PDA

View Full Version : Saddam "Confessed To Crimes"

Gold9472
09-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Saddam 'confessed to crimes'

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16520754-23109,00.html

September 07, 2005

SADDAM Hussein has confessed to crimes and should be hanged "20 times a day", his successor as Iraq's president said today while confirming he will not sign a death warrant himself.

"Saddam deserves a death sentence 20 times a day because he tried to assassinate me 20 times," Jalal Talabani said in a lengthy interview on Iraqiya state television, recalling his own days as a Kurdish rebel leader fighting the Baghdad authorities.

Saddam had confessed to crimes, he said in answer to a question, though it was not clear what details Mr Talabani had of a legal process that is intended to be separate from Iraqi politics.

"There are 100 reasons to sentence Saddam to death," he said, two days after the Shi'ite and Kurdish-led government confirmed the deposed leader will go on trial on October 19, along with several aides, accused of killing 143 Shi'ite villagers after a failed assassination bid at Dujail in 1982.

Last week, Iraq hanged the first three criminals to be sentenced to death since Saddam's overthrow by US forces.

In that case, too, Mr Talabani refused to sign the warrant but handed responsibility to his Shi'ite vice president, Adel Abdel Mehdi. He explained his stance by saying that as leader of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan he had once signed up his left-wing party to an international ban on capital punishment.

"My not signing does not mean that I will block the decision of the court," Mr Talabani said, while stressing that political pressure would play no part in the judges' decision.

Saddam's main lawyer, Khalil al-Dulaimi, complained after meeting his client today that the October 19 trial date had not been agreed through the Special Tribunal set up to try Saddam and his closest associates.

"Setting a date for the trial within days, weeks or months is unacceptable because the court alleges that it has 36 tonnes of documents and the defence team cannot come to the trial without studying what the court has of evidence," Mr Dulaimi said after his meeting with Saddam.

PhilosophyGenius
09-06-2005, 06:31 PM
how bout the guys that put him in power and supported him ?

somebigguy
09-06-2005, 10:13 PM
I guess now that Saddam has confessed to his crimes and previously stated he was depressed there is nothing left but for him to do but kill himself long before his case goes to trial.

PhilosophyGenius
09-07-2005, 03:30 PM
I guess now that Saddam has confessed to his crimes and previously stated he was depressed there is nothing left but for him to do but kill himself long before his case goes to trial.

In all seriousness I think Saddam could plead insanity and might get a much lesser charge becuase after all, he is partly insane.

somebigguy
09-07-2005, 03:39 PM
In all seriousness I think Saddam could plead insanity and might get a much lesser charge becuase after all, he is partly insane.
Yeah, but I'm sure he will be "suicided" rather than actually commit suicide. Seems like all the loose ends have been tied up since he "admitted" to his crimes.

ehnyah
09-07-2005, 06:27 PM
remember how US troops were raping kids at abu-ghraib(under orders I suppose) in front of their parents and being video taped....

remember how we were getting all that "information" from the petty car thieves in Iraq, that "knew where al-qaeda was"...after a black bag and wires were attached to their genitals...

all of these people also confessed to their "crimes", we should ask John McCain about what he confessed to the vietnamese.

I suppose under torture, you will confess to whatever your torturer wants you to. Maybe if we rape some more kids, open up some more "detention centers", and call out some "enemy combatants"...we'll find out that aliens are about to invade and we must unite as one new world order to fight the evil doers who would take our "earthly" way of life.