lawn of the White House.

Smagala was five months pregnant with Alexa when her husband Stanley Smagala, a firefighter in Brooklyn, died responding to the World Trade Center.

``This means everything - everything that my husband stood for and worked for, and it will mean more to my daughter when she's old enough to understand, because she never knew him.''

The 9/11 Heroes Medal of Valor were created by Congress. Those in attendance Friday included Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, Sen. Charles Schumer of New York, and New York congressmen Peter King, Vito Fossella, and Joseph Crowley.

Crowley had pushed hard for the Sept. 11 medals, citing the loss of his firefighter cousin John Moran.

For the Sept. 11 families, the ceremony was an emotional and inspiring reminder of their loved ones' final moments helping others.

Arlene Howard, mother of Port Authority police officer George Howard, said she was ``very honored, because my son saved a lot of lives, and he wasn't even working that day. He was off, and he rushed in from home to help.''

When hijacked planes struck the World Trade Center, men and women with badges of all types responded immediately.

The Sept. 11 attacks killed 343 members of the Fire Department of New York City, 50 Port Authority police officers and assistants, 23 New York Police Department officers, three state court officers, and members of the Secret Service, the FBI, and private ambulance workers.

princesskittypoo
09-09-2005, 09:25 PM
i remember that day so vividly. i'm sure everyone does. how could you not? so many people were lost but we saw so many people standing up to help. to try and do something good during the caos. and still people are fighting so that this doesn't ever happen again. truth will always win over lies. it just may take time for it to shine through.

Gold9472
09-09-2005, 09:34 PM
i remember that day so vividly. i'm sure everyone does. how could you not? so many people were lost but we saw so many people standing up to help. to try and do something good during the caos. and still people are fighting so that this doesn't ever happen again. truth will always win over lies. it just may take time for it to shine through.

I hope so.

somebigguy
09-09-2005, 09:50 PM
I hope so.

The people that ran back into the buildings to help others are truly heros, not those that sit on their comfy chair at the white house. These people only thought about saving others and they suffered the most horrible consequences.

Lets remember this when those who survived the collapses such as the firefighters and Paul Rodriguez who saw/heard/felt explosives that day and make sure that those responsible pay the ultimate price.

Gold9472
09-09-2005, 09:53 PM
The people that ran back into the buildings to help others are truly heros, not those that sit on their comfy chair at the white house. These people only thought about saving others and they suffered the most horrible consequences.

Lets remember this when those who survived the collapses such as the firefighters and Paul Rodriguez who saw/heard/felt explosives that day and make sure that those responsible pay the ultimate price.

According to the laws of the land... ;)

Gold9472
09-09-2005, 10:46 PM
NEVER FORGET!!!

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0110/images/m44a.jpg

PhilosophyGenius
09-09-2005, 10:49 PM
GOLD9472 - Real American Patriot

HOLLLAAAA!!!